Elon Musk buys and ruins Twitter

Every time this thread pops up back to the top I wonder if Twitter has finally collapsed after reading all those predictions from a number of posters back in October/November that coincidently don’t post in this thread anymore.

What happened? Genuine question.

I never really used Twitter much in the usual way: on the app or the website, but I did sign up for it and I enjoyed a thing called 'Twitterfall' especially during a football match or a TV show like Newsnight or Questiontime.

I would follow the game or the news show with twitterfall on my PC cascading down relevant tweets.

About 3 weeks ago twitterfall shut down.

I assume E. Musk is responsible.

Shame really. It was a useful thing.

Every time this thread pops up back to the top I wonder if Twitter has finally collapsed after reading all those predictions from a number of posters back in October/November that coincidently don’t post in this thread anymore.

I don't mean this in the sense of people in this thread but generally it was a total overreaction by people out there who allow branded politics to dictate their lives and opinions. It seems on here to be the equivalent of the Tories making cars and even if they were good cars they still wouldn't buy one which is just sad really.

Because of this political 'hatred', those people suddenly foresaw the total collapse of companies like Tesla because Twitter was co-financed against the value of Tesla shares. Tesla shares did fall in the storm after Musk bought Twitter but as predicted the hype died away and the value of Tesla has rallied back to where it was.
You give Elon far too much credit.

They guy made some lucky investments and is fabulously wealthy. He's not a visionary genius, nor is he an able businessman.

He's got a bit of stage presence and can seem to be impressive - I'll give you that.

Yet many of his investments are shit - as are most of his ideas (look at the first few posts I made at the top of this thread).

Musk's biggest flaw though - is that he's entirely lacking in empathy.
I'm pretty sure that he said on SNL that he has Aspergers which indeed causes a lack of empathy.

Not quite, In his early days when he seemed to have a vision his goals did all lead to one thing. Mars, while it was a lofty goal and unrealistic in its time scales( and there’s a whole world of difference between a colony And a self sufficient colony, most debunking videos aim at the latter. And we are probably hundreds of years from that. ) , you can see all his investments were for that target. From Solar panels, EV’s, space X, Star link, the boreing company, All created towards a single goal of setting up a Mars colony.

Ever since he moved away from those core goals he’s nose dived into utter bellendary, his investments became more and more random, seemed to start with that random flame thrower thing and hyper loop, the robot one is jus utter bollocks.

Neuralink seems to be an interesting one that thankfully he seems to just have dumped money into and let the clever people so there thing.

And Twitter is just ego madness. He’s tainted any good he did long ago.
Read my opening posts about Elon's ideas at the top of this thread.

Elon's ideas have in most part been entirely unrealistic - some sort of Mars colony is fucking stupid - not stupid in the sense that it'll never work within the next 10 years - or ridiculously stupid in that it won't work within the next 50 years - or not stupid in the sense that we're at least a century out from a Mars colony... no, not any of these.

Fucking stupid in that maybe - just maybe - if mankind hasn't killed itself off by then - maybe in 200+ years a Mars colony is realized. Even so, that timeframe seems very doubtful.

Read my opening posts about Elon's ideas at the top of this thread.

Elon's ideas have in most part been entirely unrealistic - some sort of Mars colony is fucking stupid - not stupid in the sense that it'll never work within the next 10 years - or ridiculously stupid in that it won't work within the next 50 years - or not stupid in the sense that we're at least a century out from a Mars colony... no, not any of these.

Fucking stupid in that maybe - just maybe - if mankind hasn't killed itself off by then - maybe in 200+ years a Mars colony is realized. Even so, that timeframe seems very doubtful.

I did. I tend to avoid those random Anti musk videos as they are always one sided and exaggerated and half the time out of context in quotes etc. and always have been.

The problem is the term Colony vs Base. Both can be interchangeable and most debunking video's always jump to the grand vision of a self sufficient colony rather than 1st step. 1st step will always be a few scientists living in pretty shit conditions and regular rotation. the idea of a base/supplied colony is a million miles from anything like a self sufficient colony.

With the help of Space X NASA is hoping to get a Moon base started to be built 5 years from now. And are hoping to get astronaut's on Mars in 10/20 years. By then the Moon Base will be well and truly up and running and learnings from that will be applied to Mars.

The "Grand vision" Musk sell's for that Mars colony is clearly centuries away and was pure marketing hype to raise money, The reality is its likely to be either cramped pods or some tunnels dug with a remote Boring company tunnel drill, and that applies to both Moon and Mars.

There's no doubting tho, Most of Musk's decent ideas and investments come from the goal of a mars base/colony. pretty much everything else after that is garbage.

On a non Musk related thing, while talking about the moon base. a company has developed solar panels that an be made on the moon, only using materials found on the moon.

Last edited:
I did. I tend to avoid those random Anti musk videos as they are always one sided and exaggerated and half the time out of context in quotes etc. and always have been.
Huh?

Sabine Hossenfelder - for example, just naming one who is critical of Musk's ideas - is a well-respected, no-nonsense theoretical physicist. She knows her shit. Her critiques of Musk's ridiculous ideas aren't "one sided and exaggerated or out of context." - Musk's ideas are impractical now and in many cases, impractical for decades if not for centuries to come or possibly never, ever viable. In particular, his Mars colony ideas unless we're talking multiple centuries in the future - are outrageously ridiculous for many, many, many reasons.

I could go on and on and on about how stupid Musk's ideas are - but if you've actually watched the videos I've posted and think otherwise - well - then I can only conclude that you're so caught up in the Musk worship cult that you're unable to distinguish the ambitious from the impossible - blinded by Musk worship.

Last edited:
Huh?

Sabine Hossenfelder - for one as critical of Musk's ideas - is a well-respected, no-nonsense theoretical physicist. She knows her shit. Her critiques of Musk's ridiculous ideas aren't "one sided and exaggerated or out of context." - Musk's ideas are impractical now and in many cases, impractical for decades if not for centuries to come. In particular, his Mars colony ideas are outrageously ridiculous for many, many, many reasons.

I could go on and on and on about how stupid Musk's ideas are - but if you've actually watched the videos I've posted and think otherwise - well - then I can only conclude that you're so caught up in the Musk-worship cult that you're unable to distinguish impactable from ambitious - blinded by Musk worship.

Maybe I shouldn't have said "always", and used the term "Most of the time". Also, Sabine Hossenfelder's comments on Hyperloop have literally zero to do with the Mars colony I was talking referencing, and Id already said in a post above ( that you quoted ) that hyperloop is bollocks, and with the fact I think hyperloop is nonsense, no I've not watched her video debunking it.

Nice to see you ignored the rest of my post tho. where I mentioned about NASA being involved in the Base/Colony idea, I guess you think NASA's full of shit too?

Twitter is unquestionably worse than it was. It's shit now. But your not going to quantify his impact as its a private company now and they don't have to tell anyone how many users they have or what the add revenue is.

Time will tell as it was making a loss before and probably way more of a loss now so how long will Musk support it?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.