Edin Dzeko

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lewandowski hints at Bayern snub, alerting United, City and Chelsea to January switch

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2458593/Robert-Lewandowski-hints-Bayern-Munich-snub-alerting-Manchester-United-Manchester-City-Chelsea.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... elsea.html</a>

May be swap deal coming?

foetus said:
Matty said:
JasminBosnia said:
I agree, as far as strikers MP should pair Jovetic with Negredo vs. West Ham and rest Aguerro&Dzeko due to heavy and very important international games tomorrow. Dzeko could get some time in second half if we are chasing goal or two. Jovetic or Aguerro paired with Dzeko should be playing CC vs. Newcastle and Aguerro/Negredo vs. CSKA.

We all know Edin can contribute to a team even though he does not always score, he did it several times in the past. Not sure what is going on through his head when he doesn't perform well and he does not score. I think Zlaja mentioned "Balkan don't give a fuk syndrome" due to various reasons (i.e. when he is not in first 11, or MP did not praise him for good game, or "name a MCFC footballer" did not pass the ball to him, or whatever), but I don't think he has any issue with it. He is paid big money and should got over any delicate situation the quickest possible way.

Negredo showed some talent and dedication, he fight for the spot and he does it well. But, it takes more than 7 games to realize what kind of player he is. He might be ahead of Edin because he worked hard, just need to be more clinical.

I guess you all know strikers are not a problem this season, right?

City have got a huge number of games ahead of them this season so it's pretty obvious that all 4 striking options will get a decent amount of game time, some more than others, but all of them will play a significant part in our season. The issue Dzeko has is that he, as is understandable, wants to be the "go to guy" who is selected for the truly high profile matches. However his performances over the last 8 or 9 months haven't warranted his selection in these games. Simply put, if I'm looking to pick City's strongest possible lineup, for the match against Chelsea in a couple of weeks, then, assuming we start with 2 strikers, I'd be picking Aguero and Negredo. This is simply because, on form, and on contribution to the team, they are our best options at present. If Dzeko isn't happy about this then he has it within his own power to do something about it, all he needs to do is improve to the levels he has previously shown he can reach. If he can't, or won't, reach these levels, then he's no-one else to blame for not being the main option for City when it comes to strikers.

Everyone read what Matty has said. Summed the situation up perfectly imo
People say this all the time. Real Madrid has perhaps the same number of games. So does, Barcelona, Dortmund, Bayern, and Arsenal. None of them carry 4 strikers who want to play every game. I am not saying we must copy what every other team does. But, clearly we seem and are top heavy.

We need to let go of one in January, and unfortunately, Dzeko is the best bet.

daxman said:
foetus said:
Matty said:
City have got a huge number of games ahead of them this season so it's pretty obvious that all 4 striking options will get a decent amount of game time, some more than others, but all of them will play a significant part in our season. The issue Dzeko has is that he, as is understandable, wants to be the "go to guy" who is selected for the truly high profile matches. However his performances over the last 8 or 9 months haven't warranted his selection in these games. Simply put, if I'm looking to pick City's strongest possible lineup, for the match against Chelsea in a couple of weeks, then, assuming we start with 2 strikers, I'd be picking Aguero and Negredo. This is simply because, on form, and on contribution to the team, they are our best options at present. If Dzeko isn't happy about this then he has it within his own power to do something about it, all he needs to do is improve to the levels he has previously shown he can reach. If he can't, or won't, reach these levels, then he's no-one else to blame for not being the main option for City when it comes to strikers.

Everyone read what Matty has said. Summed the situation up perfectly imo
People say this all the time. Real Madrid has perhaps the same number of games. So does, Barcelona, Dortmund, Bayern, and Arsenal. None of them carry 4 strikers who want to play every game. I am not saying we must copy what every other team does. But, clearly we seem and are top heavy.

We need to let go of one in January, and unfortunately, Dzeko is the best bet.

If we had a winger/attacking midfielder (ronaldo, messi, ribery, robben type) who was guaranteed to score quite a few goals a season from the midfield then I'd agree. We tend to rely on our strikers a bit more than those teams so it's good to have 4 strikers just in case 1 or 2 were to get injured....even if it's hard keeping them all happy. In saying that, if Toure keeps scoring consistently then maybe we can afford to let one go :)

pudge said:
CaliforniaBlue said:
SrilankanBlue said:
@ManCityMEN 5h
Chance conversion rate 2013-14: Dzeko (12%), Negredo (25%), Aguero (40%) #MCFC

Looks like we're in business then, since the worst of those numbers is the same as Suarez' chance conversion rate in the Prem last season (and only 1% lower than Bale's). Three strikers as good or better than Suarez, and two of them better than anyone who scored 10 or more goals in the Prem last season (Chicharito was top at 23%)! Wow! I don't suppose the fact we've only played 7 games so far affects the validity of those numbers. No, of course not.

And for those who don't know, chance conversion rate isn't about how many goals you score from goal scoring chances (as you might naively assume), it's simply goals divided by shots (not sure of the source of the numbers shown above, but that's how everyone seems to calculate it). So having a good chance, but not scoring because you chose not to take a shot, fell over, miscontrolled the ball, or lost it some other way, doesn't count as a missed conversion, but a speculative effort form 25 yards does.

