Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

I'd be more bothered about the South stand than the family, that's supposed to be the noisy one. It seems that a lot of folk, who don't sit near the family stand or have sat there just once have a regular moan about it.

It's not the family stands job to get the stadium rocking, you would be better looking closer to home and asking why does your stand need a bunch of families to cheer for your atmosphere?

Stop throwing the blame at the family stand....!?!

This. People who, ironically stand, want a standing area to make noise. How will that work? And what nobody has considered. Who will sit near the away fans? I sit in the NS now and I don't want to be near them. Some people who go to the game go just to be near the away fans for their own reasons. They won't move. So will that area just become a second standing area? If safe standing was introduced and these people didn't relocate the club would insist that this are would be for sitting and they would then moan that the away fans can stand and they are told by the "twats from Showsec" to sit down. If safe standing was introduced why not install it where fans stand now and move the displaced seats to the new extended NS?

Can we get this discussion moved to the Atmosphere thread. I thought this one was for developments, proposed and actual, in and around the ground.

Can I summarise,
- The NS may or may not be a big level 2 or mirror the SS.
- There might be safe standing, but there might not.
- The FS may or may not move

But they are still talking about it and sending out surveys to see what support there is for what they might want to do.

No news about the wider Campus development.

Is that it?

I think once they extend the north stand, turn the lower into standing (3000 positions? - corner flag to corner flag) Keep the extended second tier for general sale and family as i dont think the demand for 6000 standing isnt there yet. However, the 2nd tier can have both sets of "seating" so it can be switched for big matches and create the Dortmund/KOP look.

cropped-RAVENHILL_Page_7.jpg

This is Kingspan - Ravenhill - Ulster Rugby in Belfast which has standing/seating on most sides. The standing at ground level is much better.

Last edited:
This. People who, ironically stand, want a standing area to make noise. How will that work? And what nobody has considered. Who will sit near the away fans? I sit in the NS now and I don't want to be near them. Some people who go to the game go just to be near the away fans for their own reasons. They won't move. So will that area just become a second standing area? If safe standing was introduced and these people didn't relocate the club would insist that this are would be for sitting and they would then moan that the away fans can stand and they are told by the "twats from Showsec" to sit down. If safe standing was introduced why not install it where fans stand now and move the displaced seats to the new extended NS?

That’s why the club are looking at so many options.

Safe Standing proposed sections.

NS lower level, NS new level 2 at the front, SS level 3 at the back, back of the NS lower, etc. See my screen grabs from the email posted further back.

Those of us, including me, I’ll be honest, want to see a home end full of singers and City fans. Yes I like being stood near the away fans, but the SS is a total mess, with home fans, away fans, a corporate block, a restaurant, etc. That’s not a home end. And it isn’t generating an atmosphere, bar the big games. The 2 singing sections either side of the away fans can’t hear each other, and the don’t sing together. Different chants, different times, etc. If we could unite both those singing sections into one area of the NS, that would be better. Saying that, I expect many of those in those areas to stay there, because they are close to the away fans, and because of the easy access in and out of the stadium. No need to walk around it.

I agree, and understand the concerns of the family stand. Where is the best place to move it, if it is moved? If it isn’t moved, then the final chance of creating a proper home end, explained above, won’t work, and will be gone, as you can’t have a safe standing singing stand/section mixed in with the family stand?(see below)

Either way, fans are going to be unhappy whatever the club decide. That was the case when fans were turfed out of the original NS to make way for the family stand. And when fans were moved out of level 2 to make way for corporate seating. As the club has the final say, and from past experience, City fans have to accept the clubs final decision and move. The club will give fans new seats, or fans will eventually find the right seats via the relocation window.

As I keep on saying, we don’t know the number of fans, and the amount of seasts and blocks involved, if the family stand is moved. It certainly won’t be the whole of the current lower or upper North Stand.

Last edited:
just a thought.

I would make all of the new North stand safe standing.

I would move the family stand to the front if the North stand second tier. I would make the whole of the North Stand lower tier the official singing section. I’d give 1894 the 2 centre blocks behind the goal.

So North stand lower, official safe standing singing section. North stand level 2, front blocks, family stand. The family stand is moved up and the kids get the front blocks, so they see the match better, and can hear and get involved in the chants below them. They could also sit down. Behind the family stand I would have normal safe standing in the remainder of the second tier, where Adult City fans can stand or sit.

But please bear in mind, if the family stand is moved to the front of level 2, they will hear swearing and abusive chants at times. Remember, there is no perfect solution. Somethings have to give. And it won’t be a stand tailored for kids and families anymore.

People in the Family Stand shouldn’t take this personally.

It’s simply because the South Stand isn’t well suited to have a loud atmospheric end. It’s divided into 3 tiers, it’s got corporate etc.

The development of the North Stand will be done so that it creates a much larger 2nd tier with no corporate seating, allowing us to have more of a ‘home end’ type stand.

It’s just the Family Stand that happens to be taking up that space at this present time.

just a thought.

I would move the family stand to the front if the North stand second tier. I would make the whole of the North Stand lower tier the official singing section. I’d give 1894 the 2 centre blocks behind the goal.

So North stand lower, official safe standing singing section. North stand level 2, front blocks, family stand. The family stand is moved up and the kids get the front blocks, so they see the match better, and can hear and get involved in the chants below them. They could also sit down. Behind the family stand I would have normal safe standing in the remainder of the second tier, where Adult City fans can stand or sit.

But please bear in mind, if the family stand is moved to the front of level 2, they will hear swearing and abusive chants at times. Remember, there is no perfect solution. Somethings have to give. And it won’t be a stand tailored for kids and families anymore.
I was just about to post something similar to this. What I will add is that kids won't be offended by bad language, parents maybe but I think if it works to improve the atmosphere it will have a bigger impact on kids becoming blues for life than any family stand.

just a thought.

My thoughts exactly as per above. But have second tier will have the changeable seating and no family stand on cup nights so 2nd tier can become all standing. Would be some buzz on a big Champions league night.

My thoughts exactly as per above. But have second tier will have the changeable seating and no family stand on cup nights so 2nd tier can become all standing. Would be some buzz on a big Champions league night.
Standing isn't allowed for champions league games I thought. Isn't that why Germany has rail seating , for UEFA games.

Standing isn't allowed for champions league games I thought. Isn't that why Germany has rail seating , for UEFA games.

It’s not allowed but everyone still just stands.

Similar to how our fans stand in certain sections now.

Actually, think the UEFA law is that everyone must be provided with a seat rather than it being you’re not allowed to stand.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.