Ever seen what goes on inside a slaughterhouse?

SharpDressedMan said:
jacko74 said:
Thats interesting, did you know studies have shown that psychopaths and serial killers have been shown to have no compassion towards animals? Hows your relationship with your mother?

There is a difference between showing compassion for animals and showing compassion for a lump of cooked meat

Liar. I saw you in Asda with a glazed look in your eyes, fixed onto the leg of lamb and a nice Chianti in your hand!

Could be worse. We could be chasing the fuckers around a field with a bow and arrow. Skinning them alive using their hide to cloth us, meat to sustain us... oh wait. Let's all cloth ourselves with flowers and hug trees.

Pigeonho said:
SharpDressedMan said:
There is a difference between showing compassion for animals and showing compassion for a lump of cooked meat

Liar. I saw you in Asda with a glazed look in your eyes, fixed onto the leg of lamb and a nice Chianti in your hand!

Good thing you didn't see me with the bagels in the bakery aisle

Pigeonho said:
At the end of the day, the animal has to be killed and there are humane methods of doing it. My ex's dad, (sadly no longer with us), used to work at the abatoir near COMS and he told me a good few stories about how they go about the killings. The best one was the bullet to the cows brain. The cow is clamped into some cushioned grips and someone aims a pressurized gun at its head, firing a solid cylinder at the head to kill it. It falls in an instant, if done right. He told how how on one occasion it 'went wrong' and the cow managed to go that berzerk it broke free of the grips. Not a good time to be a 10 stone, average height male! I used to love it though as me and the ex had just bought our first home and we would always have fresh steak for tea, huge fillets of beef for Sundays and countless supplies of chicken, all free too. RIP Andy, top, top bloke if ever there was one.
Spot on there with all that info. Whilst there I was also told how a cow broke loose before they had a chance to shoot it. Terrifying those on the slaughterhouse floor. That may be the same incident, not sure. A few more techniques that went on there. Pigs are supposed to be gassed first till dead, then lowered head first into scalding water tubs in view of hygiene. I never saw pigs getting gassed. Just lowered screaming and howling into the scalding water alive. There is one particular violent act, that I will never forget, committed by 2 young slaughter men who took it upon themselves to show off for my benefit. They had a wager that they could knock a sheep out with a crowbar and kill it instantly. The sheep rose to its feet after the first strike obviously seriously hurt, but not dead. You can imagine what goes on next. Barbaric. About the free stuff. There was a security guy always on the door, but the porters always had ways round that.

Right I went to a wedding where the vegetarian option was Salmon.
Why is it ok for Veggies to eat fish but not beef, pork etc?

I am not having a dig, I am just curious.

foxy said:

I think because fish are generally kept in much more humane conditions. Agree with you though.

foxy said:

Pescatarians? It's down to personal choice I imagine. They don't/won't eat mammals but see fish as ok to eat or whatever, I'm not sure really.

Not sure of the idealogy behind it although when I first went veggie I carried on eating fish for a while to make it easier until I realised I didn't miss meat at all so I jacked fish in too.

jamiegrimble said:
Pigeonho said:
At the end of the day, the animal has to be killed and there are humane methods of doing it. My ex's dad, (sadly no longer with us), used to work at the abatoir near COMS and he told me a good few stories about how they go about the killings. The best one was the bullet to the cows brain. The cow is clamped into some cushioned grips and someone aims a pressurized gun at its head, firing a solid cylinder at the head to kill it. It falls in an instant, if done right. He told how how on one occasion it 'went wrong' and the cow managed to go that berzerk it broke free of the grips. Not a good time to be a 10 stone, average height male! I used to love it though as me and the ex had just bought our first home and we would always have fresh steak for tea, huge fillets of beef for Sundays and countless supplies of chicken, all free too. RIP Andy, top, top bloke if ever there was one.
Spot on there with all that info. Whilst there I was also told how a cow broke loose before they had a chance to shoot it. Terrifying those on the slaughterhouse floor. That may be the same incident, not sure. A few more techniques that went on there. Pigs are supposed to be gassed first till dead, then lowered head first into scalding water tubs in view of hygiene. I never saw pigs getting gassed. Just lowered screaming and howling into the scalding water alive. There is one particular violent act, that I will never forget, committed by 2 young slaughter men who took it upon themselves to show off for my benefit. They had a wager that they could knock a sheep out with a crowbar and kill it instantly. The sheep rose to its feet after the first strike obviously seriously hurt, but not dead. You can imagine what goes on next. Barbaric. About the free stuff. There was a security guy always on the door, but the porters always had ways round that.

Couldn't tell if you were being sarcy or not? Anyways, sounds like you were there and if that did go on, well then oviously that is not right. I know Andy wouldn't have stood for that, it would have been stamped out immediately, however he had been there since the early 80's and was one of the old school. The fact you said they were showing off tells its own story. You can only hope one of those cows which break free manage to reach one of those nob heads and cause some real damage. Was it the abbatoir near our stadium you worked? He, (the ex's dad), eventually contracted lung cancer, having never smoked in his life. As it was diagnosed he told the family how a few months earlier a cow carcass had come loose and landed on his chest as he slipped to try and steady it. He believes that triggered the cancer. He always had this way of looking at it ironically though, never a mard-arse. He looked at it in a funny way that he had possibly caught cancer through working in a slaughter house. Top bloke.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.