Everton - Post match thread.

The centre backs ball watch and the holder ball chases. I sympathise with the back line as being countered 3 vs 3 is hard to deal with, especially when running backwards. It's a situation which always favours the forwards.

In an effort to get back in control of the situation Fernandinho opted to to ground, selling himself in the process. He and Otamendi are visibly the weak links. Both very reactionary and rash. It causes too much chaos. It's fine one week when interceptions are coming off, but total shite a week later when we get sliced through by a good side.

I'm sat next to that & I.was shouting at them to see what was around them. Elementary stuff.

A point is a very decent result from playing the best part of a half down a man and the second half performance and spirit we showed was great however it doesn't excuse them from any criticism I'm afraid.

New season, same city. plenty of chances, not half chances but guilt edge chances to score before they did and we choose to try and walk it in and fail to convert any only to concede to the first chance they get.

Not that we didn't have enough already, but today was further proof that sane is a woeful wing back. Doesn't look remotely interested in playing the role, he's just playing left wing but with no cover. How many of the kolarov haters will excuse sane for casually jogging back time after time, including for the goal?

with no walker, for the next game and mendy not being ready it's also highlighted just how risky it is to have just 3 fullbacks this season. We'll end up playing and more likely losing games because we're forced to play the likes of Fernandinho and sane, possibly even both at the same time if we're really unlucky at fullback/wingback.

It's a glaring weakness, it takes just one player missing for us to not be able to rest them as the alternatives after those main three are simply not viable. Teams are already targeting our left hand wide when sane is playing there because we're very vulnerable in that area.

We should not be going into a Season with such an obvious weakness which is why
In a way this was a good thing today as we've still got time to address the problems. I'm just hoping sane at wingback isn't one of peps stubborn projects that he refuses to let drop. Go out get another left fullback in whilst we still can.

On the plus side, the 3 centre backs look a lot more comfortable in that formation, Ederson looked assured, that one kick to Aguero was superb and Bernardo showed some good glimpses again.

Firstly, it's clear the FA have given their usual instructions to fuck us over at every opportunity. Somebody needs to create a thread of all the ridiculous decisions we'll get arseraped with this season because if tonight is anything to go by we're gonna get our legs done week in week out.

Other than that there was lots to be happy with.

Excellent attitude, composure and grit to come back with 10 men. Good sign the mentality is strong.

We were clearly still the better side even with a man less.

Ederson looks competent coming for corners and set pieces and coming off his line to sweep.

I liked the way the CBs often became full backs or moved into central midfield to add numbers.

Plenty of chances created (but nowhere near ruthless enough with them). Should have scored 4 or 5.

Bernardo Silva is absolutely wonderful.

I've seen enough to know it'll be us and Chelsea going head to head for the title.

Need to come out of the starting blocks much quicker, thought we were great second half and sterling changed the game. He has to start next week, and sane isnt a lwb!

Nearly had a heart attack when those fireworks went off at the start.

We'd had 2 or 3 great chances before Walker was sent off. With 11 men it was only a matter of time before we scored..... in my opinion

We had eleven men when we went a goal down! I can see why you'd think that but personally I saw so much more urgency, determination and confidence after the sending off. We were lacking in all three of those things beforehand.

PEP: "We tried to win the game even when it was 10 against 11. Nobody can say we didn't try."

PEP: "It's similar to a lot of games last season, it's sad because we wanted to start well at home."

PEP: "We are here for the results, but we didn't win... It’s just the second game and we’ll improve

PEP: "We tried to find ways of attacking them and we did. We had opportunities and we never gave up."

Hopefully behind closed doors he's pissed off with our first half and shit finishing again, and doubles efforts to sign Sanchez or Mbappe.

Great football missed chances let in a bad goal.

Then ran rings round a top 6 side with 10 men.

Imo better than any performance last season. Tighten up at the back, we score & we score again.

Make it harder to score v us & we win the title.

He does have a point though, until Sterling came on and forced the issue, we took far too few shots for the amount of good play we'd created.

Ultimately to shoehorn in Aguero and Jesus. I think things will change and I wouldn't be surprised to see Sane-Jesus-Sterling again when Mendy is available.

10 men against 12 and we looked a class above even at that.

The result wasn't what we wanted, but there's much to be positive about there.

Bore off. How do you counter attack against a team that sits back? Everton had exactly one shot on goal all game and were content to park the bus and hack us down any time we got round it.

Agree with everything you've said.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.