Edin Dzeko

Status
Not open for further replies.
penalty spot said:
I have mixed feelings about Edin Dzeko.
He infuriates me at times when he seems to lose possession so easily.
And on another day he scores a thunderous goal with left or right foot.
Then with the penalty against Sunderland,

I shut my eyes and waited for the cheer, but
heard the jeers and had another slurp of beer.

Is this a poem?

For some reason I believe that MP knows more about football than pudge, pominoz and others I don't have time to mention. I wonder will they attack MP for supporting Edin.

Shock as manager openly supports one of his players.

First major opportunity to get rid and Dzeko will be gone. Simple.

penalty spot said:

it is quite easy to lose possession under pressure in that final third.

he got 15 goals last season, and he did not play as much time as van persie and suarez. give the lad more time on the pitch. more time=more goals.

bluethunder said:
penalty spot said:

it is quite easy to lose possession under pressure in that final third.

he got 15 goals last season, and he did not play as much time as van persie and suarez. give the lad more time on the pitch. more time=more goals.
Meh...

[bigimg]http://i.imgur.com/OAhTch3.png[/bigimg]

That's 3 full games and 4 other games of 75+ minutes in a 14 game, 11 hour, scoreless span. It's not as easy as you put it.

JahWorks said:
lol people get really emotional about Dzeko here.

He scores goals but he's a limited player. Suarez and Van Persie score goals as well but they have other skills. If Dzeko is our #1 striker next season you will all see early on the limitations of his game.

Mario Gomez scores alot of goals too but you see where Bayern got when they benched him.

You do not have the players Bayern has - that is the difference. There is no Robben, Müller, Ribery... Bayern can or might play a non-striker-system very often this season and will probably still be able to score abpit 100 goals in the league.

Gomez for Bayern somehow was a handicap - with him we could play less fluid and were somehow less dangerous or let's say more predictable. But that is something to say about Bayern - not about other clubs with other players. Bayern reached the CL final in 2010 with a permanent starting striker Olic, who's main trade was his workrate and running, and a 20-year-old Müller being the top scorer of the club.

A lot underrate Gomez - he is a great striker and would work great in probably the most clubs - even the top clubs of Europe. He just was wrong for Bayern - atleast partly even if he scored loads of goals.

Maldeika said:
JahWorks said:
lol people get really emotional about Dzeko here.

He scores goals but he's a limited player. Suarez and Van Persie score goals as well but they have other skills. If Dzeko is our #1 striker next season you will all see early on the limitations of his game.

Mario Gomez scores alot of goals too but you see where Bayern got when they benched him.

You do not have the players Bayern has - that is the difference. There is no Robben, Müller, Ribery... Bayern can or might play a non-striker-system very often this season and will probably still be able to score abpit 100 goals in the league.

Gomez for Bayern somehow was a handicap - with him we could play less fluid and were somehow less dangerous or let's say more predictable. But that is something to say about Bayern - not about other clubs with other players. Bayern reached the CL final in 2010 with a permanent starting striker Olic, who's main trade was his workrate and running, and a 20-year-old Müller being the top scorer of the club.

A lot underrate Gomez - he is a great striker and would work great in probably the most clubs - even the top clubs of Europe. He just was wrong for Bayern - atleast partly even if he scored loads of goals.
The same way Gomez besides his goals was a handicap for youse lot is the same way Dzeko is a handicap for us.

Martin, diehard City fanatic, born and raised in Manchester, elaborated on myth-making with this:

For the 2012-13 premier league:

Dzeko 14 goals @ 130 minutes per goal
Aguero 12 goals @ 162 minutes per goal
Tevez 11 goals @ 218 minutes per goal

* Goals scored in the FIRST HALF: Dzeko 8; Aguero 4; Tevez 3.
* Goals scored in AWAY games: Dzeko 8; Aguero 4; Tevez 2.

* Defining a KEY goal as one scored when City were drawing or losing at the time of the goal:
Dzeko 10 key goals @ 182 mins per key goal
Aguero 7 key goals @ 277 mins per key goal
Tevez 7 key goals @ 342 mins per key goal

Indeed, had it not been for Dzeko’s match-winning goals against Fulham, West Brom and Spurs, City’s pursuit of the premier league would have effectively been over by mid-November. It was after one of those games that David Platt highlighted the critical goals Dzeko has scored for City:
“If you look at Edin’s career for Manchester City, the goals he has scored, he has got a lot of heavy goals, goals that are very important. I remember goals at Blackburn the season before last which more or less gave us Champions League qualification. You look back at last season as well and he got some vital goals. To win the league, Aguero’s goal will always be the one but remember Edin equalised.”

As regards comparisons with other strikers, if penalties are excluded, Suarez was the only premier league striker with a better minutes per goal performance than Edin Dzeko in 2012-013. For the 2011-12 premier league season, Dzeko scored at a rate of 107 minutes per goal (compared to 111 mpg for Golden Boot winner van Persie).

