Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

The solution to many of the transport constraints is in the bottom LH corner of that photo
I know it goes to Victoria as it is, but it wouldn't require a tremendous amount of engineering to connect Picadilly too.

If they reconnected the fork from just before Ardwick station to the Enterprise on Ashton Old Road, you could have a direct route from Picadilly that I guess would take about 3 mins in each direction.

Although it would give Manchester a loop between Pic and Vic, it would involve (re)building two small bridges, so its not going to be cost effective for 20-30 events (matches and concerts) a year, but maybe if there was an arena....

Even running a train as far as Ashburys, then running it in the other direction and going up the other fork at Gorton Road would be a solution.

I suspect Northern wouldn't have the spare capacity though anyway.

I know it goes to Victoria as it is, but it wouldn't require a tremendous amount of engineering to connect Picadilly too.

If they reconnected the fork from just before Ardwick station to the Enterprise on Ashton Old Road, you could have a direct route from Picadilly that I guess would take about 3 mins in each direction.

Although it would give Manchester a loop between Pic and Vic, it would involve (re)building two small bridges, so its not going to be cost effective for 20-30 events (matches and concerts) a year, but maybe if there was an arena....

Even running a train as far as Ashburys, then running it in the other direction and going up the other fork at Gorton Road would be a solution.

If they rebuilt the route into Piccadilly, they could trains round a continuous loop through Victoria and Oxford Road in both directions, a City centre overground service, it would be used every day, plenty of people live close to that loop.

Wonder if we’ll ever get a new ‘best in the world’ stadium where the athletics ground currently is? (Probably not)

5e1e60a8-c434-11e9-ae6e-a26d1d0455f4

I don't think they need to move the site of the stadium. If you look at what Real Madrid are doing to the Bernabeu without increasing the footprint or closing it at all, it's amazing how much you can transform an old stadium to make it look and feel like the best in the world.

If they eventually go through with the South Stand expansion and fill in the gaps to take the capacity up to around 70,000, they should be able to update the exterior beyond recognition.

I don't think they need to move the site of the stadium. If you look at what Real Madrid are doing to the Bernabeu without increasing the footprint or closing it at all, it's amazing how much you can transform an old stadium to make it look and feel like the best in the world.

If they eventually go through with the South Stand expansion and fill in the gaps to take the capacity up to around 70,000, they should be able to update the exterior beyond recognition.
With the NS extension, the inside if the ground will look fantastic. I think where people feel it falls flat a bit is the exterior and the landscaping around the ground. So much concrete and greyness, its dysmal to say the least. If they extend and the addition of the arena and facilities to support that, i think that's when they will make the stadium and surrounding area much more pleasing on the eye.

With the NS extension, the inside if the ground will look fantastic. I think where people feel it falls flat a bit is the exterior and the landscaping around the ground. So much concrete and greyness, its dysmal to say the least. If they extend and the addition of the arena and facilities to support that, i think that's when they will make the stadium and surrounding area much more pleasing on the eye.

I've always assumed they'll transform the outside, including the outside areas, city square, paths around the campus etc. when it's done. Not to go on about it too much but the Bernebeu before/after -

4500.jpg

estadio_santiagobernabeu_nuevo.jpg

From the outside you'd never know it's the same stadium, and although the design isn't my favourite, it shows just how much you can change the look of basically an 80 year old building.

Last edited:
Also falls flat with the rubbish concourses...

Originally posted by RMB2007 on SSC MCR.

Building.Co.UK.

Sir Robert McAlpine and Laing O’Rourke are both eying the chance to build a new 20,000-plus capacity arena in the shadow of Manchester City’s Etihad stadium.

The pair are understood to have been joined by Bam in looking at the job and one source said: “One of us will be successful in that. Everyone is going very hard for that one.”

Los Angeles-based developer Oak View Group launched a consultatation on the £300m plans last week with a second round due to take place before Christmas.

It won’t be bam. Too many issues on the training ground.

If they rebuilt the route into Piccadilly, they could trains round a continuous loop through Victoria and Oxford Road in both directions, a City centre overground service, it would be used every day, plenty of people live close to that loop.
Improved transport infrastructure would help City fans, but I can't see any major initiatives at the moment because the City centre seems to me devoid of people, and cars for much of the time. Deansgate, Cross St, Oxford Rd used to be heavily polluted and choked with cars. Manchester has changed a lot, and I don't think many of the people who are contributing in this topic realise this. The Metrolink is growing outwards, but I can't see any growth in the City centre.

If there genuinely is demand for transport then the solution is straightforward, put on more buses. Any commerical operator would seize the opportunity if the demand was there. I don't think it is.

Improved transport infrastructure would help City fans, but I can't see any major initiatives at the moment because the City centre seems to me devoid of people, and cars for much of the time. Deansgate, Cross St, Oxford Rd used to be heavily polluted and choked with cars. Manchester has changed a lot, and I don't think many of the people who are contributing in this topic realise this. The Metrolink is growing outwards, but I can't see any growth in the City centre.

If there genuinely is demand for transport then the solution is straightforward, put on more buses. Any commerical operator would seize the opportunity if the demand was there. I don't think it is.

Can’t see any growth in the city centre? What drugs are you on?

As well as the opportunity to get trains into the city centre, there is another possible destination that could solve a lot of the congestion and travel issues now and into the future...
The route going to Victoria Station actually has a fork not far from the stadium, the other fork goes out towards Ashton, and actually passes through Ashton Moss on its route. This would be a fantastic place to locate a park n ride car park to serve the stadium and arena (as well as the city centre too)
There is absolutely loads of space to build additional car parks there, and it also offers easy access to the M60 too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.