Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

There has always been a turnover of fans for lots of reasons:money, health, family, getting older. Last night was fantastic in the stadium. We are getting huge crowds and winning trophies. The demographic of our fanbase is getting younger which bodes well for the future.
I am not judgemental about those who come on here to moan about the club (I have done it myself from time to time) but this is the greatest time in history to be a City fan. I'm not going to miss a single second of it.
Agree with all of this, especially the part about not being judgemental as we all like a moan, but I do think we need to stop beating ourselves up. Last night the atmosphere was cracking, but as always it depends where you sit. In my experience, certain parts of the ground are more polite/reserved than others, it's the sweary bits of the ground where there's a proper old school vibe. But once you find somewhere where you know people will get involved, you can stop worrying about how it looks on telly or what's happening elsewhere in the ground, even if there's just ten of you giving it.

This is not Buenos Aires - it's not Dortmund (beyond the yellow wall not everyone is going bananas there anyway) - it's Manchester. We express ourselves in a way particular to the city and these islands, but it doesn't mean we are not passionate about the club. If nana doesn't want to sing constantly and just enjoys effing and jeffing at the ref with a big bag of wine gums then let her, we aren't drones.

I sang in choirs in Manchester all my youth, and I've said it before on here, I'm convinced the Scousers make a decent noise because there are trained voices in their support, rather than beered up singing from people who naturally have other things to do - like watching the football, chatting to the Blues around them about what's going on, etc. Last night the Scousers were silent for long periods anyway.

All there is to be done is when the North Stand expansion happens, let City Matters and 1894 give real thought to another singing section with mind to acoustics, maybe even put together a fans choir who can always make a noise, and offer cheaper tickets so teens can access the games. Until then we enjoy what we have - a great, loyal fanbase, a great ground, a great team, great ownership and the best soundtrack of Manc tunes in the country.

But like I say, from what I saw last night, from where I was, the support was passionate, constant and vocal. You don't have to sing for 90 minutes to truly support your club imo.

No you misunderstand, I saw a white banner with what looked like scribbled black writing on from behind.

I'm happy that it wasn't something cobbled together with a reference to the 39 Juve fans who as you will know play in black/white, as I don't think it would have shown us in a good light.

I get what your saying, but why on earth would city fans do that/you think we would either?

Is it an age thing?

Many drop off as other things in life take over, people develop their own perspective on what is important and worth the cost and hassle

The saturation of football on TV is also a cause. Years ago the only way you saw a game was to go, now it is 24/7. Plus the moving of fixtures to all times of the day is a ballache.

Our atmosphere at home is as good as any others clubs i have seen in this country and i have been most away games for the past 8 or 9 years. No one stands out.

Got to agree with this. The atmosphere at the majority of established Premier League clubs is no better than City’s. You get some exceptions when clubs come up e.g. Forest this season, but after a few years mid-table they tail off as well.

Got to agree with this. The atmosphere at the majority of established Premier League clubs is no better than City’s. You get some exceptions when clubs come up e.g. Forest this season, but after a few years mid-table they tail off as well.
Depends on who you play regarding the atmosphere, like I would be more up for Rita Ora than the monotonous bedroom boredom of marriage

I'm up in EL3 on the goal line and this year there has really been a difference in support. For years we were seeing a reduction in regulars and being replaced by blocks of seats sold by agencies to day trippers, some of which never came back for the 2nd half after hearing some choice language from me and my mate. Often we felt like lone wolves chanting the faves started by the South stand despite us both being in our 50's

This season, there are so many more fans who chant and get involved it's been great and it feels like lots of City fans are getting involved. Last night a fair few chants felt like they started up in the East Stand. Long may it continue.

Tim’s right about our fans not being very passionate anymore. Sure we can rouse ourselves for the big occasions but our default setting is pretty flat these days.

It’s an age thing of course. A huge block of our regular match going support are in their mid 40s and older. People can insist all they want that they’re just as passionate now as ever but they’re not. Nobody fucks their mrs the same now as they did in their early 20s, nobody fights the same, nobody has nights out the same - time takes the fire out of your belly.

The young uns in the south stand are brilliant and we need more of them.
There are 4/5 season ticket holders near where I sit , (mixed ages mid 20s to 50s )they take there seats 10/20 minutes after kick off , they leave 5/ 10 minutes before half time , they return a good 15/20 mins into the second half, I think they have hospitality somewhere and stay in the bar watching it on the telly.what is the fucking point. They don't even sing when they are watching the game, all around us are trying to get things going. Not even a" Come on City " Fucking useless.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.