Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

It may not be possible, or too costly, with the original design of the stadium (I'm no architect), and/or might also require the closing of the north stand for 12-18 months whilst its built, and therefore reduced attendances/revenue, and some unhappy fans who would have to give up their season tickets for that period.

I’m no architect but the stadium stood for the commonwealth games without a North Stand - so I assume it could again.

I’ve had a look at some of the plans and it can be done, but it would need a completely new lower section to be constructed to keep it all at the right gradient to avoid interference with the original cable net.

@DiscoSteve could you do a gradient drawing? I remember you did one for the expanded 2nd tier.

It was impossible for the South Stand third tier to be any smaller or taller than it currently is, as the original cable next comes into the stadium through the gap between the terracing and roof.

The old net comes in here:
8-A49-E92-E-175-B-4-AD5-BA0-D-14-E602-DF2-D9-D.jpg

And through into the stand here:
(Look closely and you can see all the cables below the new roof)
CF470303-3-BC8-4-CA7-B9-B7-C69-A93-AFB2-EA.jpg

That originally cable net can’t currently be removed because the net is part of a full circle which holds up the roof to the other parts of the stadium.

Any one tier end would need to be built at an angle so that the original cable net can come into the stadium in the same way.

Last edited:
I’m no architect but the stadium stood for the commonwealth games without a North Stand - so I assume it could again.
Yes but the cable holding the roof up was already there, building a single tier north stand may possibly interfere with it, I know people say the whole roof is in a poor state, and will need replacing, so maybe the optimum time is when that happens.

I'm sure they will want to add to the lower tier, rather than completely rebuild, but H&S may not allow that, without significant reductions ?

I'm surprised that none of the usual suspects have applied (or have they?) to open outlets on the site. MacD's (I know they're only across the road), KFC, Costa, Starbucks, Subway etc etc. I suppose the club don't want their own catering operation to suffer.

Yes, I can imagine whingeing, moaning, too many queues, can't get in, can't get out, can't get a coffee. Easy to imagine....-)
If they did a proper job of it (unlike the other end), there’s no reason why it couldn’t be the best stand around with no issues

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.