Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Seeing as we’re slightly off topic, re high speed rail, and the Governments broken promises announced today, everything you need to know about what the broken promises mean to Manchester. Apparently Manchester has come out of it pretty well. Scroll down the page to read the views of the SSC-MCR Transport forum members views of today’s Government announcements.

Last edited:
I think the Met could work really well if we had a fully integrated public transport pricing structure (that Andy Burnham has been promising for years). If you could buy one cheap ticket and any form of public transport within one day buses and trams would be far busier.

If I solely relied on public transport for City I could either get a bus to the met stop (paying for both separately and journey takes over an hour for around 7/8 miles) or I can get a bus to a train station into picc then either walk or get the met... that would cost over £12 easily. I might as well get an uber!
This is what I tell my son when he goes to town. Get an Uber. Two people on the Met is more expensive than an Uber. It's nonsense. We are probably paying for all the fare dodging!

The fastest Japanese passenger train (Maglef) travels at 268 mph. They are testing a new train at present that has reached 357mph. The average speed for trains on the Manchester to Leeds route is around 30mph. That is how far we are behind advanced nations. It is a national scandal.
Mate, mate, mate, Japan is a shit hole, that's why they travel so fast, whereas, Collyhurst is a place of natural beauty......

Do I have to explain everyfink!!

The fastest Japanese passenger train (Maglef) travels at 268 mph. They are testing a new train at present that has reached 357mph. The average speed for trains on the Manchester to Leeds route is around 30mph. That is how far we are behind advanced nations. It is a national scandal.
China Similar.

Having been all over China with work their infrastructure just doesnt compare. Even their “standard” inter city trains are on another level!!

If you want cheap public transport it has to be subsidised by taxation.

The Metrolink has no - that is zero - revenue subsidy which is why it is so dear. Your ticket pays for all costs and some of the cost of extra trams/future expansion.

The problem with this country is that everyone wants high-quality public services and low taxes. This is an impossible circle to square, although lying politicians have tried to persuade people for the last 40 years that it can all be achieved by 'efficiency'. Sorry, but even the most efficient chef can't produce fillet steak for the price of a McDonald's shitburger.

In 20 years the rest of the world will be building hyperloops doing 700mph and we will be debating if its worth the cost to make trains go 120mph.

Seeing as we’re slightly off topic, re high speed rail, and the Governments brokwn promises announced today, everything you need to know about what the broken promises mean to Manchester. Apparently Manchester has come out of it pretty well. Scroll down the page to read the views of the SSC-MCR Transport forum members views of today’s Government announcements.

Loved that post which showed that Manchester to Liverpool was in the train timetable as a 40-minute journey in 1914!

If you want cheap public transport it has to be subsidised by taxation.

The Metrolink has no - that is zero - revenue subsidy which is why it is so dear. Your ticket pays for all costs and some of the cost of extra trams/future expansion.

The problem with this country is that everyone wants high-quality public services and low taxes. This is an impossible circle to square, although lying politicians have tried to persuade people for the last 40 years that it can all be achieved by 'efficiency'. Sorry, but even the most efficient chef can't produce fillet steak for the price of a McDonald's shitburger.
No problem with this at all as long as it is open and transparent on your tax bill. Perhaps we should ringfence some of the huge amount taken in fuel duty for public transport. While we are at it we should ringfence money from a sugar tax to improve our health services.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.