Etihad atmosphere

I've said it before, the style of play , and the way teams set up against us, is not the type to get people going. It is like watching chess at times. The boro goal was like a blast from the past, a ball whipped in to a big lad to bullet a header in, i'd love to see us score a few like that
A bit like how we scored, a whipped in cross and the striker pokes it home?

Two quick points.

1. Pep played the same style at Bayern the past 3 seasons, that didn't affect their atmosphere.
2. Our football is not boring, if you want to know what boring looks like then it's played not too far down the road.

Two quick points.

1. Pep played the same style at Bayern the past 3 seasons, that didn't affect their atmosphere.
2. Our football is not boring, if you want to know what boring looks like then it's played not too far down the road.
1. It's not Pep's style, it's the way teams come to our ground and don't take part in the game. Plus In Germany they sing all game no matter what's going on on the pitch. Listen to the atmospheres over there and they do not represent excitement or anger at what's going on in the actual game, it's just monotonous chanting that doesn't represent any peaks or flows or anything to do with the game.
2. It's not our football that's boring, it''s the teams that come to our ground and don't take part in the game that makes the games boring. Look at Southampton the other week, they spent all game time wasting, it was nothing but a dull 90 minutes. Watching one team pass the ball around the pitch for 90minutes isn't exactly exhilarating stuff is it? That's not our fault or Guardiola's style, it's just because we're so good teams won't make it an open game.

These teams aren't doing anything wrong (well the time wasting is), they should be coming to the Etihad and sitting everyone behind the ball because it's the only way they are ever going to get a result against us. Anyone not doing that is crazy because we'll take them apart if they don't. But it is the absolute worst thing to watch. What gets fans on the edge of their seats more than anything is a quick counter attack but we rarely if ever get chance to do that in games like we're seeing at home this season as teams don't commit enough players forward for us to ever really have a counter attack situation. It's just loads of one paced passing in one half of the pitch. It makes everything in the stands flat because we don't just sing no matter what like fans in other countries.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. It's not Pep's style, it's the way teams come to our ground and don't take part in the game. Plus In Germany they sing all game no matter what's going on on the pitch. Listen to the atmospheres over there and they do not represent excitement or anger at what's going on in the actual game, it's just monotonous chanting that doesn't represent any peaks or flows or anything to do with the game.
2. It's not our football that's boring, it''s the teams that come to our ground and don't take part in the game that makes the games boring. Look at Southampton the other week, they spent all game time wasting, it was nothing but a dull 90 minutes. Watching one team pass the ball around the pitch for 90minutes isn't exactly exhilarating stuff is it?

1. Isn't that still classed as atmospheric? Isn't that what this thread is all about?
2. Maybe not for some, but I'm sure in a happier place watching my team control a game for 90 minutes than allowing the opposition to come at us back and forth.
Opposition flooding their own box and wasting time at every opportunity is one of the great annoyances in football, that's not going to change any time soon though.
Hopefully our atmosphere will.

I disagree. I think we've played some scintillating stuff this season but individual errors and poor finishing have been our undoing so far. Against Everton the football was incredible at times and I find it puzzling how a crowd can't get excited at watching it. Sure we play keep ball as well but I don't liken it to a game of chess. It's much less boring than people are making out. 18 chances created in the first half yesterday - that's anything but boring.

Either way, as fans we need to simply find our voices more often regardless of how we're approaching games on the pitch. It was a struggle trying to get things going yesterday. Maybe it was a hangover from the Barca match. But speaking of Barca, while it was understandably bouncing in the 2nd half I felt we did well to keep it going when we were 1 down and they were the ones keeping the ball. All too often, a fanbase will fall totally silent in that situation but that wasn't the case on Tuesday. And despite it being not all that yesterday, there was still a 15 minute rendition of "Oh what a night" in the 2nd half.

as much as its a good song, most people just aren't going to join in with it or songs like billion in the bank. we seemed to have stopped singing songs like hey jude or city til i die. songs that are simple and everyone usually joins in with.

You just need lots of teenagers, Who have had a few pints before the game. They are priced out of modern football.

It would probably be impossible to implement one but a reward scheme(discounts and freebies) based on the amount of singing and noise you make might encourage people to be more vocal(the impossible part is how would you measure/rate everyone's contribution fairly? Other than video uploads via social media or something like that?), might be a bit costly at first but once you create a culture for it then it will probably stick.

Well the atmosphere today was dog shit!
What's up with people? Today was a big game against title rivals but only small pockets of fans singing sporadically.
Most of the time complete silence bar folks chatting to each other about what happened in the pub Friday night.
In SS 315 around 30 minutes in to the first half 4 stewards with more looking on and with 2 cops waiting, eject 2 blokes in their late 50's/early 60's because they sang "hello, hello, Chelsea rent boys" a couple of times in response to Chelsea's "your support is fucking shit!"
Removing these 2 men took about 5 minutes with 4 stewards stood in front of people in the middle of the row causing everyone else to stand just to see the game! These fellas were previously getting behind the team (as was I stood behind them, a couple of seats to the right).
They weren't abusive or under the influence, they were just singing "we're not really here", Bluemoon etc. and generally supporting the team and were no problem at all!
The whole thing was heavy handed, ill conceived and totally unnecessary!
No wonder were not creating any atmosphere if this is what's going to happen!
After 42 years of standing on the Kippax, then seats in the north stand at Maine Road, SS level 2 and now SS level 3 plus many years of following the team the length and breath of the country and overseas I've never known such poor atmosphere or treatment of supporters!
Not sure if this will be my final season as a season ticket holder? Will be giving it serious consideration in the next few months!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.