Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

You know what I hate, football fans and Pundits who claim to be knowledgeable but in reality know fuck all about your average fan.

Last night, just short of 8k Arsenal fans, full day out to get to Manchester for a 20: 00 ko.
Currently riding high and full of confidence, Fair play it's deserved and they top the league. Many drinks had and it's a day out.

City fans, generally a "normal" day for most, rush to the ground after working for an unusual Friday night game.

The situation would have been completely reversed if played at Emirates, 8k City in full voice, Arsenal sauntering in from "the City" and quiet as fuck.

That is modern day football, you have to graft to afford to go.

Correct.

Reverse the rolls.

Don’t forget.

The Emirates was empty last season. The atmosphere was shite bar the North London derby. Every time Arsenal played at the Emirates and it was on the TV you could hear a pin drop. Suddenly the Gooners have found their voices.

Last edited:
It seems I went to a different match to you lot.
I had a sore throat this morning as I spent the match abusing the ref (verbally I should add) cheering the team in Blue and a slagging the corporate banker from Essex in the away end.
I sit in CB3, a match is what you personally make it.

I had a sore throat this morning as I spent the match abusing the ref (verbally I should add) cheering the team in Blue and a slagging the corporate banker from Essex in the away end.
Some would rather sit in silence tutting at other fans they deem to be silent. Bizarre.

I was in 104 tonight and it was decent. Not great by any stretch of the imagination. The Israeli guy next to me joined in with loads of the chants.

I think it’s about time the people in SSL1 stopped lecturing everyone else in the ground about atmosphere. The 50 1894 guys are great but the rest of the stand are no better than the rest of the ground.
Having spent many, many years in SSL1/116, I would like to apologise to all my fellow Blues for having such a chip on my shoulder. Its a chip I had no idea was there, but apparently it was, and I am so, so sorry. I had no idea of the pain I was inflicting on my fellow Citizens.

I obviously need educating, so would be happy to attend any Bluemoon approved courses to address these behavioural issues.

Thanks for listening.

I thought it was superb last night especially in Block111. Friday night football start of the weekend a few sherberts in town and a lively singing section. Don't know what people are whinging about

There are some massive overreactions in this thread.

All that’s happened is that we’ve hit a slump because of the World Cup, yet previous to this slump the atmosphere was the best it’s been in years and everyone seems to be forgetting that.

To end last season we had cracking atmospheres from March onwards against United, Liverpool, Watford, Madrid, Newcastle and the comeback against Villa was the loudest I think I’ve ever heard the Etihad, then to start this season we had cracking atmospheres against Bournemouth, Palace (even at 2-0 down we were right behind the team and drove them on to win with full belief we’d come back), Forest, United, Southampton and then Fulham where we went a goal down and then a man down with Cancelo getting sent off and - like the Palace game - we stuck with the team and drove them on to win in the full belief we could do it even with ten men… the team even did a lap of honour to thank the fans that day.

We’ve just - like the team - had a pre-and-post- World Cup slump. I don’t know if everyone else felt like me but that stupid fucking World Cup pissed me off no end. In the run up to it I wasn’t looking forward to it one bit (I turned up to the Brentford game pissed off that it was going to be our last game for six weeks!) and after it I felt unsettled coming back to watching the footy again. The season felt well off because of it.

We just need to get that slump out of the system and get back to last year’s levels.

There’s a massive overreaction about last night n’all. I don’t think I’ve ever experienced a decent early rounds domestic Cup atmosphere at Maine Road or the Etihad other than Leeds in the Fourth Round Proper in 2000 when we were top of the First Division (as it was then) and they were top of the Premiership (as it was then). Even against United in the Third Round Proper in 2012 it was flat as a witches tit in that first half. We played Liverpool at home in the Third Round Proper at Maine Road in 2003 and I don’t remember City fans singing all game because Liverpool were given the North Stand and all our singers didn’t seem to sit elsewhere, it was like they didn’t bother coming or we couldn’t fit them in. That was our last ever FA Cup tie at Maine Road and it was a terrible atmosphere against a local rival. It’s just what the early rounds of the Cups are like. Always have been always will be. And we will never outsing the away Cup allocation with our vocal area being drowned out by 7,000 fans under a roof above them.

I do think our vocal section needs moving. Leave any fans who want to give shit to away fans where they are, that’s fine. Especially if they like the new bar in SSL1. But move the vocal section over to the new North Stand, make it purpose built for being a vocal section.

But all this talk of how bad our atmosphere is and it’ll always be shite is plain wrong. In 2022 we’d got it above the levels of the Mancini era. In general since coming back from lockdowns we had been better than we had been pre-lockdowns. We’ve just been a bit shit in November, December and January recently.
Allefuckingluia.
Top post Blue.

I thought it was superb last night especially in Block111. Friday night football start of the weekend a few sherberts in town and a lively singing section. Don't know what people are whinging about
Was in 109 last night although there was quite a few tourists was still an alright atmosphere round there thought all the singing section was decent 109-118 from where i was but as soon as the standing stops so does the atmosphere in the rest of east stand and colin bell family stand. Having 8000 arsenal fans in our loudest stand didn't really help us but have seen worse atmospheres from us could definitely be better but not terrible. Need some big home atmospheres from now until the end of the season to push the lads as far as we can no doubt that our away fans will be class and looking forward to some good away ends so lets make the etihad a fortress and have a massive second half of the season.

I loved 110, where I used to stand, and 111. 109 joined in standing eventually.The the club tried to quash that with the Showsec bullies, but they were routed by the fans when the knocked over the old bloke, remember?

Bar the support in those 3 blocks, which was where the unofficial singing section was before 115 was made the official singing section, the banter with the away fans was immense. The team used to batter the opposition, and we’d make the most of it and take the piss out of the away fans continually. Great days.

There was a group of lads, about 6 of them in 110, they used to start all the chants off and 110 would follow them, then 111 and 109 would join in.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.