EU referendum

• In

Votes: 503 47.9%
  • Out

Votes: 547 52.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting read this. Some very good points being put across from both sides. Occasionally I think I'm reading Nigel Farage's auto cue rather than a poster's thoughts.

My view has always been whether total Europe or total UK or total Wales it is all just arbitraty. I disagree with all the nonsense about it being fascism if a law comes from Europe and democracy if from London. I think that there is a trade off every time you reduce the size of a body between the efficiency and bargaining power you have and the democratic deficit you gain. I don't think the UK is run in the interest of all of the UK anymore than I think the EU is run in the interests of all of the EU, in both cases they are run in the interests of a wealthy few who control the message. Look at the debate one wealthy Eton educated Oxford educated moderately able white middle aged man arguing against another.

I get that. I don't have any particular problem with laws coming from the EU; my concern is that if they bring in a law that isn't in the UK's best interest then there is no accountability. I wouldn't have a clue who I should protest to! Obviously we have MEPs in the European Parliament but most of the legislature seems to come from the European Council and European Commission. The UK has one seat on each of those, often seems to be in the minority and that one seat is being ever diluted with the addition of more member states. The UK parliament, whilst I get your point about a north/south divide, seems much simpler.

In many ways I think it's irellevant and Cleary it's not effecting me directly either way. But what I want to see is an actual long term plan and vision, with great honesty on what Britains future is. What is the economic plan, how will health care and an ageing population be paid for, what are people prepared to give up to secure that. What is the ideal level for where power sits, what is the relationship in Euprpe, what is Britains role in the world etc. All far bigger and more important issues than the EU.

It's difficult with Cameron being on the In side. I'm sure Boris has plans for how to make an independent UK work, Labour would be daft to not have that contingency and UKIP produced an independently verified costed manifesto in the last general election (although admittedly there has to be some estimation involved). I'm very happy with the UK's current position within NATO and the UN. I don't agree with a block on immigration but I'm completely against uncontrolled immigration. All in all, I don't really care about how people around the world see us - I just think we're getting taken for a ride by the EU at the moment.

All I see is Britain talking itself into a crisis, undermining its future and an argument created to avoid dealing with the real issues. What's more both sides don't seem to have any vision of where to go and how and a single positive argument between them. Behind that a deeply ignorant electorate (on the real facts of this situation - not calling the British thick) vote based on what a few politicians and very very wealthy people tell them.

As I said above, I think there will be plans but it isn't general election time and a lot can change before the next general election. I'd love to hear Boris' plans for an independent UK but I'm not sure it is right for him to air them whilst he is not the incumbent PM.

It is genuinely a fuck up and a failure of leadership in the UK and its causing damage in itself regardless of what the vote does.

On this, I agree. I wish Cameron had held back from campaigning at all really. Let Osbourne campaign for In and Boris for Out and give them both all of the resources they need and the public all of the information they request. I think he'd have come out of it for the better as well - he's stepping down so this isn't his fight.

I think you completely missed the point of the question either that or you don't have an answer. I suspect that you don't even recognise the problem.
I understand the point of the question it was an attempt to pretend the uk is an amazing democracy where I can easily help influence law change and Europe is a dictatorship with no democratic ability to effect change. It was an attempt to simplify a very complex situation to make a political point

Being part of the biggest trading bloc attracting investment, Global company's are based here because we're apart of it.

Being part of the EU means we have say in EU laws mainly for business, leaving would mean we have no say. -
More than 50% of our exports go to EU countries, and our membership allows us to have a say over how trading rules are drawn up.

It has been estimated that UK trade with some countries in Europe could have increased by as much as 50% as a result of EU membership

Freedom to work In other EU member states

The European Arrest Warrant cuts out the need for long and complicated extradition procedures and allows criminals to be brought to justice across the EU

The EU is the world's biggest market and plays a big role in world trade, climate change issues, development projects and more.

It has the clout to take on multinationals such as Google and Microsoft. At the moment Britain plays a key role in the EU, and leaving would see us forgo that.

Stripped of influence in Brussels, Berlin and Paris, Britain would find itself increasingly ignored by Washington and sidelined on big transnational issues such as the environment, security and trade.

America and other allies want Britain to remain in the EU. The UK risks becoming a maverick, isolated state if it leaves.

British families enjoy lower mobile phone roaming charges, lower credit card fees, cheaper flights and proper compensation when flights are delayed or cancelled. These sorts of benefits could not be achieved by Britain alone.

The EU has helped secure peace among previously warring western European nations. It helped to consolidate democracy in Spain, Portugal, Greece and former Soviet bloc countries and helped preserve peace in the Balkans since the end of the Balkans War. With the UN it now plays a leading role in conflict prevention, peacekeeping and democracy building.

Equal pay for men and women is enshrined in EU law, as are bans on discrimination by age, race or sexual orientation. This benefits Britain and British people who live in other EU countries.

The UK is the second largest beneficiary of EU research funds, and the British Government expects future EU research funding to constitute a vital source of income for our world-leading universities and companies.

really? Were it to go tits up we would be a different proposition - why would they want us back if we were no longer the 5th biggest economy? Would they want the say 25th? If Romania and Turkey are such basket cases then why would the EU burden themselves with another crap economy if it went tits up for us - if we haven't voted in a generation then believe me its a generation at least before the EU would want us back in.
If we vote to leave it will stir nationalist parties up in other EU countries - they won't forgive us quickly for upsetting the delicate balance they have all striven to establish. We leave and the ticket is one way.
In or out are both a leap into a cesspit. The only difference is that we know what kind of cesspit an IN vote will bring.
Belive me that that cesspit will get deeper,and when the shit goes above your head you won't be able to cry for help.

Just seen rag cafe's referendum poll on this and its almost a mirror opposite of ours - 68% to remain 32% to leave - can any political scientists on here interpret what this means in terms of the respective demographics of both sets of supporters ;-)
Shows there all thick as fu*K.

Reads like BS to me
It is bullshit. He claims there is a myth that the EU accounts have never been signed off. The real claim which is true is that the last accounts to get a clean bill of health were 2012.

Here is what the audit for 2014 says:
Summary of the 2014 Statement of Assurance

The European Court of Auditors gives a clean opinion on the reliability of the 2014 accounts of the European Union.

Revenue for 2014, taken as a whole, is legal and regular.
Payments for 2014 are materially affected by error. We therefore give an adverse opinion on their legality and regularity.

For the full text of our statement of assurance, please refer to Chapter 1 of the 2014 annual report.

http://www.eca.europa.eu/Lists/ECADocuments/auditinbrief-2014/auditinbrief-2014-EN.pdf

The estimated level of error, which measures the level of irregularity, for 2014 payments is 4.4 %, close to that of 2013 (4.5 %) and persistently above the materiality threshold of 2 %.

correction:
2012 was materially affected by error too!

EU accounts = 4-5% fraud in payments consistently.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.