FA Cup 5th Round Draw (against Chelsea Home)

Damocles said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Jesus fucking Christ.
What a small time defeatist attitude some folk have.
Years in the wilderness, and now we fear nobody.
Except some of us still do.
But I'm sure they're right, as they always are.

I'll expand the logic.

Let's say that you've put your life on a game of football for some insane reason. I don't know, aliens have hypnotised you or some shite.

You can pick the team that Manchester City have to beat to save your life. Both teams will play their best players and try to win.

Your choices are Chelsea or Harrogate Railway Athletic. Which do you pick?

This is what I meant by winning mentality. Winning mentality isn't rag arrogance that we're going to twat every team in the world 5-0. Winning mentality is being focused on winning trophies by any means necessary. Our job of winning trophies would have been easier if we drew Harrogate Railway Athletic than it would if we drew Chelsea, so that is the favoured outcome. Anything that is the favoured outcome that allows us to realise our goal of winning trophies is the option that we want.

It's not a "small time mentality" to suggest that Chelsea is going to be a harder game than some of the other options.

Heres where this goes to pot..

We didnt have a choice fella!! but its how we deal with the cards we are dealt..

Re: FA Cup 5th Round Draw

cavendishblue said:
RandomJ said:
We have the worst February fixtures I have ever seen. Surely now signings need to be made because that is going to push our squad to breaking point.

Spot on - the quality in depth myth is just that. We have about 16 top players, a couple will be out injured. We couldn't get away with Rodwell, Lopes, Jovetic and Richards against Watford at home . Optimism has its place but beating Chelsea or Barca will take a lot out of the players and require all the first 11. Who the hell are we going to play against Sunderland a couple of days before if all the top players are needed for both Chelsea and Barca? If we go for a mix of 1st & 2nd rank players in each game I could easily see us dropping home points to Sunderland, getting a replay at the Bridge and losing it and not doing nearly enough in the 1st leg against Barca to go through over too legs. We would not be the first team to fall between the stools going gung-ho in all competitions and for those who believe we have 2 world class players for each position, we don't!

Which is what I've been saying. We're not being pussys thinking we can't win the games. We can beat Chelsea, we can even beat Barca if we play our best but only with our first 11. No matter our squad size it really isn't that deep in terms of quality. Would you want Messi or Neymar running at an out of form Richards? Would you want the same running at Garcia or Rodwell? No you wouldn't so we can't just swap players in and out during these games. And I don't care what you think about how fit the players are playing tough games a few days apart really does take it out of them which means we can't be 100% for the next game which will affect us.

Like others have said the draw is done and we just have to deal with it but some of the "I'm hard as nails" posters really are either over estimating our squad or underestimating the effects the fixture congestion will have.

Sky Blue said:
standupifyouhatemanu said:
I find this quite amazing.

When I was was stood at Edgeley Park getting beaten 3-1, wet through with no hope, when we where visiting Macc, Swindon, Port Vale etc etc, when we were averaging 1 goal a month under psycho I would have given anything to play Chelsea and Barca within 3 days of each other and be planning a Wembley trip a couple of weeks later!

This is awesome, all the years in the wilderness and the rags glory years. Drink it in, it may not last for ever!

Great post....and I was at that County game too.

Enjoy the ride, blues....

I think I was - was kit Simons really shit that day??

samharris said:
Damocles said:
Jesus fucking Christ.

I'll expand the logic.

Let's say that you've put your life on a game of football for some insane reason. I don't know, aliens have hypnotised you or some shite.

You can pick the team that Manchester City have to beat to save your life. Both teams will play their best players and try to win.

This is what I meant by winning mentality. Winning mentality isn't rag arrogance that we're going to twat every team in the world 5-0. Winning mentality is being focused on winning trophies by any means necessary. Our job of winning trophies would have been easier if we drew Harrogate Railway Athletic than it would if we drew Chelsea, so that is the favoured outcome. Anything that is the favoured outcome that allows us to realise our goal of winning trophies is the option that we want.

It's not a "small time mentality" to suggest that Chelsea is going to be a harder game than some of the other options.

Heres where this goes to pot..

We didnt have a choice fella!! but its how we deal with the cards we are dealt..

I was making a point about those who preferred an easier game.

worsleyweb said:
Sky Blue said:

When I was was stood at Edgeley Park getting beaten 3-1, wet through with no hope, when we where visiting Macc, Swindon, Port Vale etc etc, when we were averaging 1 goal a month under psycho I would have given anything to play Chelsea and Barca within 3 days of each other and be planning a Wembley trip a couple of weeks later!

This is awesome, all the years in the wilderness and the rags glory years. Drink it in, it may not last for ever!

''That day''?

Damocles said:
Jesus fucking Christ.

I'll expand the logic.

I'm sure Harrogate Railway got knocked out.

worsleyweb said:
Sky Blue said:

Along with 10 others plus subs!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.