Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

I think unless something drastic happens the atmosphere will always be shite. For me the club have priced out the fans that make the noise/ contribute to the atmosphere. They’ve diluted our support with tourists or people who aren’t bothered.

The south stand is a failure in my opinion and most of the people in it don’t sing or join on with any chants. We need a proper home end and the club need to reduce ticket prices otherwise nothing will change. You only have to go back to the Mancini era to see how great our fans can be.

I don’t blame the tourists for all our problems either, there’s so many long term blues who go out of habit. They sit there like robots most of the time

I think unless something drastic happens the atmosphere will always be shite. For me the club have priced out the fans that make the noise/ contribute to the atmosphere. They’ve diluted our support with tourists or people who aren’t bothered.

The south stand is a failure in my opinion and most of the people in it don’t sing or join on with any chants. We need a proper home end and the club need to reduce ticket prices otherwise nothing will change. You only have to go back to the Mancini era to see how great our fans can be.

I don’t blame the tourists for all our problems either, there’s so many long term blues who go out of habit. They sit there like robots most of the time
There are some massive overreactions in this thread.

All that’s happened is that we’ve hit a slump because of the World Cup, yet previous to this slump the atmosphere was the best it’s been in years and everyone seems to be forgetting that.

To end last season we had cracking atmospheres from March onwards against United, Liverpool, Watford, Madrid, Newcastle and the comeback against Villa was the loudest I think I’ve ever heard the Etihad, then to start this season we had cracking atmospheres against Bournemouth, Palace (even at 2-0 down we were right behind the team and drove them on to win with full belief we’d come back), Forest, United, Southampton and then Fulham where we went a goal down and then a man down with Cancelo getting sent off and - like the Palace game - we stuck with the team and drove them on to win in the full belief we could do it even with ten men… the team even did a lap of honour to thank the fans that day.

We’ve just - like the team - had a pre-and-post- World Cup slump. I don’t know if everyone else felt like me but that stupid fucking World Cup pissed me off no end. In the run up to it I wasn’t looking forward to it one bit (I turned up to the Brentford game pissed off that it was going to be our last game for six weeks!) and after it I felt unsettled coming back to watching the footy again. The season felt well off because of it.

We just need to get that slump out of the system and get back to last year’s levels.

There’s a massive overreaction about last night n’all. I don’t think I’ve ever experienced a decent early rounds domestic Cup atmosphere at Maine Road or the Etihad other than Leeds in the Fourth Round Proper in 2000 when we were top of the First Division (as it was then) and they were top of the Premiership (as it was then). Even against United in the Third Round Proper in 2012 it was flat as a witches tit in that first half. We played Liverpool at home in the Third Round Proper at Maine Road in 2003 and I don’t remember City fans singing all game because Liverpool were given the North Stand and all our singers didn’t seem to sit elsewhere, it was like they didn’t bother coming or we couldn’t fit them in. That was our last ever FA Cup tie at Maine Road and it was a terrible atmosphere against a local rival. It’s just what the early rounds of the Cups are like. Always have been always will be. And we will never outsing the away Cup allocation with our vocal area being drowned out by 7,000 fans under a roof above them.

I do think our vocal section needs moving. Leave any fans who want to give shit to away fans where they are, that’s fine. Especially if they like the new bar in SSL1. But move the vocal section over to the new North Stand, make it purpose built for being a vocal section.

But all this talk of how bad our atmosphere is and it’ll always be shite is plain wrong. In 2022 we’d got it above the levels of the Mancini era. In general since coming back from lockdowns we had been better than we had been pre-lockdowns. We’ve just been a bit shit in November, December and January recently.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some massive overreactions in this thread.

All that’s happened is that we’ve hit a slump because of the World Cup, yet previous to this slump the atmosphere was the best it’s been in years and everyone seems to be forgetting that.

To end last season we had cracking atmospheres from March onwards against United, Liverpool, Watford, Madrid, Newcastle and the comeback against Villa was the loudest I think I’ve ever heard the Etihad, then to start this season we had cracking atmospheres against Bournemouth, Palace (even at 2-0 down we were right behind the team and drove them on to win with full belief we’d come back), Forest, United, Southampton and then Fulham where we went a goal down and then a man down with Cancelo getting sent off and - like the Palace game - we stuck with the team and drove them on to win in the full belief we could do it even with ten men.

