Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

Only club who hands over the main sections to the away fans, and hands them the initiative, used to do it at Maine Road in the latter days, and now do it at the Etihad, we turn our few singers into a minority, and expect them to compete, all on the club

The laser show started as a one off which in itself was different and interesting to a point. Then city bought the laser kit, hence why they're using it now.

The laser show is now being used for every night match, along with booming music, so is it any wonder people have given up singing before the start of the match as the players come out, and at the start of the match before kick off.

I bet if you asked every City player what they'd prefer, to a player they would say fans chanting over a laser show.

Tourist and day trippers probably love the laser show. It's razzamataz, showbiz, which goes alongside the whole day or evening attending a City match. Ask any other City fan and they'll rather have fans chanting and singing.

I hope the laser show eventually fizzles out. It will as the nights get lighter. But it will be back again in Autumn and in Winter later this year when the days get darker again.
All fair points JRB. I just noticed that South Stand L1 only filled up on kick off time from the start of this season, before tue laser shows got established.

I would prefer loud singing before the game but I think most fans would rather being the Lund / bars until kick off time, these days.

Hats off to the 1894 stalwarts who co tongue to try to make a difference.

True but it wasn’t badged as a singing stand, just a cheap one. I would have thought most 18-30’s do sing don’t they or is that wrong ? SS1 can be heard when everyone joins in but Arsenal we’re the only ones I could hear in the first half so it must have been fairly lacklustre in SS1

You’re right in the sense it was missed opportunity to do something, but there are loads of assumptions about young people and cheap tickets guaranteeing an atmosphere which I’m not convinced about. If we just assume that for the North Stand redevelopment and don’t take a smarter approach it could fail again.

I wouldn’t even say most 18-30’s sing. There seems to be more groups of them in the lower tier and when I’m down there plenty of them are completely mute. They’re also the ones that’ll be singing the latest new song and not the classics that get the whole ground going as has been discussed on here many times.

Not sure if there’s also an assumption that older supporters don’t sing. I’m getting on, but I sing every match. Giving groups freedom to sit together would be a big factor IMO, then again that might just attract non vocal groups who can’t sit elsewhere.

I don’t know the answer but one things for sure we’ll only get this chance once again (unless more singers relocate to the upper tier)

If Danny was designing the Matchday experience around the views of Bluemooners, we’d either have about 10k in the ground or the Club would be going bust for all the £10 season cards that had been dished out.

My own view is that the laser show is there to mask the lack of atmosphere. I hardly ever see it because I only get to my seat a minute or two before kick off.

People have the choice to learn the songs and raise their voices during the 90+ minutes. Most don’t. Fair enough. That’s said, if it had been a Prem game last night there’s a fair chance they Blues around the ground would have given their full backing fir the lads.
This is the thing. As long as there is a large number of people who won’t create their own atmosphere then we shouldn’t be surprised if the club fill the gap with how they think it should be. Especially because people have to innovate to justify their roles.

No doubt the game is clearly too expensive for the casual fan and there is some control freakery, but that doesn’t stop the thousands upon thousands of ordinary fans who still go and hold season tickets from making a noise. Some just choose not to.

And let’s be honest, the only thing constant in football is change. Before my time, but I know the kits of the Mercer-Allison years were super trendy then and I bet what now looks classic and timeless wasn’t universally liked then. Or Colin Bell’s hair - ‘too long, he looks like a girl…Trautmann, that’s a real man’. Or all the kids in lab coats in the 70s…must’ve looked like something out of a Clockwork Orange to parents and grandparents!

And what will the kid blues of today be saying fifty years from now, ‘do you remember them light shows…yeah, just about… those were the days, before the Metaverse ruined everything…’ So yes it’s a bit cheesy, but part of me thinks we have to enjoy each period in our history for what it is…

Only club who hands over the main sections to the away fans, and hands them the initiative, used to do it at Maine Road in the latter days, and now do it at the Etihad, we turn our few singers into a minority, and expect them to compete, all on the club
Police will always want the away fans at the south end of the stadium. I can't see that changing.

It seems they have a novel idea

DJ before a match and at HT
Laser show
winding up chelsea that season playing liquidator at them at the end

as they are one offs and unique fans rightly enjoy them and are positive, City however then decide to flog these to dead horse status making them tacky gimmicks and eventually turning people off them

Last edited:
The laser show started as a one off which in itself was different and interesting to a point. Then city bought the laser kit, hence why they're using it now.

The laser show is now being used for every night match, along with booming music, so is it any wonder people have given up singing before the start of the match as the players come out, and at the start of the match before kick off.

I bet if you asked every City player what they'd prefer, to a player they would say fans chanting over a laser show.

Tourist and day trippers probably love the laser show. It's razzamataz, showbiz, which goes alongside the whole day or evening attending a City match. Ask any other City fan and they'll rather have fans chanting and singing.

I hope the laser show eventually fizzles out. It will as the nights get lighter. But it will be back again in Autumn and in Winter later this year when the days get darker again.
True. But the way things are heading it won’t be long before the tourists / day trippers outnumber the proper blues.

This is the thing. As long as there is a large number of people who won’t create their own atmosphere then we shouldn’t be surprised if the club fill the gap with how they think it should be. Especially because people have to innovate to justify their roles.

No doubt the game is clearly too expensive for the casual fan and there is some control freakery, but that doesn’t stop the thousands upon thousands of ordinary fans who still go and hold season tickets from making a noise. Some just choose not to.

And let’s be honest, the only thing constant in football is change. Before my time, but I know the kits of the Mercer-Allison years were super trendy then and I bet what now looks classic and timeless wasn’t universally liked then. Or Colin Bell’s hair - ‘too long, he looks like a girl…Trautmann, that’s a real man’. Or all the kids in lab coats in the 70s…must’ve looked like something out of a Clockwork Orange to parents and grandparents!

And what will the kid blues of today be saying fifty years from now, ‘do you remember them light shows…yeah, just about… those were the days, before the Metaverse ruined everything…’ So yes it’s a bit cheesy, but part of me thinks we have to enjoy each period in our history for what it is…
Spot on, it’s human nature. To reminisce is to visit a beautiful time that will always be better than today is.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.