England wasting one of the most talented squads ever assembled on Southgate

Mate you can throw as many stats and articles at us as you like to try and convince us that Southgate is a great manager, 95% of us aren't buying it.

Years ago the groups for qualifying for tournaments weren't seeded in favour of the big nations. As a result England and a few others didn't make it. This obviously impacted on TV viewing figures and crowds at tournaments. They soon realised their mistake and now qualifying groups are England hammering smaller teams and having maybe two half difficult games against an above average side. As a result we easily qualify.

We get to the tournament and scrape through a relatively easy group again to the knockout stages where we face a team we should beat. If we do that's where it starts to unravel. The chances are we face a decent side for the first time in ages. Southgate is then exposed for what he is, a lower premier league manager at best, or a championship manager, which is more his forte. He would be ideal at Norwich or a similar yo yo team. Romp to promotion looking good, then once he's in the presence of better quality fail miserably and get relegated.

The way the dice is loaded these days a nation like England should always reach the quarter final of a major tournament. If the fa and fans are happy with that stick with Southgate he can't fail.
Virtually all international games are against sub-standard teams. It is lower than Championship level. Even the WC is poor till the later stages. Southgate has found his level. It is where he took Middlesborough,

There are 9 players who came through City’s academy in the latest U21 squad (Trafford, C Doyle, THB, Wilson-Esbrand, Lewis, McAtee, Palmer, Edozie and Delap)

England are currently ranked 4th in the world. 2nd in Europe. I was pretty staggered to find us that high. But how many teams in the top ten would I be confident of us beating? I can’t think of a single one.

I realise you love to brown nose Southgate from your previous posts, but your sarcasm falls down when the facts show we have only beaten one of those teams in knockout stages since 1966!

and what's our record in the 70's/80's/90's got to do with Southgate and our current crop of young lads?

England are currently ranked 4th in the world. 2nd in Europe. I was pretty staggered to find us that high. But how many teams in the top ten would I be confident of us beating? I can’t think of a single one.

how many top nations would be confident of beating England ?

reminder of our recent results. 1 defeat in our last 10. we was also top scorers at the world cup which is strange considering how negative and boring we are.

and we can only play what's in front of us.

26 September2022–23 UEFA Nations League A Group 3England
23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png
3–3
23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
Germany
showLondon, England
21 November2022 FIFA World Cup Group BEngland
6–2
23px-Flag_of_Iran.svg.png
Iran
showAl Rayyan, Qatar
29 November2022 FIFA World Cup Group BWales
23px-Flag_of_Wales.svg.png
0–3
England
showAl Rayyan, Qatar

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.