Dublin and the ROI

I've been to Ireland loads of times for work and to visit relatives. I've always found everyone to be really welcoming and friendly. Dublin is great and the vibe in the city centre is really good and the Guinness is the best in Ireland. I do like the West Coast though and I've spent countless happy times in Galway, Wesport and Sligo. More recently I've discovered the amazing coast around dungloe in Co. Donegal. The Wild Atlantic Way is truly wild up there and is one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited.
totally agree, Galway and county of Mayo are great, I recently visited Donegal and the beaches around there are beautiful, did a boat tour from Donegal town which was brilliant, will definitely go back that way.

Give over.

"Are ye roight there Anto?"

Does anywhere else in the world use Anto as a shortened form of Anthony, by the way? I've never heard anything other than Tony, apart from in Dublin.
An Irish lad I worked with called me Anto and he was not from Dublin. He may have picked it up living there though.

You should be able to get a pint of the black stuff for no more than €6 whether in the city centre or further a field.
There’s many a great boozer just the other side of Dame Street that won’t fleece you like Temple Bar.

Or if you’re brave cross the river to the dark, sorry, north side.
Are Malahide and Portmarnock not North of the river? I have Aunties who live there and it was not a dark place where I went. Feck off houses and golf courses with beautiful beaches are what I remember. Not been back to that area for over twenty years though.

Anto
Damo
Stano
Rayo
Tommo…. Look at my own moniker.

Carroler
Doyler
Flynner
Marzer

Bottler.

And your point is?
Liamo
Johnno
Dermo
Dessie

I know the non Irish speakers will be saying these nicknames aren't shorter or more efficient than saying Liam, John, Dermot or Des.

That's not the point... :)

Dublins a great place, Belfast and Derry are on the up in the north, enjoyed both recently, but Cork is my favourite City in Ireland, cool place and really friendly people, not full of tourists either, watched city do the treble there too.
I would strongly recommend Galway or the west in General. Weather is shit, but if you get a decent day one best places in the world.

Last edited:
We go every February. Leitrim, Cork, Galway the last three. Think it’s Wicklow next February if anyone has any good hotel recommendations. Love the place. My favourite is Connemara. It’s stunning.

I want to drive the Wild Atlantic Way route soon and will plan hotels in the new year.
Wicklow is gorgeous. I would recommend Enniskerry. Some incredible walks lots of nice quiet pubs and restaurants. Enniskerry is more mountainous but your close to places like powerscourt and Glendalough. Both well worth the walk. If you fancy something more costal Greystones/Delganey is nice.

Also other spots in that direction, south East of Dublin Waterford and Wexford both very different but equally lovely.

Are Malahide and Portmarnock not North of the river? I have Aunties who live there and it was not a dark place where I went. Feck off houses and golf courses with beautiful beaches are what I remember. Not been back to that area for over twenty years though.
Both north of the river but not traditionally part of the city.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.