FA Cup Final - Post Game thread

I see Kalvin Phillip's decided to watch Leeds today rather than be at the parade. Bye bye Kalvin!
Was there ever any doubt? He wasn’t here, didn’t get a medal, and is a Leeds lad and fan. I’d have been surprised if he had been anywhere other than at Wembley!

Good luck to him and I hope he can get what was once a good career back on track wherever he lands. Turns out, he was just not good enough to play for the best team in the world, which carries no shame.

Last edited:
Funny you should say that. I played squash up to the age of fifty. I was never technically very good but I loved the game and went for it hell for leather once I was out on the court. If I had two or three pints (or glasses of wine) the day before my game was definitely down. I would notice it. I did find it odd that the players seemed to go in heavily on the celebrations at that point, with a big game still to come. But we don't really know who did what, who had two or three jars on the Saturday or Sunday night, and who got completely bladdered. Anybody who did the latter, I'm absolutely sure that their body would have still been recovering from it yesterday.

100 percent mate. When you have some tangible metrics to go off like times, distance and heart rate it's obvious how detrimental it is to your performance and the impact it has on your body. Like I say I've felt great all day, drank barely anything but it has still had an effect. Those that are denying it probably don't do exercise and therefore wouldn't know any different. I'd have woke up for work today and not have felt any different myself. When I used to play football if I'd had 3 or 4 pints the night before I could feel it and I could really knock them back back then. Maybe not initially, but when that first change of pace was required I'd be hanging out my arse.

It's not just physical either; it effects sleep, recovery, mental concentration etc just to name a few. There was nothing positive to come from going out whatsoever so it staggers me it took place. Even for those that may have taken it steady it still plants a seed of doubt in your own mind that you haven't prepared properly.

It can be both. Said at the time I didn't agree with the Stones selection. Completely bizarre when he hasn't really featured recently and sticks him in for a cup final. Has a habit of strange selections, wasn't a patch on the Porto game though in that regard.

I run pretty much every day and know how much alcohol fucks up performance. After a decent drink my resting heart rate will go from low to mid 40s to almost double that the next day. They're far from negligible numbers. You don't really get any sleep even though you think you have. Next to no REM, deep sleep etc. Takes ages to get it out of your system entirely and if they did continue until midweek as has been suggested on here it's not a probability it effected performance it's a certainty. Ironically i described the way they played after the game like they were hungover in that first half- nervous and riddled with anxiety. Sounds like it could actually have been the case and we've effectively gifted those cunts a trophy.

Beyond mad. Bet we weren't on the piss in between trophies last year.

100 percent mate. When you have some tangible metrics to go off like times, distance and heart rate it's obvious how detrimental it is to your performance and the impact it has on your body. Like I say I've felt great all day, drank barely anything but it has still had an effect. Those that are denying it probably don't do exercise and therefore wouldn't know any different. I'd have woke up for work today and not have felt any different myself. When I used to play football if I'd had 3 or 4 pints the night before I could feel it and I could really knock them back back then. Maybe not initially, but when that first change of pace was required I'd be hanging out my arse.

It's not just physical either; it effects sleep, recovery, mental concentration etc just to name a few. There was nothing positive to come from going out whatsoever so it staggers me it took place. Even for those that may have taken it steady it still plants a seed of doubt in your own mind that you haven't prepared properly.

Yes I can only agree with that view. As you know I do a bit of running like yourself and even at club running level I have pretty much given up drinking due to its effect on performance and that is a world away from playing at elite level, drinking a week before a cup final, where fine margins make such a difference. Just seems nonsensical to me.

Also I am pretty sure Kyle Walker said he hardly slept the night before the West Ham game and then we hear reports celebrations went on to 5am, for some, the monday morning. Thats potentially pretty much 2 days without a good nights sleep coupled with the duration of the celebrations starting pretty much after the game.

As you say there is nothing good what could come out of it. Any celebrations should have been on hold to after the cup final.

Last edited:

Funny isn't it? We went on the piss 6 days before a final, yet a boxer abstains from 'everything' 2/3 months ahead of a big fight!

Nuff said!!!!!!

Yes I can only agree with that view. As you know I do a bit of running like yourself and even at club running level I have pretty much given up drinking, let alone playing at elite level, drinking a week before a cup final, where fine margins make such a difference. Just seems nonsensical to me.

It's not even a week though is it? Rolling out of a club Monday morning 5am?!! Somebody saying a few were drunk on Wednesday. I don't know how true that is, but Monday morning is bad enough. That's only 4 full days before the Saturday. We had travel down to the capital to consider too. Can't imagine anything constructive being done on the lead up to that game whatsoever. Rags bringing back ratboy and that dwarf at CB for the final after wrapping them in cotton wool and we're there compromising our chances instead.

Funny isn't it? We went on the piss 6 days before a final, yet a boxer abstains from 'everything' 2/3 months ahead of a big fight!

Nuff said!!!!!!
Was thinking that exact thing this afternoon pal. Trying to recall when an elite group of sportsmen got on the lash days before a significant event. It doesn't happen and it shouldn't. Like I say; if we were in the CL final next week I bet they wouldn't have been allowed a drink after West Ham as they wouldn't have dared left it to chance. That would have been almost 2 weeks ahead of the fixture, but bizarrely 5 days for the FA Cup is fine.

It's not even a week though is it? Rolling out of a club Monday morning 5am?!! Somebody saying a few were drunk on Wednesday. I don't know how true that is, but Monday morning is bad enough. That's only 4 full days before the Saturday. We had travel down to the capital to consider too. Can't imagine anything constructive being done on the lead up to that game whatsoever. Rags bringing back ratboy and that dwarf at CB for the final after wrapping them in cotton wool and we're there compromising our chances instead.

Was thinking that exact thing this afternoon pal. Trying to recall when an elite group of sportsmen got on the lash days before a significant event. It doesn't happen and it shouldn't. Like I say; if we were in the CL final next week I bet they wouldn't have been allowed a drink after West Ham as they wouldn't have dared left it to chance. That would have been almost 2 weeks ahead of the fixture, but bizarrely 5 days for the FA Cup is fine.
Bit of complacency definately.

Oh well. It’s done now. Season over and fans and players at the parade had a good time;

Don’t know about everyone else but these last 12 months or so have been absolutely exhausting as a fan. Istanbul isn’t even a year ago. What a crazy period and despite yesterday; what another great achievement this season has been.

Up the blues and here is to next season!

Have had a feeling it wouldn’t be our day ever since Coventry’s potential winner in the semi final was offside by a toenail.
Quite, we were never gonna win, establishment didn’t want it, trade off, lose cup to the rags and get off FFP charges, no other explanation for team selection and such a shite first half, just don’t get it! 45 years a blue and that was the most disappointing game I have seen,

After seeing several videos on social media today our fan base has become a bunch of fannys . City fans getting a slapping off middle aged rags all over the country ffs , City fans used to be one of the hardest in the country what the fuck happened ???
Embarrassing !

Bit of complacency definately.

Oh well. It’s done now. Season over and fans and players at the parade had a good time;

Don’t know about everyone else but these last 12 months or so have been absolutely exhausting as a fan. Istanbul isn’t even a year ago. What a crazy period and despite yesterday; what another great achievement this season has been.

Up the blues and here is to next season!
I am spent. Thank god its cricket.

United just wanted it more.

If I'm being honest, I had a bad feeling they'd beat us in the final. Not cos they're anything like as good as we are, but just because they really shouldn't have gotten past Liverpool. I still can't work out how the fuck Liverpool threw that away.

Don't start me on Coventry. United were jammy bastards this year.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.