EU referendum

• In

Votes: 503 47.9%
  • Out

Votes: 547 52.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would we go "The Norway route". We have almost nothing in common with Norway when it comes to your trade relation with EU nations.

And just to re-emphasise the point. We pay something close to 8 billion net to have those EU stickers and signs put up!

the Norwegian route is one of the few that had been mentioned as a possibility, so I used it as an example.

I've not got a clue which way the gov would take it

How can the Leave side tell you for definite what the trading relationship will be like before the negotiations have taken place?

They wouldn't even if they could. They're desperate to maintain the illusion that the UK will be able to escape from any commitments or obligations to the EU and still be given a free trade agreement. No contribution to the EU budget, no need to comply with any directives, especially the free movement of labour, but still trade as before.

The problem for the Brexiters is that they cant have any sensible debate before the vote about alternative forms of UK - EU relationship because they would have to accept that some form compromise would be required. And there's no chance of the various Leave groups agreeing on what the red lines would be (other than that everything would be a red line).

The risk is that if we vote Leave it would then take several months of internal squabbling before they could agree on a mandate for the negotiators to open negotiations. All that will happen is that Boris will ask for a free trade agreement with no strings attached, be politely told by Merkel to get serious, and then there will be a Mexican stand off until the second referendum.

They wouldn't even if they could. They're desperate to maintain the illusion that the UK will be able to escape from any commitments or obligations to the EU and still be given a free trade agreement. No contribution to the EU budget, no need to comply with any directives, especially the free movement of labour, but still trade as before.

The problem for the Brexiters is that they cant have any sensible debate before the vote about alternative forms of UK - EU relationship because they would have to accept that some form compromise would be required. And there's no chance of the various Leave groups agreeing on what the red lines would be (other than that everything would be a red line).

The risk is that if we vote Leave it would then take several months of internal squabbling before they could agree on a mandate for the negotiators to open negotiations. All that will happen is that Boris will ask for a free trade agreement with no strings attached, be politely told by Merkel to get serious, and then there will be a Mexican stand off until the second referendum.
The other countries have chosen a path of political and monetary union/free movement of labour. Presumably because they think these things are a good idea. So if not being part of this project is seen as being such a bad idea by the others then we should be able to respectfully decline to be part of it without this causing any problems. Unless of course they know that a UK freed from the chains of excessive regulation and costly directives would prosper?

They've already said they want to put a free trade agreement in place with the EU.
Ta, don't suppose you have any links? I couldn't find anything.

The problem with it is we would be paying a lot into the EU for a free trade agreement.

These payments are usually based on a per capita system, if the figure I read of £700m per year for a Swiss deal is accurate ( quite a old figure with no backup ) the uk will end up paying about 5bn a year, and will still have to obey the EU laws and have no emps at the table. That's assuming we could get a similar deal, Bit of guess work in there due to no hard facts.

Switzerland has 27 other free trade agreements with other counties too.

There will not be a Norway route or a Swiss option. The UK will not be part of the EEA if it leaves the EU.
This has been made absolutely clear by the EU and many member states.
It's fairy tale central, the Brexit HQ :-)

To those comparing the UK government's ideals to those of the EU, what happens if the EU lurches to the right and then doesn't agree with your ideals? It is a dictatorship and you're only happy with the current dictator.
Europe hasn't had governance more right wing than the current Tory government since the early 40's, I reckon most are worried about the lurch to the right in the UK tbh and that is a little more pressing. It is not a dictatorship in the slightest it has branches selected by vote, by democratically elected leaders etc.

Such exaggeration is bordering on a lie

There will not be a Norway route or a Swiss option. The UK will not be part of the EEA if it leaves the EU.
The U.K. Will never be a Switzerland or Norway it does not have the incredibly valuable neutrality of Switzerland built over a very long time and it has a fraction of the money and natural resources per head Norway does. Also people like even Switzerland globally a lot more than the UK politically (in terms of governments)

But then if we exit and go the Norway route we end up paying to be part of the trading block and getting no rebate at all ( just fact checking myself on this due to conflicting info )

Which brings me back to something I said earlier that to have an informed vote we need to know what direction we would take on exiting.

And I don't think they pocket it, it goes to grants to smaller less prolific countries in the EU that need the cash more.
Not one outer is able to Ren give a hint as to what Britains economic future is, what will bring the wealth , the population, what's the strategy. There isn't one this is people lashing out as they always do looking for someone to blame when times are hard. Thankfully given Britains proclivity for moderation it is voting out of a club and not Jack boots and some of the nonsense we see elsewhere.

Won't solve any of the issues though , nor will staying in that would require long term intelligent and brave political leadership. Sadly when you can't manage one of the three that's not very good

Sure. :-)

I bet you're awesome at negotiations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.