Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

Not as silly an idea as it sounds, she was a focal point and maybe we need to get another focal point going.

It's difficult though when you have people coming to the stadium to view the culture of the people who usually go, talking photos enjoying the experience before they go to the swamp next week to experience that one.

IMHO transient tourists will kill us in the end.
I think the tourists are OK but we need to maintain the essence of City. One way of doing that is get more Blues singed up into the Official Supporters Club IMHO.

We will carry on the glory of the City. Leaving City in first place.

Attachments

• 48CF443E-A91B-411C-8FF2-2066FAB459CA.jpeg
    48CF443E-A91B-411C-8FF2-2066FAB459CA.jpeg
    610.1 KB · Views: 24
I think a big problem is the lack of decent pubs around the ground.

Away games around 2k fans are together in pockets for hours travelling, before and during the game on trains pubs and concourse. So songs bounce round all day then get sung in the Stadium.

Home games all those pockets of people going to away games are spread out.

In town most of the bars and pubs on our side are great for a drink but not at all for singing, Abel Heywood and Millstone are the only places that get going ever.

Around the ground Mary D’s is a toilet and The Townleys one of the most despressing places i’ve ever been.

Somebody recently posted City fans used to meet up in Shambles Square when City were sh*t and then made our way to the ground. It would be good to start that again. Or meet up in Ancoats Square which is closer to the ground.

Controversial BUT

Fuck "safe standing" and bring back free standing.......terraces but safer and standing where you want
I agree, but it will never happen anytime soon, you saw how long it took just to put rails in front of the seats. Germany have got it bang on.

I think the tourists are OK but we need to maintain the essence of City. One way of doing that is get more Blues singed up into the Official Supporters Club IMHO.

We will carry on the glory of the City. Leaving City in first place.
The official supporters club isn't and never has or everwill be the vehicle to maintain the essence of City, it is run by people soaked in self interest.

I hear you mate but I suspect you are flogging a dead Horse with this, it's not going to get better it's going to get worse.

People in general have changed, the legacy fans we used to have have been replaced (Well started to be replaced) by new fans who probably don't feel the tribal nature of football.

There will IMHO be a knot of fans that will shrink season on season who make a noise, but those fans will be gradually replaced by Americanised fans and half and half fans.
But lets not forget the club are far from blameless in this. The constant strategy of increasing the corporate seats by booting legacy fans out of their seats is a big factor in this. Also the fact that the club sell tranches of tickets to the ticket outlets before they offer them to proper City fans doesn't help either, as does not the year on year price increase of tickets. The 'Disneyfication' of the Etihad hasn't happened by chance. It's a long term plan by the club that has been formulated, developed and implemented over many years. The club want customers (because thats what we are now) to have a 'Matchday Experience' The fall out from that is a crap atmosphere. You reap what you sow...

To a large extent the atmosphere is always going to depend on where you sit. Certain parts of the ground are just more subdued than others. And tbh in my experience some of the more subdued parts of the ground are full of long term ST holders of mature years who quietly enjoy the match in their own way and probably feel like they have nothing to prove. Then you can go in another part of the ground that's full of long-term ST holders of mature years who let rip.

If City has an atmosphere problem I don't think it is an excess of tourists or plastics - if you look around at your average game the crowd is overwhelmingly either local or long term fans who travel. It's just that some people just will not shout or sing and they were just as quiet at Maine Road but we had other things to worry about then so we weren't thinking about it.

I don't know if folk set in their ways can suddenly be coaxed into singing after years of keeping quiet, but getting more songbooks to the kiosks would help and I feel parents like myself raising the next gen of 'legacy' fans must do their bit by having a shout and a sing so the kids feel comfortable vocally getting behind the team.

Last edited:
Got to be honest.

Until Liverpool scored Anfield was no different to the Etihad. There was singing and it was quiet.

When Liverpool scored it was loud. All the stands and different tiers joined in with the singingand carried on singing together.

The biggest advantage Liverpool have over City is the KOP. Once that gets going other stands join in, whereas at City, other stands don’t join in when the South Stand is singing. Stadium layout, etc.

The depth of stands, the tiered banks of seats, and the closeness of the stands all around the pitch also helps create the atmosphere at Anfield.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.