England wasting one of the most talented squads ever assembled on Southgate

As expected, this thread is extremely long on anti-Southgate invective and extremely short on suggestions for who could replace him and do a better job. Strange how so many people can witter on in every thread about how terrible Southgate is, but never seem to suggest a better alternative. If he's so terrible, surely the great football minds here should not only be able to name possible replacements but also discuss their merits? But no, it's just easier to call Southgate a waistcoated wanker for the 137 billionth time and moan about him being an FA yes-man and being told to pick certain players, even though there is no evidence of this.

6 of ours ( some on loan) called up to the U21 ( Palmer of course now correctly listed as Chelsea)
No Rags In squad

I really can’t be arsed with England games. Maybe a boring manager is to blame. I would rather no city player was selected

As expected, this thread is extremely long on anti-Southgate invective and extremely short on suggestions for who could replace him and do a better job. Strange how so many people can witter on in every thread about how terrible Southgate is, but never seem to suggest a better alternative. If he's so terrible, surely the great football minds here should not only be able to name possible replacements but also discuss their merits? But no, it's just easier to call Southgate a waistcoated wanker for the 137 billionth time and moan about him being an FA yes-man and being told to pick certain players, even though there is no evidence of this.
I think we rumbled our resident hammer's dual username. Though, looking at his posting history, he doesn't use it very often!

If you want a nice cuppa tea I'd say that Gareth's your man. I bet he'd even serve it with a plate of biscuits. That's the class that this guy has.

Pep wouldn't give you a nice hot beverage. He'd probably have you make it yourself like a pure langball.

You guys don't know how lucky ye are. FFS.

Try being an Irish football fan. Our manager doesn't even have a kettle.

Who cares as long as England play and do well? Which Southgate has done for years now.
EC final , WC semi final , very rarely lose. He’s built and quality foundation and spirit with young lads.
We have a better squad (depth and consistently of the standard of players) than I’ve seen in my life. We have far more depth than when we had the so-called ‘Golden Generation’. This current crop is the most technically proficient and skilful set of players ever produced in this country and we have a manager who doesn’t know how to coach that standard of players.

Okay, we are not Brazil of 2002, but there are no teams of that quality in world football anymore. Apart from France and Argentina, we are there, around third best group of players on the planet for me.

While we aren’t 2002 Brazil, this list of names is better than Brazil (or Spain or Germany) have at present: Kane Foden Grealish Sterling Saka Maddison Rice Bellingham Eze Bowen Gordon Ward-Prowse Wilson Nketiah Rashford and that bloody idiot Toney (still a cracking player, when he’s allowed to play again)…

Yet Southgate’s tactics and team selection inhibits the quity at his disposal and inhibits our success.

It was Southgate’s tactics that saw us very nearly go out against Denmark in the Euros semi before even reaching the final, we got through despite Southgate that night. It was Southgate’s tactics that saw us relinquish a 1-0 lead at home against an inferior Italy team in the Euros final and it went to penalties (where he brought on two penalty takers on the final whistle who went up to take the penalties cold).

Similar to the Euros final, in the WC semi against Croatia, we went 1-0 up barely attacked again with any purpose to make it 2-0 all game. In both games we played like relegation fodder trying to hold on to a one goal lead we’d luckily nicked and had no quality to go on from there.

In last year’s WC he chopped and changed the midfield from game-to-game, always with the problem of whichever three were playing, they were too far away from each other considering the lack of pace in those selected and were too easy to dispossess and too easy to play through once we were dispossessed. If a team lacks pace, you have to condense the midfield area but he had us wide open.

We were relegated from a Nations League group that included the worst Germany and Italy teams of all-time, and Hungary.

If Moyes said he was retiring at the end of the season, would you want Southgate to take over at West Ham?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.