Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

Last night proved that if you use a drum properly and sparingly, it can improve the atmosphere and be an asset.

I watched Frankfurt v Spurs. The Capo on the (stadium) 'tannoy' was a nightmare. He started every chant.

In England there are good crowds and poor crowds. In Europe there are good Ultras and bad Ultras. Not all Ultras are repetitive and constantly bang a drum.
Yep. For all the plaudits that Dortmund fans receive (personally I think their support is overrated as fuck), I thought the atmosphere from them the other week, while loud throughout, was as repetitive, banal, and irritating as I've heard from a visiting European fanbase at our stadium.

Copenhagen fans last night had a lot more variety to their chants and didn't smash the fuck out of their drum incessantly.

As for our own atmosphere, well it's typical of CL group stage games. It's a largely different fanbase compared to PL games and there were nowhere near as many regulars up at the back of 115 last night as there are at PL games. I'm not going to beat myself up about it though because when it comes to European games, unless there's a lot riding on it English clubs generally get outsung at home games by the visiting contingent.

Last night proved that if you use a drum properly and sparingly, it can improve the atmosphere and be an asset.

I watched Frankfurt v Spurs. The Capo on the (stadium) 'tannoy' was a nightmare. He started every chant.

In England there are good crowds and poor crowds. In Europe there are good Ultras and bad Ultras. Not all Ultras are repetitive and constantly bang a drum.
Are you fucking kidding?
The twat with the drum last night should've had it shoved up his jacksie. I wasn't even there but on the telly it sounded fucking awful.
If you're planning on bringing a drum then 2 things;

1, don't fucking bother. And 2, if you still insist on 'drumming' for 90 minutes then get some bastard rhythm.
A 90 minute version of bonkers Bjorks new single does not an atmosphere make.

Are you fucking kidding?
The twat with the drum last night should've had it shoved up his jacksie. I wasn't even there but on the telly it sounded fucking awful.

1, don't fucking bother. And 2, if you still insist on 'drumming' for 90 minutes then get some bastard rhythm.

It didn't sound as irritating in the stadium being next to their fans. It was quite rhythmic for the most part. Dortmund the other week was far worse but it sounded like they had half a dozen drums all going off at once!

Christ we have some right party animals on today !

True, it is a low key game even though it is the wonderful UCL. It was a different set of fans in 115, thought kippax was very good at having a go with songs. Glad Copp fans made a noise or it would have been very quiet, but all said it did stop our very low key singing from travelling and getting going but this is what ultras aim to do, drown out the home fans and they did.

Light show by the club at the beginning, fair play to them, looked good and brightened the night up.

Poznan, so for all you lot that have decided when and where it is appropriate to do this, it is better than stood there with hands in pockets laughing at the Coppen keeper wearing a mask. I was one of the miserable twats that tried to get a poznan going on the back of our fans singing WTFIT to Coppen fans, thought it was quite fitting, 3 nil up and lets get some activity in this dull atmosphere. I dont wish to do it every game, but come on lets break out in a sweat now and again to create an atmosphere.

Torches on phones ? So at this point there was no noise and fans where leaving, fair enough any fans wanting to shine torches. Better to make effort than sit around making no effort. Wouldnt be a bad idea to start a trend of shining torches when early leavers start, unless Ronaldo is about and knocks it out of your hand like a spoiled bratt.

Are you fucking kidding?

Im sure i could hear the guy drumming to the beat of "if you're watching on the telly"

Yep. For all the plaudits that Dortmund fans receive (personally I think their support is overrated as fuck), I thought the atmosphere from them the other week, while loud throughout, was as repetitive, banal, and irritating as I've heard from a visiting European fanbase at our stadium.

Copenhagen fans last night had a lot more variety to their chants and didn't smash the fuck out of their drum incessantly.

As for our own atmosphere, well it's typical of CL group stage games. It's a largely different fanbase compared to PL games and there were nowhere near as many regulars up at the back of 115 last night as there are at PL games. I'm not going to beat myself up about it though because when it comes to European games, unless there's a lot riding on it English clubs generally get outsung at home games by the visiting contingent.
I was lucky enough to get a ticket (or rather my neighbour won 2, and he reciprocated my previous winning tickets and taking him). This time we were in an East Stand corproate box with views into the away end.

