Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

I understand what you are saying, but the access tunnel cannot be blocked at any time for the expansion, health and safety will never allow for the tunnel to be closed

This was possibly covered a few posts ago. I was working on the assumption that the build would be the same as the South Stand...some preparatory work commencing before the end of the season and then two close seasons and one full season to complete. In this case 10 concerts isnt a possibility. However it seems like it will be a two year build.

If the South Stand roof doesn't use the cablenet then can you explain how the roof is supported? Genuine question

The cable is pre-tensioned the primary component of the structure that's why it was there during the games even without the north stand?

To quote from the CoMS Design study

A central feature of The City of Manchester Stadium is its distinctive and dynamic form, key to which is the structural solution for supporting the roof. The roof structure essentially comprises two separate structural systems, the first providing primary structural support to the whole roof (the ‘cable-net’), and the secondary being a more conventional arrangement of rafters propped from the rear of the concrete bowl and hung towards their leading edges from the cable-net. The mast and cable-net roof primary structure uses a ‘grounded tension ring’ to create a prestress field against uplift wind loads. 12 cigar-shaped tubular steel masts up to 65m high support a total of 76 spiral strand forestay cables in fanshaped groups of five or seven cables per mast. Each forestay supports an individual rafter. Just above the roof surface, all the forestay ends are connected by a system of four spiral strand cables that form the ‘grounded tension ring’ (also referred to as the ‘catenary’). Prestress to the catenary and cable-net is provided by four corner-ties anchored to the ground. The top of each column is tied back to the ground by pairs of back-stays comprising groups of Macalloy high tensile steel rods. This mast and cable-net system not only provides a highly efficient structure but also is central to the drama of the building’s architecture.

Yes. The new roof is supported independently by the two new giant triangular roof supports.

The old roof was supported as per the article piece you posted.

You can see the new supports in this picture below.

ethiad-g.jpg

This was possibly covered a few posts ago. I was working on the assumption that the build would be the same as the South Stand...some preparatory work commencing before the end of the season and then two close seasons and one full season to complete. In this case 10 concerts isnt a possibility. However it seems like it will be a two year build.

Apologies, just caught up with all the comments

Yes. The new roof is supported independently by the two new giant triangular roof supports.

The old roof was supported as per the article piece you posted.

You can see the new supports in this picture below.

ethiad-g.jpg

Yes, but that is part of the cable net system not specifically the ring but still part of it

Here's an article that you might like to read https://www.steelconstruction.org/design-awards/2016/award/south-stand-expansion-etihad-stadium/

Key quotes
The design was technically complex as the existing roof involved a cable net structure with a tension ring, from which steel roof rafters hung. The structural integrity of the existing tension ring relies on it running around the whole circumference of the roof; therefore any modification to the roof could not affect this, even in areas where roof rafters were removed. Protection of the existing cable was vital as there was no repair procedure in place, and damage would result in replacement and potentially the closure of the stadium for two years

The client also received a masterplan design which enables the stadium capacity to be expanded further to the absolute limit of the existing cable net, and then only at that point does the roof need to be completely replaced.

Yes, but that is part of the cable net system not specifically the ring but still part of it

Here's an article that you might like to read https://www.steelconstruction.org/design-awards/2016/award/south-stand-expansion-etihad-stadium/

Key quotes
The design was technically complex as the existing roof involved a cable net structure with a tension ring, from which steel roof rafters hung. The structural integrity of the existing tension ring relies on it running around the whole circumference of the roof; therefore any modification to the roof could not affect this, even in areas where roof rafters were removed. Protection of the existing cable was vital as there was no repair procedure in place, and damage would result in replacement and potentially the closure of the stadium for two years

The client also received a masterplan design which enables the stadium capacity to be expanded further to the absolute limit of the existing cable net, and then only at that point does the roof need to be completely replaced.

That is saying that the old cable net needed to be kept in place (and not damaged) due to it still supporting the other parts of the roof. It's still part of that support ring.

The new South Stand is built around the restrictions of the net, although it's new roof now has it's own independent support system.

Key quotes

As I understand it, while there is one part of the old roof using the cable net in place the whole cable net has to remain. But the new roofs don't actually use the cable net and when all the roofs have been replaced the cable net can also be removed. That's how I have understood posts from far better qualified posters than myself though, so I might have the wrong end of the stick.

That is saying that the old cable net needed to be kept in place (and not damaged) due to it still supporting the other parts of the roof. It's still part of that support ring.

The new South Stand is built around the restrictions of the net, although it's new roof now has it's own independent support system.
Yes but, it’s still part of a complete system that you suggested could be broken when clearly this is not possible without replacing the east and west roofs

As I understand it, while there is one part of the old roof using the cable net in place the whole cable net has to remain. But the new roofs don't actually use the cable net and when all the roofs have been replaced the cable net can also be removed. That's how I have understood posts from far better qualified posters than myself though, so I might have the wrong end of the stick.
Correct but it would be a major task to replace the east and west roofs

Yes but, it’s still part of a complete system that you suggested could be broken when clearly this is not possible without replacing the east and west roofs

We’ve been talking about the South Stand roof and how that is supported.

I only speculated about the cable ring being broken once the old North Stand is removed on the basis the sides may only need to be supported by the spiral masts. It’s unlikely but I discussed the possibility due to the muted 63k capacity goal.

Just to confirm, the South Stand roof is supported by the new giant triangular supports and does not use the old cable net in any way. The old cable net is kept in place to keep the cable ring in place.

The South Stand is specifically designed so that it doesn’t touch the old cable net at any point. It comes in through the gap between stand and roof, as well as through the corners.

This restriction meant the stand couldn’t be any smaller or taller than it currently is as the cable net wouldn’t have been able to feed through the back of the stand.

We’ve been talking about the South Stand roof and how that is supported.

I only speculated about the cable ring being broken once the old North Stand is removed on the basis the sides may only need to be supported by the spiral masts. It’s unlikely but I discussed the possibility due to the muted 63k capacity goal.

Just to confirm, the South Stand roof is supported by the new giant triangular supports and does not use the old cable net in any way. The old cable net is kept in place to keep the cable ring in place.

The South Stand is specifically designed so that it doesn’t touch the old cable net at any point. It comes in through the gap between stand and roof, as well as through the corners.

This restriction meant the stand couldn’t be any smaller or taller than it currently is as the cable net wouldn’t have been able to feed through the back of the stand.

You suggested that the cablenet could be removed when the north stand is developed, removing the restrictions caused by the cable ring being in place! With the east and west stands being supported by the current structure, spiral masts, without the cable ring, even though the cable ring is primary structure. I asked how the south stand roof is supported without the cable net you explained the tubular structures bolted to the steel verticals, fair enough, but the cablenet system, if not the pre-tensioned ring, is still in use (the cable ring passes through the structure)
So ultimate it’s highly unlikely that the cable ring, cablenet, can be removed unless new roof structures are installed for the east and west stands

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.