Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

I'd imagine the tram logistics will improve somewhat with the opening of the coop arena.
How so though, there’s only 1 line up/down.
theres no loop/holding track at Etihad or at Piccadilly/gardens, so throughput is still limited and as it crosses slightly big roads in places, the throughput is further limited.

unless the COOP plans have an extra stop built, with a loop?

They need to renistate the Ardwick viaduct loop, put a stop in near the athletics track/ Merc garage and then they can run trains to and from Picc and Vic. But that would mean a huge capital cash injection into Manchester and currently they wont even install the additional platform capacity due to cost constraints to make full use of the ordsall curve? Meanwhile London continues to get zillions spent on it.
My understanding is that any idea of restoring the Ardwick viaduct in the direction of Piccadilly is effectively scuppered by plans to bring the HS2 service into Piccadilly on that side.

As mentioned numerous times on here, there's a rail route down the west of the stadium that goes into Victoria and Ashbury's. If they can get the tram-train solution working there's a host of opportunities to feed visitors without needing Manchester City Centre.

I'd love to see better use made of the Phillips Park-Ashbury's chord, but it would be a major challenge to introduce local tram-trains onto the segment of the route between Phillips Park Junction and Victoria.

The current Victoria-Stalybridge upgrade is all about increasing line speeds (and then electrification) as that is the route that nearly all the Transpennine express trains will be using in future.

Doing all that to speed things up (and increase reliability), and then slowing everything down to accommodate tram-trains would be opposed by various interest groups, such as the train companies, the Mayors of Liverpool/Leeds, etc.

My suggestion would be to focus on strengthening Metrolink:

(1) Add in some bay platforms at the Arena (a bit like Media City at Salford Quays) to increase the number of trams dedicated to serving events at the Etihad campus
(2) Underground the tram lines at Merill St (i.e. cut and cover) to remove the bottleneck

Both of those are entirely local decisions and don't need buy-in from Network Rail, the TOCs or any non-Manchester authorities.

It is also worth considering upgrading Ashbury's Railway Station to make it more attractive to users, especially those heading east after matches. The couple of times I've used it, it was a pretty dismal place.

I'd love to see better use made of the Phillips Park-Ashbury's chord, but it would be a major challenge to introduce local tram-trains onto the segment of the route between Phillips Park Junction and Victoria.

The current Victoria-Stalybridge upgrade is all about increasing line speeds (and then electrification) as that is the route that nearly all the Transpennine express trains will be using in future.

Doing all that to speed things up (and increase reliability), and then slowing everything down to accommodate tram-trains would be opposed by various interest groups, such as the train companies, the Mayors of Liverpool/Leeds, etc.
When there's an event on at Wembley they change the train schedule but I see the argument, the routes are packed out as it is. The thing is in Manchester they want people to ditch their cars but don't offer reliable alternatives. I'd be happy with a shuttle bus running from Queen's Rd - Sharp Project - Etihad before and after the game to reduce overcrowding on the tram into Piccadilly. That would probably get me to use it, but as it stands it's just easier and cheaper to drive and park.

Now.

PXL-20210628-104401614-PANO-3.jpg

when's it estimated to be complete?

I reckon a box park on the gasworks site next.

Then Manchester Life will start creeping between there and New Islington/Ancoats.

My mate who used to work in the ticket office bought one of the new builds year the ground not long after the take over, made a fortune on it and done one up to Saddleworth now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.