Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

How far from the city centre is the Hydro, and what is /was the surrounding area like ?
1671113594556.png

"The venue has been estimated to inject £336 million into the Scottish economy p/a and has been credited with boosting trade in the surrounding Finnieston area with almost 50 new bars and restaurants having opened since 2013. The locals have named this "the Hydro Effect"

34 mins walking
16 mins driving
12 mins in the underground

View attachment 63594

"The venue has been estimated to inject £336 million into the Scottish economy p/a and has been credited with boosting trade in the surrounding Finnieston area with almost 50 new bars and restaurants having opened since 2013. The locals have named this "the Hydro Effect"

34 mins walking
16 mins driving
34 mins from the centre. About the same as the Etihad. Like the Etihad you wouldn’t choose to walk it (I have done both). Public transport is great from the centre but no use if you are an outlier. When I go to the Hydro for a gig we drive through early park in a safe car park by the hotel. Have a drink and something to eat. Maybe a few glasses of champers in the hotel room while we change, walk five minutes to the venue. More drinks and eats if we choose. Then back afterwards for a night cap. Next morning two mins on the road and you are on the motorway out of town. Contrast that experience with driving to the Etihad and getting to one of the Premier inns close to the M60. I don’t really have to describe that ballache in detail. I’m sure you get the picture.

The Hydro is the SECC which is more like the NEC than a basket ball arena, lots of different rooms and spaces.
Have to disagree. It’s avery simple bowl with a large Concourse and bars/eats wrapped round it.

Hydro
ground-updated-3d017e5868.png

Have to disagree. It’s avery simple bowl with a large Concourse and bars/eats wrapped round it.

Hydro
ground-updated-3d017e5868.png
Yeah I really like the Hydro. Very easy to navigate and piece of piss to get back into Glasgow centre. Been to a few shows over the years. The iron bru fair is great. :-)

The Hydro is the SECC which is more like the NEC than a basket ball arena, lots of different rooms and spaces.
The Hydro is next door to the SECC and the Armadillo is around the corner.

That’s three individual venues that collectively can host any type of event and can share the hotel facilities etc - it works really well.

What the Hydro did, and that the Co-op is imitating, is not trying to be a US-style hockey arena but be a large concert venue, designed to hold concerts and not be a multi-use space.

Manchester will be lucky as boxing, basketball etc can still continue at the Nynex. The one thing that the Hydro struggles with is sports events (other than darts).

Not been in a box at the Etihad but have seen a few on videos etc, what’s to stop us converting some to include bedrooms? It would certainly bridge the gap until there are a few hotels built, up & running. The real old Trafford has had great success with rooms overlooking the pitch, even in the off season & non match days

Yeah I really like the Hydro. Very easy to navigate and piece of piss to get back into Glasgow centre. Been to a few shows over the years. The iron bru fair is great. :-)
Also the Hydro isn’t badly priced for food and drink either.. Not saying it’s cheap but compared to other arenas, Newcastle Utilita for one it’s reasonable.Sound wise it’s far better than when the SECC. was used for gigs , that was terrible sound.

View attachment 63594

34 mins walking
16 mins driving
Cheers.....transformational, without a football stadium.

Impressive!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.