Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

When you’re inside the bowl of our stadium, it’s lovely. The concourses have really come on over the years n’all.

But for what is now the world’s leading sporting club, the outside of the stadium and surrounding grounds of our stadium are bloody ugly.

There are a few shots later on in that video where he’s at the other end of the ground to the construction end, and it looks as done-in and scruffy as the end that’s just had a load of demolition done to it.

View attachment 95489
View attachment 95490

And what a waste of space that car park out the back of the East Stand is (as well as where the old Mercedes garage is over the other side).

Considering what we all have been speculating for what would be built around our stadium for the last 15 years since the takeover (that original thread was the reason I started reading bluemoon-mcfc), I imagined things would have moved a lot faster, on a grander scale and much more high class than they have with regards to the surrounding grounds.

Looking forward to 2025 when the arena and the North Stand have all been completed. It will feel like it’s all starting to get moving around the outside of the stadium then. I wonder what the next 15 years will hold for the area around the stadium after that?

The public realm is key. It's all very grey and very dull. Wrapping some banners around the spirals is about all they've done to try and brighten it up. The South Stand expansion had images of curtain glazing and screens which could light up and help build atmosphere for night games. I'm sure there will be plans to enhance the external image of the stadium. That might be Phase 3 when they look at tackling the side stands, which I'm sure they will. We might have to wait a while longer for improvements to the rest of the public realm as a result.

But some smart block paving, tree planting and just a little imagination would go a long way to help creating a really special stadium externally whilst they wait to do those works.

As a business though you just wouldn't put money into something that is planned to change in the future, and as I said I think the end goal will be something we want to see, but we'll have to wait for the side stands and pushing the capacity up to 80k for it to happen. Otherwise it's all temporary and will be damaged by construction.

I think if you look at SS level 1 and the new bar area at 115 then it shows what can be done with the right space. It’s buzzing in there on match days and easy to get a drink, plenty of space to stand around and for me, it’s been a revelation to the match day experience compared to what we had there previously.

If that’s the kind of thing they are going for in the the new NS but on a much bigger and better scale, then I think it will be fantastic and people will love it.
Totally agree with the vast improvement on match day with the new bar in 115, its fantastic, in all the years at the Etihad I hardly ever had a drink on the concourse now it's virtually every game :)

The city council, One Manchester, and Great Places are ramping up plans to regenerate the 50-year-old East Manchester housing estate, with a revised masterplan for 550 new homes due to be ready by the end of the year.

1696944569820.png

Fair to BBC Sport for using the Etihad stadium name, unlike the Daily Mail that called it the City of Manchester stadium.

View attachment 95605

Whats great about it?
People getting all tetchy about the name.
At the time of the tournament it won't be called The Etihad, same as Principality and Aviva.
We knew when we got the naming rights that there would be certain times when the Etihad name could not be used.
Its a bit like an alcohol drink company being unable to advertise during certain events, audiences.

Whats great about it?
People getting all tetchy about the name.
At the time of the tournament it won't be called The Etihad, same as Principality and Aviva.
We knew when we got the naming rights that there would be certain times when the Etihad name could not be used.
Its a bit like an alcohol drink company being unable to advertise during certain events, audiences.

I think it's great. That's all that matters to me. If that's OK with you?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.