Elon Musk buys and ruins Twitter

That’s probably because a lot of people that use it don’t use it as an echo chamber - it has the capability to be that, as does any comms site on the internet, but that’s about the user rather than the platform itself, the exact same as it is even on this site. I’d actually argue it’s the complete opposite of an echo chamber, but it’s entirely down to how people personally want to consume content.

It has been blamed for Brexit with Facebook it was also blamed for Trump getting elected, people can't have it both ways and say it's only good when they use it.

It can be all of those things though.

It can be, it can also be a sewer and an echo chamber. Most publications have called it that because in the main it's pretty true.

The problems happen when something that you get for free you start to demand gets done in a certain way, people can just log off and leave it.

It can be, it can also be a sewer and an echo chamber. Most publications have called it that because in the main it's pretty true.

The problems happen when something that you get for free you start to demand gets done in a certain way, people can just log off and leave it.
So it’s up to the individual. I quote enjoy Twitter. It doesn’t take up much of my time, but the people I follow mean I get a decent mix of comedy, news, football and other fields that I enjoy.

If Twitter asks me to pay for my account, it’ll be shut down.

It has been blamed for Brexit with Facebook it was also blamed for Trump getting elected, people can't have it both ways and say it's only good when they use it.

Are you talking about social media in general there including Facebook too? With both it’s whether you judge them in terms of their capability as a platform or the actions of particular groups that use it.

I’m not going to argue social media has had significant detrimental effects though, although I’d argue a lot of that is educational issues as much as anything else that actually drives it.

It is whatever individual users choose it to be, that was my point.

Last edited:
So it’s up to the individual. I quote enjoy Twitter. It doesn’t take up much of my time, but the people I follow mean I get a decent mix of comedy, news, football and other fields that I enjoy.

If Twitter asks me to pay for my account, it’ll be shut down.

Ditto. Not sure any other form of media can provide what it does all in one place and I would miss it but no chance whatsoever I’d pay for it.

I’m not going to argue social media has had significant dentrimental effects though, although I’d argue a lot of that is educational issues as much as anything else that actually drives it.
Yep, if you spend hours and hours scrolling through, randomly ‘liking’ a pic/post of other people’s ‘perfect’ lives, it is a bit grotesque IMO. If you use it to keep in contact with friends and family, learn more about some specific interests, use it for keeping yourself sane (BM ish!) with a reasonable cross section of society that happens to support a football team in blue… then seems ok.

But mindless scrolling of people posting their latest outfit/meal/drink/pet… I’d say that’s an unhealthy task

Yep, if you spend hours and hours scrolling through, randomly ‘liking’ a pic/post of other people’s ‘perfect’ lives, it is a bit grotesque IMO. If you use it to keep in contact with friends and family, learn more about some specific interests, use it for keeping yourself sane (BM ish!) with a reasonable cross section of society that happens to support a football team in blue… then seems ok.

But mindless scrolling of people posting their latest outfit/meal/drink/pet… I’d say that’s an unhealthy task
Have a like. ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.