Dunne

I loved Richard Dunne and what he did in his time for City-but Toure and Lescott are far better footballers IMO.
I had no problem with the idea that Dunne was the past and that Lescott and Toure were the future.

Would Wenger have picked Dunne over Toure for Arsenal?I doubt it.
Would Moyes have picked Dunne over Lescott when he was showing the England form that persuaded Hughes to buy him?I doubt it.

Did any other top side come in for Dunne?Baring in mind he went for £5 million....No.

He's a "solid" defender who plays with his heart on his sleeve-but he still prone to major self-inflicted gaffs.

Our defensive frailties-with or without Dunne-are there for all to see....but IMO it's more about a lack of organisation rather than any lack of ability.
We can be spectacular going forward-but totally shambolic at the back,regardless of personel.

And the fact remains that's been a trait all the way through Hughes' reign at the club.

FletcherMoss said:
cibaman said:
Its not the first time that a player has rejuvenated his career by changing clubs, will not be the last.

His career didn't exactly need rejuvenating - he was player of the year in 4 of the past 5 seasons for us and he didn't want to go.

His own goals, conceded penalties, sendings off and basic errors directly leading to goals must have cost us about 12 points last year. He was a pale shadow of the player that won those 4 player of the year awards. I think Hughes would have been happy for him to stay, but not as skipper and first choice centreback. In the circumstances it was probably best for both City and Richard Dunne that he moved. It doesnt surprise me in the slightest that he's doing so well for Villa, but that doesnt mean that he would have played as well if he had stayed at City.

Dunne is playing at his peak at the moment, we're all aware that, when on form, Dunne can be one of the best defenders in the Premiership. The issue we had was that, when off form, his mistakes can be catastrophic. Maybe to find his best form Dunne needed a change of scenary as much as we needed an upgrade at centre half, I for one am delighted for him, he more than served his time at City in some truly dreadful teams. He deserves any success/plaudits he's getting.

I bet if they get Champions League football (which they won't) they'll try and replace him with someone better.

El Boy Wonder said:
Loving everyone getting all dewy and misty eyed about him now after he's left, im struggling to remember this defensive colossus. Everyone on here was slagging the shit out of him last seasonHe quite clearly went backwards last season, and fair fucks to him for moving on and upping his game, maybe thats what he needed

We have better defenders now, although i'll agree they need a rocket up the arse, and time will vindicate Hughes' decision and i doubt many on here will then applaud him for it

Not everyone.

El Boy Wonder said:
Loving everyone getting all dewy and misty eyed about him now after he's left, im struggling to remember this defensive colossus. Everyone on here was slagging the shit out of him last season

He quite clearly went backwards last season, and fair fucks to him for moving on and upping his game, maybe thats what he needed

We have better defenders now, although i'll agree they need a rocket up the arse, and time will vindicate Hughes' decision and i doubt many on here will then applaud him for it

He 'upped his game', this season, you numpty! Remember, he actually played our first few games? Remind me how goals were conceded by us in competitive games again...?

Bigga said:
El Boy Wonder said:
Loving everyone getting all dewy and misty eyed about him now after he's left, im struggling to remember this defensive colossus. Everyone on here was slagging the shit out of him last season

He quite clearly went backwards last season, and fair fucks to him for moving on and upping his game, maybe thats what he needed

He 'upped his game', this season, you numpty! Remember, he actually played our first few games? Remind me how goals were conceded by us in competitive games again...?

He clearly has upped his game this season, you numpty. I would have thought, despite all the contentious points raised in this thread, that the fact that he has upped his game was unquestionably true

Matty said:
Dunne is playing at his peak at the moment, we're all aware that, when on form, Dunne can be one of the best defenders in the Premiership. The issue we had was that, when off form, his mistakes can be catastrophic. Maybe to find his best form Dunne needed a change of scenary as much as we needed an upgrade at centre half, I for one am delighted for him, he more than served his time at City in some truly dreadful teams. He deserves any success/plaudits he's getting.

Come on, Matty!

What you've just said is that when Dunney was 'off form', there was nobody else to step in to the breach!! That's a sorry state of affairs when a player is relied on SO much! He is now playing at a team where he knows players know their positions, when to commit and when not to, so HE doesn't have to throw himself all over the place covering poor colleagues!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.