Edin Dzeko

Status
Not open for further replies.
jknight said:
Bigga said:
[Excellent post, sir!
Mate, City fans have had sh*t opinions about players that play to the best of their ability, but are not world beaters, for decades! The closest resemblance to the modern day 'villain' Dzeko was one Shaun "The Goat" Goater. Balls bounced off him, left, right & centre! ut, you know hat? He had heart, like Edin & kept going. His partners were "world class" like Anelka and Fowler and STILL he matched them and outshone them on many an occasion.

Big Niall Quinn was another in the same mould. We loved those two cos they TRIED even if they weren't perfect! Edin is the better equivalent, but somehow, somewhere we've gotten a little 'fat', a little 'greedy' in wanting perfection.

There's something that I saw in Quinny, The Goat & now in Edin, that gives me an edge & raises expectation in me that they might and will pull something special out at moment's notice!

I really hope Edin stays.

I don't quite understand your point here. Are you saying that City fans are prepared to live with average players on the basis that they tried? Times change and with it so do expectations - is it unreasonable to expect a 27m striker to care and give 100% in every game he starts in?

Whats that got to do with your last point

the goats backside said:
jknight said:
Bigga said:
[Excellent post, sir!
Mate, City fans have had sh*t opinions about players that play to the best of their ability, but are not world beaters, for decades! The closest resemblance to the modern day 'villain' Dzeko was one Shaun "The Goat" Goater. Balls bounced off him, left, right & centre! ut, you know hat? He had heart, like Edin & kept going. His partners were "world class" like Anelka and Fowler and STILL he matched them and outshone them on many an occasion.

Big Niall Quinn was another in the same mould. We loved those two cos they TRIED even if they weren't perfect! Edin is the better equivalent, but somehow, somewhere we've gotten a little 'fat', a little 'greedy' in wanting perfection.

There's something that I saw in Quinny, The Goat & now in Edin, that gives me an edge & raises expectation in me that they might and will pull something special out at moment's notice!

I really hope Edin stays.

I don't quite understand your point here. Are you saying that City fans are prepared to live with average players on the basis that they tried? Times change and with it so do expectations - is it unreasonable to expect a 27m striker to care and give 100% in every game he starts in?

Whats that got to do with your last point

I'm making the point that £27m should buy you a much better than average player in every way: ability, temperament and professionalism. Dzeko is clearly a better than average player in terms of his ability but I question his temperament and his commitment to the club with some of his performances this season.

The issues many of us have with our Bosnian fans can be summed up pretty quickly, and clearly. We believe that many of them aren't City fans. They are, in fact, fans of Edin Dzeko. They didn't care about, or even know too much about, City prior to Dzeko joining us, and they will be gone, and not give a shit about City, as soon as he moves on. Now I'm sure that's a generalisation and that there will be some who will, to one degree or another, stay as City fans, but there will definitely be a large number who will not. It's those fans who we City fans have a hard time dealing with, their opinions are tainted by their allegiancies to the player and not the greater good of the team. In fact, in some instances, I'm sure there will be some who would rather Dzeko started every game, and City struggled/lost than he sat out matches and City won.

On the wider issue of foreign fans and our acceptance of them into the City "family", I personally don't have too many issues with that. There will be some who, having berated United fans for years for coming from Malaysia, Singapore etc will struggle to come to terms with our growing fanbase in these far flung places. However, this is modern football, the most important thing in remaining competitive is money, pure and simple. The best way, especially now FFP has been introduced, to have money to spend, is through expanding your influence and tapping into foreign markets. Sales, sponsorship, and corporate partnerships will follow. It's a neccessary element of modern football, and we need to accept this as a fact.

One thing I will say is that, in my mind anyway, there will always be a certain cache with supporting your local team. Foreign fans may not accept, believe or even understand the difference, but it will always be there. Foreign fans will, I'm sure, identify with the club. They will like what the club stands for, how it handles itself, the way they play football. They'll see where we've come from, and where we're going, and they'll want to be a part of it. That's great, and it's a big part of why we all support a particular team, but what it doesn't address is that "extra" element. City are my local team. I've never lived more than about 10 miles from City's ground (whichever ground that may be, The Etihad, Maine Road or indeed Hyde Road). My dad was a City fan. His dad was a City fan. I grew up in an era when City were piss poor. My local school was filled with United and Liverpool fans, City were a joke. But they were MY joke. Did I want us to be a global power, winning trophies? God yes. Did it change my opinion, or affection for them, simply because whilst United had Mark Hughes and Bryan Robson, we had Kenny Clements? Of course not. I'd grown up a City fan, I was always going to be one come what may. I've watched us play aganst Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Manchester United, but I've also watched us against Plymouth Argyle, Wycombe Wanderers, Grimsby Town and Lincoln City, all as equals. Football clubs began as community entities, over the next century or more that community link, to some, has seemed watered down, less important. Not to me. I could have found a club out there that did things I liked, that handled itself well, that played good football, that had come from modest surroundings to become a great side, one you'd be proud to be a part of. But I didn't. I was from Manchester. I was a City fan. Ultimately that was the only thing that mattered.

FFS. How special do you want? The guy is a goal machine.

I'm now hearing he may be going to Chelsea and if so, I'm worried. I guarantee this will come back to bite us in the backside!

Phuket Blue said:

I'm now hearing he may be going to Chelsea and if so, I'm worried. I guarantee this will come back to bite us in the backside!

I think selling him to Chelsea would be something we could regret - unless it was an exchange deal for Mata :-)

Matty said:
The issues many of us have with our Bosnian fans can be summed up pretty quickly,.

Well I have no problems with our Bosnian friends. No problem whatsoever.

Unfortunately some nasty people on this forum keep going on about "the bosnians" .. "the plastics" etc. These are veiled racist remarks and the sooner the moderaters realized this and dealt with these people the better.

I was once called a "Bosnian" (as if there's something wrong with being one) because I was praising Edin Dzeko on this forum.

-- Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:55 pm --

Phuket Blue said:

Mourinho loves big strikers like Dzeko. He has in the past worked with Drogba (Chelsea) and Milito (Inter Milan).

badman said:
Unfortunately some nasty people on this forum keep going on about "the bosnians" .. "the plastics" etc. These are veiled racist remarks and the sooner the moderaters realized this and dealt with these people the better.

If there are any genuine (or veiled) bosnian racist remarks made on this forum they should be reported. I have not read anything on this thread that would suggest people are being racist unless criticising Dzeko is regarded as racism?

badman said:
Matty said:
The issues many of us have with our Bosnian fans can be summed up pretty quickly,.

I was once called a "Bosnian" (as if there's something wrong with being one) because I was praising Edin Dzeko on this forum.

Don't half quote me.

The point I made was accurate, salient, respectful and above all, MY OPINION. This is a forum, we discuss our differing views. Don't attempt to tell me how to moderate the forum.

I'm Bosnian but I did not come here for dzeko I came here over a year before but I still don't like when people call him dogshit because he simply is not. The guy scores goals he may not make it look pretty but he does. If we sell him to Chelsea or arsenal it will bite us in the ass just wait and see. I would keep him at least till jan with the new coach and of it does not work sell him.

Matty said:
badman said:
Matty said:

Don't half quote me.

The point I made was accurate, salient, respectful and above all, MY OPINION. This is a forum, we discuss our differing views. Don't attempt to tell me how to moderate the forum.

I just did. Go ahead and ban me. I don't want nothing to do with a forum that allows people to make racist remarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.