Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

I think we missed a trick not going for broke with the development during Covid with no crowd to cater for for 2 seasons. I understand that availability of construction workers and necessary safety protocols would interfere but RM have managed to do it, haven't they. Was it possible?

Nevertheless i'm delighted were now going ahead. I hope we don't miss the chance to make the Campus truly a great place to visit to eat, watch top line gigs, make merry and watch City.

I think we missed a trick not going for broke with the development during Covid with no crowd to cater for for 2 seasons. I understand that availability of construction workers and necessary safety protocols would interfere but RM have managed to do it, haven't they. Was it possible?

Nevertheless i'm delighted were now going ahead. I hope we don't miss the chance to make the Campus truly a great place to visit to eat, watch top line gigs, make merry and watch City.

Real were already due to develop. These things take months, if not years to plan, so you can’t suddenly say ‘hey let’s quickly build a new stand while the fans are away’.

Real were already due to develop. These things take months, if not years to plan, so you can’t suddenly say ‘hey let’s quickly build a new stand while the fans are away’.
At the time no one knew how long Covid would last anyway and as to what detriment it would have on football attendances.
As you say it could never have happened during lockdown.

The original proposal for the expansions included even further extra seats on the edges of the side third tiers. We ended up with a small block on the south end of ES and CB level 3 but here you can see that these small additions curved around a bit more when first shown off.

BC3EE1CE-7FD8-4512-B3E2-408C4792E523.jpeg

The hydro area is on the edge of the west end, which is like Chorlton or West Didsbury with a university - quite different from Beswick.
The Hydro also has the Science museum and the BBC officies just over the river, plus the SECC exhibition hall and the smaller Armidillo concert hall next door. The motorway and railway into the city are also next to it. So lots of reasons for hotel stays not relating to the Hydro events / concerts. Though all that said I can see why it's being used as a comparison to the CO-OP arena.

The Hydro also has the Science museum and the BBC officies just over the river, plus the SECC exhibition hall and the smaller Armidillo concert hall next door. The motorway and railway into the city are also next to it. So lots of reasons for hotel stays not relating to the Hydro events / concerts. Though all that said I can see why it's being used as a comparison to the CO-OP arena.
That campus is approximately the same size as ours. It absolutely benefits from a motorway on its doorstep but I am sure there are lessons to be learned from it. Even basic stuff like how to manage a multi multi story car park without everyone having to wait hours to get out. Clue. It takes trained manpower. In comparison the management of our blue and green car parks is woeful.

As are the 6 or 7 located within 400 yards of the Glasgow Hydro. I am sure the club will be thinking this through but demand will certainly be there and the arena is going to be bigger than the hydro. Maybe they expect folk to stay in the town centre. All I can say to that is that’s not what I have seen in Glasgow. I wonder if the club have identified other parcels of land that could accommodate multi hotels and their car parks. Do we know if a multi story is being planned for the arena/match parking? There is much talk of cycling and walking. That’s surely not realistic for arena traffic never mind our more elderly match going fans. All exciting but lots to think about and if they get the access exit stuff wrong it has the potential to degrade what they are trying to achieve which is a brilliant world class sports and entertainment leisure destination.
@Saddleworth2 you are right to point out the Hydro in Glasgow as only 5 mins up the road from that is Ibrox Park, home of Rangers FC.

If you look at the Hydro is similar to what is happening with COOP Live its on the outskirts of Glasgow City Centre, so your point about five or six hotels is right they cater for all different visitors with Radisson Red having a sky bar and the Village has a gym/pool etc.

So having different offerings around the Etihad Campus would help, Village hotel would be a good shout as it offers a bar/restaurant and gym and pool, and Radisson Red with a sky bar also would be a good shout.

Regarding your point about multi-storey, I would have 3 or 4 of them including a bus one like they have at Wembley this gives more room for the area to be redeveloped

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.