Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Also there is less chargeable car parking now than there was 5 years ago. Two shut off viaduct street about then and the closest which has been sold to Equans held at least 3-400. In total the 3 must of held close on 600 cars. Other two now have storage boxes on them. That will need reversing double quick.

Sorry I can't access this document. The link is empty. From what I recall from the application there is not much of a strategy for transport in place. Took me 2.5 hours to get to the stadium from near Preston yesterday (I had to use car yesterday instead of the train). The M6 and M61 were both traffic-choked. I have lived in London three times in my life and believe the road situation around Greater Manchester is now as bad as London has ever been. There has been no serious road bulding on the North Side of Manchester for 60 years. The transport system (bus and local trains) was integrated and vastly superior when I was growing up in the 60s and 70s. We have been overtaken by the rest of the world, especially Europe.
The planning portal times out (to stop spamming I guess) so putting direct links up never works after a very short time.

Someone has put a link to the whole planning application up on archive.ph however (it may not be the most up to date obviously). Just click on documents and the transport response is at the top.

Edit: or put 136763/FO/2023 into the planning portal simple search https://pa.manchester.gov.uk/online-applications/search.do?action=simple&searchType=Application

Some pertinent bits so far. 30% of supporters are travelling by car and will be impacted by this resident parking scheme!
IMG_0912.jpeg
The majority of supporters arrive by car and that figure has actually increased slightly in the period 2015 to 2019, and the numbers appear to have returned to those 2019 levels after covid.

The next slide suggests the next steps are to refine the transport surveys AFTER the completion of the North Stand to allow for a transport strategy to be developed.

IMG_0914.jpeg
I did note comments about trialling shuttle buses and also improving/promoting walking routes to Monsall and Central Park metro stops.

They’re looking to increase tram usage by 21% and bus usage by 9%. However I didn’t note any comments about the overcrowding that is happening every game so good luck finding room for those passengers.

They need to build more car parks. But they won’t. We need better tram frequency but they cant. Will need more bus and coaches, here’s hoping.
They won’t be building more car parks, that is certain.

On Saturday we tried the tram again, it was pretty shite again for those coming from the north. We went to St Peter’s Square to swap trams to make it easier but the overcrowding is ridiculous. For the return journey we decided to walk up to Central Park and catch a tram back into Victoria then onto the Bury line. When we got to Victoria, people were asking the final score (as if we were the first fans back). It still took me over 2 hrs to do the 9mile journey home but it was a lot more comfortable. The walk to CP is about 1.5 miles I reckon. Not much shorter than to the city centre but it feels much easier for some reason.

Takes me over 90 minutes to get home now the 7 miles on the bus that used to take me around 45 mins when I parked on Briscoe Lane, the night match last week I got in at 2340, nearly an hour more than when I used the car, if the buses were more frequent that wouldn’t happen but after 10 they seeem to be every 30 mins rather than every 10 :(
Just seen that they’ve scheduled a Take That concert on a possible home leg night in champions league semi final, now that will be fun around the stadium.

I don't have a car but just accept that it takes me longer to get to and from the Ethiad. The positives are I don't have to worry about parking, having a drink, concerns my car is going to be broken into, etc. How many of the 30% could use public transport but choose not to because they have always driven to the game. I walk half an hour to the tram and then tram to the Ethiad. Going back I walk to Piccadilly and get a train. The train station is 15 mins walk to my house.

Some pertinent bits so far. 30% of supporters are travelling by car and will be impacted by this resident parking scheme!
View attachment 94329
The majority of supporters arrive by car and that figure has actually increased slightly in the period 2015 to 2019, and the numbers appear to have returned to those 2019 levels after covid.

The next slide suggests the next steps are to refine the transport surveys AFTER the completion of the North Stand to allow for a transport strategy to be developed.

View attachment 94331
I did note comments about trialling shuttle buses and also improving/promoting walking routes to Monsall and Central Park metro stops.

They’re looking to increase tram usage by 21% and bus usage by 9%. However I didn’t note any comments about the overcrowding that is happening every game so good luck finding room for those passengers.
The 58% coming by car will be competing over far fewer places and all possibly impacted by displacement.

The last mile by public transport is ridiculous. I walk the last mile from a desolate street, there are no public transport options without driving more than an extra mile and then getting delayed about 40mins longer after the game.

Buses get stuck with the rest of the traffic after the game, they should be called shuffle buses, or inertia omnibuses maybe more fitting.

The planning portal times out (to stop spamming I guess) so putting direct links up never works after a very short time.

Someone has put a link to the whole planning application up on archive.ph however (it may not be the most up to date obviously). Just click on documents and the transport response is at the top.

Edit: or put 136763/FO/2023 into the planning portal simple search https://pa.manchester.gov.uk/online-applications/search.do?action=simple&searchType=Application
Thanks for posting this. It is a comprehensive transport survey but flawed in my view because virtually all the data used is four years old and pre-pandemic. The overall strategy is to reduce car use and increase public transport use but there are no proposals suggested to achieve this. It states that even the parking arrangements for the new arena have still not been agreed with just a few months to opening for example.
It claims that car usage has reduced since 2013 but if you look closer it is has started going up again in the last few years while train use has declined (hardly a surprise). The striking omission is there seems to be no considerations of the traffic problems outside the immediate vicinity of the stadium. All the bottlenecks are around the city-centre, Mancunian Way, M60 plus the usual chaos on the M6 and M56. These areas are worse than ever in recent months.
Apparently 10 per cent of people walk to the stadium from town and 60 per cent drive by car so a hell of a turn round is required. Bus usage is steady at around 10 per cent. The current parking situation is horrific and can only get worse as spaces are drastically reduced in the resident's zone and pressure increases with the new arena and extended capacity.
The word that springs to mind after reading this report is total complacency and a disregard for our match-going supporters. You would think that after the scenes in Istanbul that spectator safety would be a priority. At present there is apparently no significant public transport strategy in place unless anyone on here knows better.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.