Also, I don't remember seeing it on here last March, but the following quote comes from the stats site eplindex.com on March 7 (<a class="postlink" href="http://eplindex.com/27890/how-well-does-your-team-convert-chances-premier-league-stats-comparison.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://eplindex.com/27890/how-well-does ... rison.html</a>);

"Manchester United’s Robin van Persie has actually improved his chance conversion by 2% up to 23%. He seems to be the difference in winning the title this season although, in comparison, Edin Dzeko’s chance conversion is at 25% (i.e. better than van Persie’s). The problem is that Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has only started Dzeko on 11 occasions this season which is surprising as this season they’ve required a lethal finisher."

I must have missed the clamour to make Edin the number one striker ahead of Aguero and Tevez at the end of last season based on those numbers...
33 games into last season Dzeko's conversion rate was 19%, if that was posted in March 7th then there were 28 games played at that stage, I can't imagine there was that drastic a drop so something's wrong...

Fletcher was the only striker with a rate of over 22% at that point too. Should've signed him up and dropped Aguero.

It certainly highlights the problems inherent in pulling stats off sites rather than calculating them yourself from the raw data - you can't check that they're doing it right, and often don't even know exactly how they're calculating things. Hence you can have competing stats and you don't know which is right.

I'm glad you agree that we shouldn't be slaves to these kind of statistics though - it's a lot more complicated than lining up 'chance conversion rate' for various strikers and using it to settle arguments about who's best.

neel said:
Lewandowski hints at Bayern snub, alerting United, City and Chelsea to January switch

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2458593/Robert-Lewandowski-hints-Bayern-Munich-snub-alerting-Manchester-United-Manchester-City-Chelsea.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... elsea.html</a>

May be swap deal coming?

We don't need anymore strikers, its one of our main problems as it means we always have to play with two up front. If we get rid of Dzeko we will be fine with what we have in that area. A defender is what we need.

CaliforniaBlue said:
pudge said:
CaliforniaBlue said:
Looks like we're in business then, since the worst of those numbers is the same as Suarez' chance conversion rate in the Prem last season (and only 1% lower than Bale's). Three strikers as good or better than Suarez, and two of them better than anyone who scored 10 or more goals in the Prem last season (Chicharito was top at 23%)! Wow! I don't suppose the fact we've only played 7 games so far affects the validity of those numbers. No, of course not.

And for those who don't know, chance conversion rate isn't about how many goals you score from goal scoring chances (as you might naively assume), it's simply goals divided by shots (not sure of the source of the numbers shown above, but that's how everyone seems to calculate it). So having a good chance, but not scoring because you chose not to take a shot, fell over, miscontrolled the ball, or lost it some other way, doesn't count as a missed conversion, but a speculative effort form 25 yards does.

Also, I don't remember seeing it on here last March, but the following quote comes from the stats site eplindex.com on March 7 (<a class="postlink" href="http://eplindex.com/27890/how-well-does-your-team-convert-chances-premier-league-stats-comparison.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://eplindex.com/27890/how-well-does ... rison.html</a>);

"Manchester United’s Robin van Persie has actually improved his chance conversion by 2% up to 23%. He seems to be the difference in winning the title this season although, in comparison, Edin Dzeko’s chance conversion is at 25% (i.e. better than van Persie’s). The problem is that Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has only started Dzeko on 11 occasions this season which is surprising as this season they’ve required a lethal finisher."

I must have missed the clamour to make Edin the number one striker ahead of Aguero and Tevez at the end of last season based on those numbers...
33 games into last season Dzeko's conversion rate was 19%, if that was posted in March 7th then there were 28 games played at that stage, I can't imagine there was that drastic a drop so something's wrong...

Fletcher was the only striker with a rate of over 22% at that point too. Should've signed him up and dropped Aguero.

It certainly highlights the problems inherent in pulling stats off sites rather than calculating them yourself from the raw data - you can't check that they're doing it right, and often don't even know exactly how they're calculating things. Hence you can have competing stats and you don't know which is right.

I'm glad you agree that we shouldn't be slaves to these kind of statistics though - it's a lot more complicated than lining up 'chance conversion rate' for various strikers and using it to settle arguments about who's best.
I don't think it was posted to settle any argument, but as a means of discussion.

Yet posters have disregarded it out of hand really without real acknowledgment, which is rather telling.

adorado30 said:
pudge said:
pudge said:
Would you be ever so polite to let me know what have I not answered?
No?

How ironic..

Also, I wouldn't say being called a "gobshite/****/coward and being labelled gay all within 5 minutes could be classified as polite, but those routine personal attacks would fall under stalking tbf

Pudge, have a drink or two, i was being sarcastic...

Pudge doesnt get sarcasm..he just reacts to it..

Badly!!

Joe Hart's Dandruff said:
neel said:

May be swap deal coming?

We don't need anymore strikers, its one of our main problems as it means we always have to play with two up front. If we get rid of Dzeko we will be fine with what we have in that area. A defender is what we need.
If dzeko or another striker leaves we need another. We would have negredo and that's it. Jovetic idk if you would call him a striker or what.

kanovic said:
Joe Hart's Dandruff said:
neel said:

May be swap deal coming?

If dzeko or another striker leaves we need another. We would have negredo and that's it. Jovetic idk if you would call him a striker or what.
Depends on whether our midfielders step up imo

If Yaya can continue to score regularly and if Silva and Nasri can start scoring more, they should both be 10-15 goal players at least then I think we could sustain 2/3 strikers depending on what you'd class Jovetic of course, but maybe need to bring in a legitimate back up rather than have 3/4 strikers of starting quality like we have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.