The box was all for winners of Socios competitions, or people who had bought the tickets via Socios accumulated coins.
My neighbour is a Leeds supporter, but has a City mad daughter.
The box was for 10 - shout out to our great host Adele, who's been doing the same sort of job for 13 years - Rugby fans were her worst people to cater for, but she says concert goers and Liverpool fans can also be nightmares.

I was the only City supporter :-(
There was a father+son from Birmingham (and Birmingham suppporters), great laugh, effusive in their praise of the stadium and facilities, let alone the football. They don't like exVilla Jack though - picture on front of programme didn't go down well!
There was a bloke and his brother-in-law. The bloke was from Blackpool, but was a United supporter...I think he was a bit silent when the Birmingham lads talked about the great stadium (they'd also been to Old Trafford) and the comparisons between. hehe. His Brother-in-law was Danish, and was a Copenhagen fan, got on fine with him!
Then there were 2 mates, one Blackburn and the other Porto. Blackburn guy was just too young to be around for their better days.
And finally another couple of people from Birmingham, another father+son, Birmingham supporter and... damn forgotten... maybe West Brom.

The lightshow before kick-off and the stuff on the video screens+sound was great, all the box thoroughly enjoyed that.

The away fans, were led by a bearded cheer leader, who orchestrated the chants/clapping and barely watched any of the game, as he faced back into the crowd from where he stood on the parapet/rail sests. The drummer (who could knock out a decent riff that wasn't incessant monotonous thumping thank god) was a young lad, who at least faced the pitch. They didn't break a chant even when we scored. Seemed like they were having a good time in the rail seats - bouncing in time in lines looked pretty good from above.

Clearly the (City) football was mesmerizingly good, half time was full of 'wow, 'incredible' statements which was nice. At the end, the Birmingham supporters even acknowledged that Jack had been brilliant.

I think I tried to come across as a semi-FOC, which they acknowledged that the 90's & 00's must have been crap and fair F's to all our supporters for keeping going. But I did admit it's still a bit of dreamland watching the sublime footy we play, and I'm still in potential for 'typical city' camp, unless we get to 3-0. I put in the lowest score in the box sweepstake, my neighbour won with his 5-0 prediction - given to the aforementioned Adele for being a great host.

I'm not sure if anyone from the club either takes part in these forums, or reads them, but if we want to win the Champions League this season, we need to get the atmosphere for the OUR players in OUR favour. It is time now for the club to ban away teams from bringing a drum into the stadium. A drum from the opposition completely drowns out any chance of our fans to gain any kind of home support advantage. Pep and the team are doing a cracking job of demolishing teams currently. However, when the big boys come to town, we will need to get right behind the team and up the home support noise levels, and also make it difficult for the away teams to intimidate our fans and players. Please can somebody from the club make the suggestion to the powers that be, to ban the drums.

I'm not sure if anyone from the club either takes part in these forums, or reads them, but if we want to win the Champions League this season, we need to get the atmosphere for the OUR players in OUR favour. It is time now for the club to ban away teams from bringing a drum into the stadium. A drum from the opposition completely drowns out any chance of our fans to gain any kind of home support advantage. Pep and the team are doing a cracking job of demolishing teams currently. However, when the big boys come to town, we will need to get right behind the team and up the home support noise levels, and also make it difficult for the away teams to intimidate our fans and players. Please can somebody from the club make the suggestion to the powers that be, to ban the drums.
You can't do that without looking terrible. We'd be mocked. And we don't get flat atmospheres like that in the important games whether the opposition have a drum or not. You're never going to get a bearpit in a dull non-critical one-sided group game like that.

I had to miss the game last night because my son is ill. Managed to shift my ticket on here and watched the game on tele.

I think the attendance was brilliant. You could sense the Haaland hysteria through the TV screen. Yes, the atmosphere was a little flat - but what do you expect when it's essentially over after 7 minutes?

One of our fan's better moments were in the first half when their support was trying to boo City (while we held possession). The home support sang over the top to drown them out and they gave up. Well done to everyone who went.

Another was seeing a blue flag waving at the front of SSL1 throughout the game + a load of ticker tape being thrown around the south stand after the first two goals (think it ran out by the third).

The atmosphere on Saturday will be 10x better.

I agree that last night was a lesson in what is possible. Piss taking in the opponents language might be a stretch though

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.