Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

will never understand why we are not building the new north stand extension, there are so many ways to fill the ground, why can't we be the 1st club to actually give a proper away allocation has opposed to the pitiful 2700 odd we give, giving 6000 would go along way to help filling any extension, over 50% of premiership clubs would easily fill 6000 seats, and help the atmosphere considerably.
From what I understand the Government put a limit of 3,000 away fans in the PL. It's supposed to be 20% for cup games but it's a long time since that allocation has been allowed.

Blackburn and Wigan do that, or did it it the premier league, most teams don't fill them, we only took 1,900 to Wigan once.
remember it well, but with tickets capped at 30 quid for away fans, lots of teams would bring more than 2700, accepted clubs like Palace and Brentord wouldnt, but the North West sides would, Leeds, Villa,Newcastle, Arsenal,Spurs, West Ham, Chelsea and Wolves,that's half the league already.

The Eastlands site wasn't a great choice of location for a major stadium as it isn't very close to railway stations with decent capacity. I know Ashbury's is a 15 minute walk or so, but it has short platforms and would struggle to manage match day crowds.

The Metrolink service will always struggle to meet demand, especially in the evenings or bad weather. You can only fit so many trams on the line on match days, especially as the Ashton line involves street running in both directions. Even the Piccadilly bound ones get slowed down by street running at Merril St (which is why empty trams cant easily get back to the stadium to do a return trip from the city centre after the games).

Working man had his chance and he fcked it up in the 70s and 80s. We can moan about it all we want but football would be dead and buried if it hadn't been sanitised in the 90s
Working man and society in the 70s and 80s fukced up in general, football was a barometer of the times, Thatcher's England and all that, pleased to say we have moved on.

Hooligans are a thing of the past, not everyone can afford 50 quid for a couple of hours entertainment , especially if you have a family and you want to take them.

Make top flight football affordable and easy to attend and I believe you will fill the stadiums, otherwise I think football will be in for a shock, even before covid , attendances were beginning to suffer.

Last edited:
remember it well, but with tickets capped at 30 quid for away fans, lots of teams would bring more than 2700, accepted clubs like Palace and Brentord wouldnt, but the North West sides would, Leeds, Villa,Newcastle, Arsenal,Spurs, West Ham, Chelsea and Wolves,that's half the league already.

Villa, Newcastle, West Ham and Wolves have all failed to sell the current 2700 allocation at least once in recent years.

The public transport nightmare makes night matches unattractive. It's not just Metrolink, bad though that is. I find that if I leave my seat like a greyhound out of the traps at the final whistle I can generally get onto one of the buses going into town without too much hassle. (The queuing system is a bit shit but it gets there.)

The snag is when I get into town I have to walk to the Arndale for an hourly bus. Hourly! Or get the tram or bus to a point about a mile from home and leg it. At my time of life, given that I am knackered, this latter is not an attractive option, especially if it's pissing down, far from an unlikely contingency in our glorious Greater Manchester.

In fairness to the club, this is not down to them and there's nowt they can do about it. Even if tickets were 50p I would still think twice about going to a night match because of this hassle.

The Eastlands site wasn't a great choice of location for a major stadium as it isn't very close to railway stations with decent capacity. I know Ashbury's is a 15 minute walk or so, but it has short platforms and would struggle to manage match day crowds.

The Metrolink service will always struggle to meet demand, especially in the evenings or bad weather. You can only fit so many trams on the line on match days, especially as the Ashton line involves street running in both directions. Even the Piccadilly bound ones get slowed down by street running at Merril St (which is why empty trams cant easily get back to the stadium to do a return trip from the city centre after the games).
As mentioned numerous times on here, there's a rail route down the west of the stadium that goes into Victoria and Ashbury's. If they can get the tram-train solution working there's a host of opportunities to feed visitors without needing Manchester City Centre. They can go up to the Sharp Project on existing track which is a tram and train interchange, plus there's a bit of space to park trams on busy matchdays a bit further on and where they can also get onto the Rochdale tram line or get trains to West Yorkshire (if a rail platform was developed). They can go directly into Victoria on existing track for those that want the Bury & Rochdale metrolink lines or trains to Bolton, Wigan, Liverpool. They can go to Ashbury's and beyond on existing track.

We just move so slowly in this country.

Last edited:

They need to renistate the Ardwick viaduct loop, put a stop in near the athletics track/ Merc garage and then they can run trains to and from Picc and Vic. But that would mean a huge capital cash injection into Manchester and currently they wont even install the additional platform capacity due to cost constraints to make full use of the ordsall curve? Meanwhile London continues to get zillions spent on it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.