Dzeko and Negredo partnership

I still think we should only be playing 1 up top away from home unless we have Aguero and Negredo for two up top.

Craig said:
I know they had struggled playing together earlier in the season but at Blackburn the link up play between them was good. Their movement and understanding was starting to improve. The only problem was Negrado had a mare as he did at Swansea. Unusual for him because he's been outstanding for us but in them games his touch deserted him. Last night he was back to normal and they worked really well together.

I agree very good partnership allround. I would definitely play both of them against Newcastle. At least up to when Kun is back. It is the best team at time being. Behind them it is easy. Silva, Yaya, Fernandinho, Nasri. If Yaya will not play than put Milner IN. He can play DM very good. Not worse than Garcia I would say.

It's interesting that it's taken a video of Negredo hugging a smiling Dzeko and getting a bottle of booze to shake the myth that they can't play effective;y together-or at least to reframe it as they can only do so at home against relegation fodder like west ham.
But Manuel Pellegrini , who relies on video-based analysis of actual match incidents not impressions or body language, has known since October 30 thar Dzeko and Negredo can be a very effective pairing.
This was in an away game against top six contenders Newcastle, at St. James Park in the Capital One Cup.He'd not intended to try them out but was obliged to improvise due to an injury to Jovetic in the opening minutes. For much of the match the whole side didn't get going-until Silva replaced a floundering Rodwell. Then an exchange of passes between the two strikers put Negredo clear and he was only foiled by a fine reaction save from Krull. In extra time we seized the lead when Dzeko attacked Debuchy down the flank while Negredo made a parallel run in the centre. Dzeko nutmegged Debuchy while Negredo outran Mwanga- Mbiwa. Edin steered the ball across the six yard box and Alf promptly put it in the back of the net.
This would have come back to MP's mind after the injury to Aguero on december 14 with Jovetic still unavailable.
Since then he tried the pair in tandem at Craven Cottage but it didn't work that day.
Persevering at Ewood Park, he saw Negredo score from Dzeko's header . What's more, the pair were narrowly thwarted of a brilliant strike when Dzeko's pinpoint twenty yard through ball found Negredo. Alf turned Hanley in an instant but Spurr raced across with a perfectly timed interception, blasting the ball out for a corner just as Negredo was about to pull the trigger.
What followed was west ham, a hattrick for Alf, a brace for Edin with Edin' s assist for Alf's second goal and his part in Alf's third .
How wise was MP to disregard the cliches of lazy journalists and persist with the pair until the smiles and high fives all round let anyone with an open mind and eyes to see catch on to what his analysis had told him.

Barcon said:
I agree that it doesn't work (apart from Dzekos assist to Negredo for the goal), but what is the manager supposed to do, start with one striker against Blackburn?

MMMMM! I must have imagined the hat trick of Negredo and the two goals of Dzeco, 5 goals between them against West Ham, Nah! Your right, it;s not working!!

They have played as a partnership against Swansea, Fulham, Blackburn and for 40 minutes against Palace, and it didn't work at all in any of those games.

It worked great against a very poor West Ham at home, and I hope it continues to work so well.

Personally, I think against good sides, particularly away from home, we will get overrun in midfield playing two number 9s. It's different when Aguero is fit because he can drop in and make an extra man in midfield when needed. That doesn't come naturally to Negredo and Dzeko, that's why Swansea, Fulham and Blackburn won the midfield battle against us despite being far inferior sides.

We won two of those games, but we were far from our best, and if Swansea and Fulham had taken their chances the results could have been quite different. Better to learn from those warning signs that to learn from a loss.

Again, before the usual suspects jump on me if we beat Newcastle, I'd be as delighted as anyone if he plays them both up there and we tonk them 3-0.

grahamgor said:
It's interesting that it's taken a video of Negredo hugging a smiling Dzeko and getting a bottle of booze to shake the myth that they can't play effective;y together-or at least to reframe it as they can only do so at home against relegation fodder like west ham.
But Manuel Pellegrini , who relies on video-based analysis of actual match incidents not impressions or body language, has known since October 30 thar Dzeko and Negredo can be a very effective pairing.
This was in an away game against top six contenders Newcastle, at St. James Park in the Capital One Cup.He'd not intended to try them out but was obliged to improvise due to an injury to Jovetic in the opening minutes. For much of the match the whole side didn't get going-until Silva replaced a floundering Rodwell. Then an exchange of passes between the two strikers put Negredo clear and he was only foiled by a fine reaction save from Krull. In extra time we seized the lead when Dzeko attacked Debuchy down the flank while Negredo made a parallel run in the centre. Dzeko nutmegged Debuchy while Negredo outran Mwanga- Mbiwa. Edin steered the ball across the six yard box and Alf promptly put it in the back of the net.
This would have come back to MP's mind after the injury to Aguero on december 14 with Jovetic still unavailable.
Since then he tried the pair in tandem at Craven Cottage but it didn't work that day.
Persevering at Ewood Park, he saw Negredo score from Dzeko's header . What's more, the pair were narrowly thwarted of a brilliant strike when Dzeko's pinpoint twenty yard through ball found Negredo. Alf turned Hanley in an instant but Spurr raced across with a perfectly timed interception, blasting the ball out for a corner just as Negredo was about to pull the trigger.
What followed was west ham, a hattrick for Alf, a brace for Edin with Edin' s assist for Alf's second goal and his part in Alf's third .
How wise was MP to disregard the cliches of lazy journalists and persist with the pair until the smiles and high fives all round let anyone with an open mind and eyes to see catch on to what his analysis had told him.

I think 'wise' is pushing it on this one.

He had no real choice but to pair them in the recent games. He would have been a fool to abandon the killer 4222 at Blackburn and he would have been a fool to do it at home to west ham. The other factor is that he is a clever man manager and doesn't want dzeko getting into a sulk and going further off the boil.

That's certainly worked.

kenkladze said:
Barcon said:
I agree that it doesn't work (apart from Dzekos assist to Negredo for the goal), but what is the manager supposed to do, start with one striker against Blackburn?

MMMMM! I must have imagined the hat trick of Negredo and the two goals of Dzeco, 5 goals between them against West Ham, Nah! Your right, it;s not working!!
If you put it into perspective, didn't Edin score his goals when Negredo went off? And Yaya's pass and a deflected pass from Silva wouldn't constitute a great strike pairing tbf

I still don't think they're a partnership, two good strikers but not a partnership.

When you have Yaya, Nasri, Silva etc they'll create more than enough chances for whoever's upfront so when you mention the simple fact they scored 5 between them it should be noted that one was the result of play between each of them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.