We’ve just - like the team - had a pre-and-post- World Cup slump. I don’t know if everyone else felt like me but that stupid fucking World Cup pissed me off no end. In the run up to it I wasn’t looking forward to it one bit (I turned up to the Brentford game pissed off that it was going to be our last game for six weeks!) and after it I felt unsettled coming back to watching the footy again. The season felt well off because of it.

We just need to get that slump out of the system and get back to last year’s levels.

There’s a massive overreaction about last night n’all. I don’t think I’ve ever experienced a decent early rounds domestic Cup atmosphere at Maine Road or the Etihad other than Leeds in the Fourth Round Proper when we were top of the Championship and they were top of the Prem. Even against United in the Third Round Proper in 2012 it was flat as a witches tit in that first half. We played Liverpool at home in the Third Round Proper at Maine Road in about 2003 and I don’t remember City fans singing all game, it was a terrible atmosphere against a local rival. It’s just what the early rounds of the Cups are like. Always have been always will be. And we will never outsing the away Cup allocation with our vocal area being drowned out by 7,000 fans under a roof above them.

I do think our vocal section needs moving. Leave any fans who want to give shit to away fans where they are, that’s fine. Especially if they like the new bar in SSL1. But move the vocal section over to the new North Stand, make it purpose built for being a vocal section.

But all this talk of how bad our atmosphere is and it’ll always be shite is plain wrong. In 2022 we’d got it above the levels of the Mancini era. In general since coming back from lockdowns we had been better than we had been pre-lockdowns. We’ve just been a bit shit in November, December and January recently.

Great post, think we just been spoiled and it’s natural! It’s how the rags fans were! Now look at them win naff all for five years and 0-0 at the swamp cheering when they won a throw in never got on there back years gone by they’d be moaning groans in the crowd! Arsenal the same! And why we need a clear out of the older players and 3/4 first team players this summer

We know the north, west and east stand are rarely noisy, but again parts of the south stand were making noise nearly all night, as per seemingly not carried at all to be heard.

Mate watched at home said the arse came off singing all night yet down in block 120 you couldn't hear them at all.

The acoustics and positioning of the nosiest fans all seem off.

Anyone who was sat at home and is calling the atmosphere wank, well you have no real way to know as are gauging it from what the mics pick up and again poor accoistics

Hardly, you think the owners are pleased with the piss taking ? I bet you if they’d had a crystal ball and seen what we’ve become they would’ve said fuck that and turned north to Newcastle or even the blue side of Stanley park.
But the representatives of the owners; the current off-pitch management goons, are responsible for annual price increases that some clubs seem to avoid. We keep being told match day revenue is dwarfed by sponsorship and broadcast income, yet the club continue pricing out regular fans and expanding corporate areas.
The club could argue the prices were low last night so those priced out could have made more of an effort, but people get out of the habit of attending and don't want to just turn up for the odd game every now and again.
It doesn't help that our noisiest fans want to be closest to the away fans, something that doesn't happen at many other grounds. - Any replies suggesting moving the away fans should be shoved where the sun doesn't shine as the police have spent twenty years saying it won't happen.

We know the north, west and east stand are rarely noisy, but again parts of the south stand were making noise nearly all night, as per seemingly not carried at all to be heard.

Mate watched at home said the arse came off singing all night yet down in block 120 you couldn't hear them at all.

Anyone who was sat at home and is calling the atmosphere wank, well you have no real way to know as are gauging it from what the mics pick up and again poor accoistics
I know I might be getting a bit paranoid but I watched it on TV last night & I swear when the arse fans were singing the mics were turned up & when we started singing the sound was turned down? Later in the game city fans started singing & the noise on the TV just suddenly went down?
Anyway I am off to take my pills & wait for the nurse to bring my breakfast.

Very true, i have a mate who's a match day editor for sky and BT et al, they just decide on the cuff when to turn crowd mikes up...again if were sitting on our hands he tells the camera man not to pan and so turns the volume down. Get a fat geordie wobbling about 'tap..less' and theres your camera shot = mics up etc.. were are not winning any battles here..might as well fuck the atmosphere monitors and enjoy the games. I do think players think we don't care though

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.