Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

That’s fair enough, but I don’t think our owners think like that. I’m sure they’d be only too happy to have the Etihad host the CL final.

Neither would Etihad, MCC, owners of hotels, bars, pubs, restaurants, taxi drivers, etc.

As long as either Rangers or Celtic never get to the CL final at the Etihad.

For CL games I’m sure the tv media can’t use the words The Etihad and have to refer it as the City of Manchester stadium.
UEFA regs probably.

I’m sure both Hotels at Stamford Bridge, one attached to the stadium, have never made an operating profit?(stand corrected on that, but read it somewhere)

They were both going to be demolished as part of the Stamford Bridge redevelopment before that was abandoned after Roman had to sell Chelsea.

6CA42ADE-215B-45E7-866E-7CB82607A3A8.jpeg

9D3D5335-EC86-41E3-8562-90190654CC80.jpeg

513BF13A-A364-42EA-B649-3CD5AF37BE67.jpeg

For CL games I’m sure the tv media can’t use the words The Etihad and have to refer it as the City of Manchester stadium.
UEFA regs probably.

Yes that’s correct. Only CL sponsors are allowed to be advertised.

I’m sure both Hotels at Stamford Bridge, one attached to the stadium, have never made an operating profit?(stand corrected on that, but read it somewhere)

They were both going to be demolished as part of the Stamford Bridge redevelopment before that was abandoned after Roman had to sell Chelsea.

View attachment 59879

View attachment 59881

View attachment 59882

I assume the hotel at LCCC is making money as they’re doubling it’s size. City need to do something similar and make the Etihad campus a viable hotel location for people visiting Manchester as well as those at concerts etc.

View attachment 59879

View attachment 59881

View attachment 59882
As a football only hotel perhaps 2 viable hotels are optomistic but I get the feeling that our a combined Etihad extension and a separate hotel to service the football on match days and a more regular Coop venue is planned at some stage.

UEFA regs probably.
I only just noticed last night that the club have to scramble the white & blue seats around in the north and south stands to hide the word Etihad and the Puma logo for CL games. What a palaver.

I assume the hotel at LCCC is making money as they’re doubling it’s size. City need to do something similar and make the Etihad campus a viable hotel location for people visiting Manchester as well as those at concerts etc.
Hotel Football, opposite the Swamp, owned by Neville & Co made a loss.

It has been revealed that Hotel Football, the hospitality group owned by former Manchester United stars Ryan Giggs and Gary Neville, has lost £3.2 million over the last two years and owes more than £10 million in loans.

Annual accounts for the business, which were filed last week(September), show that the hotel has suffered financially due to the impact of the Covid pandemic and the subsequent national lockdowns.

The documents also revealed that the firm’s parent company, Orchid Leisure Ltd, had loaned the hotel business £10.2 million to ensure its survival.

Neville said that financial figures for 2022 have been “very encouraging”.

He added: “Based on the above the directors are confident that the company will have sufficient funds to meet its liabilities as they fall due for at least the next 12 months.’’

I’d like to see a mixed use Hotel/apartment tower, including a viewing lounge/bar built close to the stadium, preferably on the Collar Site.

The Hotel would be busy. The apartments would sell. (football, music & events, Asda ;-), tram stop into the city centre, etc) I’d certainly use the lounge/bar if it was similar to Cloud 23(Beetham tower) and 20 stories.(No1 Spinningfield), just for the views.

Last edited:

MCFC and the Council formed a joint venture company in 2012 to develop land in the vicinity of the stadium, and back then (in fact, even before then), MCC was proclaiming its intention to work with the club to make the Campus a 24/7 destination. This included the creation of a "visitor attraction of international significance" on the Collar Site.

There are valid reasons why the Collar Site remains undeveloped all these years later, but as @jrb posted recently, it's nonetheless rather disappointing for those of us who took a strong interest in this project from the beginning. I was one, having at that time two pretty good contacts (one inside the club and one a professional adviser) who were providing very exciting snippets of information regarding what might happen. Both have long since moved on, incidentally, so I'm now in the dark rather than receiving news of encouraging prospects that never come to pass.

The arena isn't strictly on the Collar Site and I don't think it's what was originally meant as the "attraction of international significance" that was trailed out the outset. It will, however, attract additional numbers of visitors to the Campus numbering a couple of million or more annually, so hopefully will stimulate further development - hotel accommodation together with mixed use retail and leisure outlets offer an obvious synergy, and - who knows? - perhaps they might finally bring forth the stellar attraction that was originally being spoken of.

I’d have thought most people would rather stay in Manchester apart from a convenience point of view.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.