Now some myths:

The idea that Dzeko only offers goals is a myth. For example, courtesy of Opta sports, for the 2012-13 premier league:

* defensive clearances: Dzeko 17; Aguero 1; Tevez 1.
* blocked opponents shots: Dzeko 6; Aguero 0; Tevez 3.
* duels won: Dzeko 126; Aguero 113; Tevez 123.
* aerial duels won: Dzeko 87; Aguero 5; Tevez 13.
* goal assists in open play: Dzeko 3; Aguero 2; Tevez 5.
* clear-cut chances created for others: Dzeko 7; Aguero 5; Tevez 8.
* Using the Opta definition of assists, the MINUTES PER GOAL INVOLVEMENT (i.e., goals + assists) were: Dzeko 107; Aguero 139; Tevez 127.

The worst myth concerns Dzeko’s first touch. In fact, Dzeko had fewer unsuccessful touches than Tevez (45 versus 50) and overran the ball much less often than Tevez (1 versus 7).
Anyone who watches very carefully Dzeko’s goals for Wolfsburg and for City will see that he scores an astonishing proportion with his first touch.

(courtesy of Martin, diehard MC fanatic :
<a class="postlink" href="http://soccerlens.com/why-manchester-city-should-hold-on-to-edin-dzeko/111009/#comment-196027" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://soccerlens.com/why-manchester-ci ... ent-196027</a>)

Dribbling known in Latvia as "Legbreaker"
dxHuQ.gif

santasa said:
Martin, diehard City fanatic, born and raised in Manchester, elaborated on myth-making with this:

For the 2012-13 premier league:

Dzeko 14 goals @ 130 minutes per goal
Aguero 12 goals @ 162 minutes per goal
Tevez 11 goals @ 218 minutes per goal

* Goals scored in the FIRST HALF: Dzeko 8; Aguero 4; Tevez 3.
* Goals scored in AWAY games: Dzeko 8; Aguero 4; Tevez 2.

* Defining a KEY goal as one scored when City were drawing or losing at the time of the goal:
Dzeko 10 key goals @ 182 mins per key goal
Aguero 7 key goals @ 277 mins per key goal
Tevez 7 key goals @ 342 mins per key goal

Indeed, had it not been for Dzeko’s match-winning goals against Fulham, West Brom and Spurs, City’s pursuit of the premier league would have effectively been over by mid-November. It was after one of those games that David Platt highlighted the critical goals Dzeko has scored for City:
“If you look at Edin’s career for Manchester City, the goals he has scored, he has got a lot of heavy goals, goals that are very important. I remember goals at Blackburn the season before last which more or less gave us Champions League qualification. You look back at last season as well and he got some vital goals. To win the league, Aguero’s goal will always be the one but remember Edin equalised.”

As regards comparisons with other strikers, if penalties are excluded, Suarez was the only premier league striker with a better minutes per goal performance than Edin Dzeko in 2012-013. For the 2011-12 premier league season, Dzeko scored at a rate of 107 minutes per goal (compared to 111 mpg for Golden Boot winner van Persie).

Now some myths:

The idea that Dzeko only offers goals is a myth. For example, courtesy of Opta sports, for the 2012-13 premier league:

* defensive clearances: Dzeko 17; Aguero 1; Tevez 1.
* blocked opponents shots: Dzeko 6; Aguero 0; Tevez 3.
* duels won: Dzeko 126; Aguero 113; Tevez 123.
* aerial duels won: Dzeko 87; Aguero 5; Tevez 13.
* goal assists in open play: Dzeko 3; Aguero 2; Tevez 5.
* clear-cut chances created for others: Dzeko 7; Aguero 5; Tevez 8.
* Using the Opta definition of assists, the MINUTES PER GOAL INVOLVEMENT (i.e., goals + assists) were: Dzeko 107; Aguero 139; Tevez 127.

The worst myth concerns Dzeko’s first touch. In fact, Dzeko had fewer unsuccessful touches than Tevez (45 versus 50) and overran the ball much less often than Tevez (1 versus 7).
Anyone who watches very carefully Dzeko’s goals for Wolfsburg and for City will see that he scores an astonishing proportion with his first touch.

(courtesy of Martin, diehard MC fanatic :
<a class="postlink" href="http://soccerlens.com/why-manchester-city-should-hold-on-to-edin-dzeko/111009/#comment-196027" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://soccerlens.com/why-manchester-ci ... ent-196027</a>)

Dribbling known in Latvia as "Legbreaker"
dxHuQ.gif
To see those stats corroborate what I knew to be true for a long time and despite being bombarded by subjective oppinions and media claiming opposite.. I must say, it's a good feeling.

Also to add, I can only imagine how Dzeko feels when he's being booed or marginalized by the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.