England wasting one of the most talented squads ever assembled on Southgate

I think it’s talented, but not obviously one of the most talented in my opinion.

There are a handful of players who are standout, but I think the crux of it for me, is that it’s definitely the most malleable squad.

Players today have the capacity to be shaped and forged into a system that can be incredible. They are more tactically astute, and some have been coached by the games best, or even game influencing coaches.

The fact we don’t have an established manner of play, or enough tactical intuition against the big boys and in finals, is a good indicator as to where Southgate is at as a manager. He’s not a winner. He’s a safe pair of hands, needed at first, instilled some pride, now is out of his depth.

I mean, we’re in Nations League C for fuck sake. The fact we’re playing Malta in these circumstances is embarrassing, and I won’t heap praise on it because it should be well below our level.

Probably the best of a bad bunch though......and in fairness to him,he hasn't performed badly at International level,his partnership with Stones is a very good one.
Hes been awful in the games that Ive seen admittedly I've not watch the farce of the last two games as England are playing well below their level as Southgate managed to get relegated, maybe he wanted to be the first manager to relegate a club and international team

Sorry, Im missing your point here
I cant be arsed with all the opinion because there's haters and likers, what he achieves almost doesnt matter...
You can say Southgate has the best ever generation and he's wasting them.
I can say He's got Maguire, Shaw, Rashford, who are all nowhere near the best in the world... Its all subjective.

For me the facts speak the loudest tbh. (I aint a big fan of him but he's clearly got us doing more than ever before). So lets not break whats clearly not broken.

Embarrassing thread for self entitled anti England fans that only really care about there own teams players being picked and don’t want England to succeed.

Southgate has one of the highest win percentages, took us to final of the Euros only losing on penalties and to a World Cup semi final - he has achieved far more than pretty much every manager since Alf Ramsey.

Going into the tournaments he has picked one of the youngest squads and starting line ups in the world, has managed to keep the unity and team spirit within the camp and has cemented himself as Englands manager after our performances at tournaments.

The reality is no England manager will ever please , it’s a massive ask to win a major tournament but even if we did , whoever is the manager will still get criticised, that’s the reality of modern day internet fans - all crying, whinging and moaning constantly mainly because they have a gripe against certain players being picked.

England play an awful brand of football that inhibits players at Southgate’s disposal.

Getting to a final and losing in it is not an achievement!

Our tactics in that final were fucking atrocious. We went 1-0 up and had better players than the opposition, we were at home, and then we sat back like a relegation scrapping team who’d luckily pinched an early goal trying to hold on against a title challenger.

It was a sackable offence that got him a new contract because of people like you saying he has achieved (he’s achieved absolutely nothing) more than other managers in past decades, like past decades have any bearing on what’s going on in the here and now (they don’t).

The only thing that matters now is how we play in this era with the players that are playing in this era and the results we get in this era against other teams of this era.

Comparing Southgate’s era to Sven’s, for example, who was manager when England played the greatest Brazil team/greatest international team Ive ever seen in that 2002 WC, is no comparison really.

Trying to not lose a 1-0 lead, against that Italy team that wasn’t all that good, was shit and was the reason it ended up at penalties. Instead of playing a sensible game and trying to make it 2-0, we played a scared-to-death shithouse game that had no further ambition to score any more goals and it ended up 1-1.

Getting relegated in that fairly mundane and straightforward Nations League group was also shit.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's still a team with Jordan Pickford, Harry Maguire, and Jordan Henderson in it.

Talented yes, but I think we should be careful of overestimation.

It's still a team with Jordan Pickford, Harry Maguire, and Jordan Henderson in it.

Talented yes, but I think we should be careful of overestimation.
It doesn’t have to be a team with any of those players, even in the squad.

Two teams who finished in the top four have English goalkeepers.

United’s manager chose Luke Shaw at centre back for United over Maguire a lot this season. England don’t need to be picking Maguire if United don’t even bother.

Henderson has been picked ahead of many better midfielders for England. Like Maguire, there’s no reason for him to be picked (other than experience).

I support City not England. I find it impossible to really cheer for a team with rags and dippers in it. I do it through gritted teeth in major tournaments but Im just not arsed. Even losing the Euros final I just found it funny St Marcus the dinner lady was the one to fuck it up.
It’s being so happy that’s keeping you going pal……

England will never beat a team ranked the same or above them in the latter stages of a competition with Southgate in charge. This has been proven over the last 3 tournaments and it be the same in Germany. The press and Rashford/Saka lovers are getting carried away again after two games against poor opposition. They will become as ineffective as they do against top class club opposition when facing the big boys. Expect the same dull safety first approach and poor in game management from the waist coat wonder!
Is ‘waistcoat wonder’ a negative or positive? If fashion is all he’s got to worry about then perhaps he’s doing ok.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.