FA Cup Final - Post Game thread

Agree with a lot of what you post, but not on this. The likelihood is if Kyle et al had the discipline to abstain from the drink an extra couple of days they'd be celebrating twice as hard as they'd have the double to look back on. I'm sorry but they're on 100s of thousands of pounds a week, it's not much to ask them to sacrifice putting their session back a bit and risking it coming on the back of a defeat.

I don't necessarily blame the players per se as it was the ones that gave them permission to get intoxicated that need to give their heads a wobble. As with any employee if you give them an inch they take a mile.

They went out on Sunday night and even if they staggered in at 5 am Monday morning they had the rest of Monday and four whole days to recover. How long does it take the average Joe to shake a hangover off? I'm an old sod so feel it more now but after a day lying about, drinking soft drinks, a bit of food I'm as right as rain the next morning. These are young, fit highly trained athletes. By Wednesday when they reported back for training they would be bang on it. Now if they carried on a few more days then yes, we have a problem.

I'd say it was more a mental switch off after the relief of winning the league. That and the ease of how we beat United twice in the league games made them go into it thinking they only had to turn up to win. When they saw Martinez and Varane at center half, after not playing for months and no Shaw they must have thought happy days. We all did. A slow start and two mistakes that led to goals did for us. It's the worst thing that can happen against a defensive low block side as we know from.past experience. With a slice more luck we could have not only equalised but won it. Haalands shot goes in instead of hitting the bar, Alvarez scores that sitter he missed and Doku would have been scoring a late winner. Add to that if we'd been given one of two decent penalty shouts we had.

No, one night on the piss six days before the final didn't cost us that game. Pep and the clubs doctors would never have sanctioned it if they even remotely thought it would.

They went out on Sunday night and even if they staggered in at 5 am Monday morning they had the rest of Monday and four whole days to recover. How long does it take the average Joe to shake a hangover off? I'm an old sod so feel it more now but after a day lying about, drinking soft drinks, a bit of food I'm as right as rain the next morning. These are young, fit highly trained athletes. By Wednesday when they reported back for training they would be bang on it. Now if they carried on a few more days then yes, we have a problem.

I'd say it was more a mental switch off after the relief of winning the league. That and the ease of how we beat United twice in the league games made them go into it thinking they only had to turn up to win. When they saw Martinez and Varane at center half, after not playing for months and no Shaw they must have thought happy days. We all did. A slow start and two mistakes that led to goals did for us. It's the worst thing that can happen against a defensive low block side as we know from.past experience. With a slice more luck we could have not only equalised but won it. Haalands shot goes in instead of hitting the bar, Alvarez scores that sitter he missed and Doku would have been scoring a late winner. Add to that if we'd been given one of two decent penalty shouts we had.

No, one night on the piss six days before the final didn't cost us that game. Pep and the clubs doctors would never have sanctioned it if they even remotely thought it would.

The general consensus is around 3 days. I only had 4 and a half pints at the final and my run was down about 10 percent the following day. I was completely sober, felt perfectly fine and that didn't effect my sleep or diet like a heavy session would. This isn't Sunday league and it's a game of fine margins with everybody looking for an an edge. We had to travel down to London on top of that which literally leaves no preparation time. These guys live their lifestyles that clean it'd probably effect them more than the average Joe too. If it wasn't detrimental to performance why aren't we seeing other clubs at it each weekend? Because it is. Ludicrous decision.

Last edited:
I noticed a couple of things pre match.
Personally I never thought for a minute they would beat us.I was cocky.
In Pizza express at 12 before the game it was 70% rag but by 2pm they had all gone and the place was 90% city.They were all excited and wanted in the ground maybe.
In the concourse it wasn’t the normal singing..it was a bit quiet unlike visits in the past and I thought it a bit strange.Other levels may have been different but it was low key especially in a game against them.
It wasn’t normal derby day nerves and I wonder if we and possibly the players were a touch expectant and they like us got a surprise with the Utd that showed up.
Just a thought.

The general consensus is around 3 days. I only had 4 and a half pints at the final and my run was down about 10 percent the following day. I was completely sober, felt perfectly fine and that didn't effect my sleep or diet like a heavy session would. This isn't Sunday league and it's a game of fine margins with everybody looking for an an edge. We had to travel down to London on top of that which literally leaves no preparation time. These guys live their lifestyles that clean it'd probably affect them more than the average Joe too. If it wasn't detrimental to performance why aren't we seeing other clubs at it each weekend? Because it is. Ludicrous decision.

Most clubs players go out on the piss on a Saturday night after a game if they don't have a midweek game.
All you amateur athletes out there comparing your recovery with a professional athlete is I'm sorry frankly ludicrous. You went for a run the day after having four and a half pints and even then you're only down 10%. The next day! Then you say the general consensus is three days. They had at least four full days to recover. They would have flown down on Friday, night in a hotel.
People are just looking for something easy to blame and "Ohhh they went for a few drinks a good four to five days before a game" is it.
I'd trust our medical team, Pep and our squad of professional players who won the treble last year and had just won a tough league over some amateur runner, sportsman or footballer on bluemoon.

I’ll always put this double, double FA Cup final defeat alongside losing to Wigan in the FA cup final, losing to United 2-3 when we were 2-0 up at half-time and would have won the title against them, and Chelsea(Porto) in the CL final. 4 matches we should have and could have won if it wasn’t for an incident leading up to 1 match, and 2 wrong team selections, and complacency.

Most clubs players go out on the piss on a Saturday night after a game if they don't have a midweek game.
All you amateur athletes out there comparing your recovery with a professional athlete is I'm sorry frankly ludicrous. You went for a run the day after having four and a half pints and even then you're only down 10%. The next day! Then you say the general consensus is three days. They had at least four full days to recover. They would have flown down on Friday, night in a hotel.
People are just looking for something easy to blame and "Ohhh they went for a few drinks a good four to five days before a game" is it.
I'd trust our medical team, Pep and our squad of professional players who won the treble last year and had just won a tough league over some amateur runner, sportsman or footballer on bluemoon.

Agree to disagree. Shouldn't have put themselves in that position for it to be questioned in the first place.

I noticed a couple of things pre match.
Personally I never thought for a minute they would beat us.I was cocky.
In Pizza express at 12 before the game it was 70% rag but by 2pm they had all gone and the place was 90% city.They were all excited and wanted in the ground maybe.
In the concourse it wasn’t the normal singing..it was a bit quiet unlike visits in the past and I thought it a bit strange.Other levels may have been different but it was low key especially in a game against them.
It wasn’t normal derby day nerves and I wonder if we and possibly the players were a touch expectant and they like us got a surprise with the Utd that showed up.
Just a thought.

Agree with this. Didn't have the same feel as last year and the atmosphere was nowhere near the same. Gundogs early goal no doubt helped though. Tried to get it going around me, but very few were joining in. Preferred last year's FA Cup final to Istanbul in terms of atmosphere to be honest. Think most of us were half-dead by kick off over there though.

I was talking to my sister - who is a nurse - about this. And she said their medical team would absolutely have things to give players to reduce any potential affects of drinking. Even something basic like IV fluids. Plus carefully calibrated nutrition over a few days. I totally agree with you, this seems like the classic case of mental fatigue. After extending yourself to the absolute limits to achieve the impossible, you fail at something basic. I feel like this happens a lot in sports!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.