FA Cup Final - Post Game thread

Both hurt for different reasons...

I never saw us retaining the Champions League this year purely down to the amount of ridiculous goals we've conceded and so it proved. 3 of the 4 goals in that tie were avoidable. At least I could take solace in those performances and know that we turned up and had Madrid playing like a side in the Premier League fighting for relegation.

The Utd game hurts because it stank of complacency and arrogance. Imagine if the roles were reversed and they were the better side and went out of the piss on the lead up to the game and how much that'd wind us up. 'Typical Rag Arrogance' etc etc. It's all they've had to play for this year and they didn't need any extra given motivation. Barring Villa away I can't recall us playing that badly, but I'd put that more down to Villa's performance than ourselves. Our antics last week were unfortunately a great leveller and they still needed the help of officials and our players not at the races physically or mentally to scrape a result. Even looking back in a few years time it'll still piss me off.
Well the 2-3 game still pisses me off too but got to move on. Annoying and I’m sure with hindsight we would perhaps have done things differently but hey ho, it’s done.

The media and just about everyone else in the country would have you believe that the biggest underdog in the history of football, Man Utd has caused the biggest upset ever seen by beating us . It's absolutely laughable, yes they've been playing shit but they possess the 2nd most expensive squad assembled behind Chelsea so should be winning virtually every game if money does buy success as we're always told
FUNNY THAT THE COST OF PLAYERS - SQUAD WASN'T MENTIONED WHEN THEY SCORED, TACKLED, SAVED WON AS IT DEFINITELY WAS FOR US FOR YEARS...OH HE'S A £70M PLAYER AND HE'S MISSED IT ETC. (sorry caps!)

The more so in that we broke a hoodoo in going to the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and beating them there, and then somehow dragged ourselves through winning a difficult semi-final against Chelsea when it was clear the entire team were walking zombies.
Such wasted effort, now in hindsight the struggle through the FA Cup Semi. The more the week goes on, the more annoyed I am becoming at the team throwing that chance away to do a double double. Why couldn't the pl celebration have waited a week until after the FA Cup, like Bayer Keverkusen did? Also we know Pep had a brain drain I mean wtf - an unfit Stones, no Doku, and being seemingly unaware of Tent Pegs false 9? The passed off factor for me is beginning to get up there with the 21 Champs League final.

Such wasted effort, now in hindsight the struggle through the FA Cup Semi. The more the week goes on, the more annoyed I am becoming at the team throwing that chance away to do a double double. Why couldn't the pl celebration have waited a week until after the FA Cup, like Bayer Keverkusen did? Also we know Pep had a brain drain I mean wtf - an unfit Stones, no Doku, and being seemingly unaware of Tent Pegs false 9? The passed off factor for me is beginning to get up there with the 21 Champs League final.

Yes it's odd. I thought I was over it within two or three hours. Just thought, fairly stoically, “Oh well, shit happens.”

Next morning, woke up and realised that I was more annoyed than I'd been the day before. And I thought, “Well actually, that shit didn't have to happen!” And so on since then. Never had that delayed reaction with a result before.
If we'd beaten a couple of Championship teams on the way and, say, a bottom-of-the-table PL team, and a League One team, that would be one thing (yes, we did meet Luton). But Jesus, we beat Newcastle, Spurs and Chelsea on the way, only to turn in that wet blanket of a performance. Why bother to do it, in that case? Just go out in the third round, and give yourselves a serious chance of not being worn out by the time you get to the business end of the Champions League (and the more I think about it, the more that Bernardo penalty looks like the gesture of a deeply tired man — mentally tired even more than physically tired).
Still pleased and amazed about us being champions. But no, still annoyed about that nothing first forty-five minutes at Wembley (and I wasn't even there, unlike the thousands who paid serious money and made the trek down and back!).

The one doesn't exclude the other.

Yes it's odd. I thought I was over it within two or three hours. Just thought, fairly stoically, “Oh well, shit happens.”

Next morning, woke up and realised that I was more annoyed than I'd been the day before. And I thought, “Well actually, that shit didn't have to happen!” And so on since then. Never had that delayed reaction with a result before.
If we'd beaten a couple of Championship teams on the way and, say, a bottom-of-the-table PL team, and a League One team, that would be one thing (yes, we did meet Luton). But Jesus, we beat Newcastle, Spurs and Chelsea on the way, only to turn in that wet blanket of a performance. Why bother to do it, in that case? Just go out in the third round, and give yourselves a serious chance of not being worn out by the time you get to the business end of the Champions League (and the more I think about it, the more that Bernardo penalty looks like the gesture of a deeply tired man — mentally tired even more than physically tired).
Still pleased and amazed about us being champions. But no, still annoyed about that nothing first forty-five minutes at Wembley (and I wasn't even there, unlike the thousands who paid serious money and made the trek down and back!).

The one doesn't exclude the other.
Absolutely spot on - and no reference there to Bernardo' pk horror.

Apart from the Dippers, Utd had easy draws, most of them at home and the semi was fixed so they would draw Coventry at Wembley, whilst we got the hard one.

I really am cross about it all, if they had turned up, played and lost then fair enough, but this defies logic. I feel sorry for the travelling fans. It reminded me very much of the cba attitude v Arse in the 2020 Covid semi.

I just don't get it, just go out early rounds like Arteta does ( and Klopp used to) in order to give PL and Champs League a fighting chance.

It will take me a while to get over this one!!

Lot of hindsight being used there. I’ve already said myself that I was surprised at the line up. But it was hardly a League Cup 2nd round type team.

He picked what he thought was the best team for the job. Turns out he was wrong. Even the best are sometimes. But it was a world away from a couple of those semi final surrenders in terms of selection.

Stones has spent half his career injured. Yet how many times has he stepped straight back in after weeks out and played a blinder?

I like Doku. But he’s hardly been a guaranteed starter when the best X1 was being picked. I’d be a rich man if I had a pound for the number of times this season I’ve heard a comment like… He’s a good impact player to bring on when the opposition are tired but he doesn’t offer enough when he starts.

Absolutely spot on - and no reference there to Bernardo' pk horror.

Apart from the Dippers, Utd had easy draws, most of them at home and the semi was fixed so they would draw Coventry at Wembley, whilst we got the hard one.

I really am cross about it all, if they had turned up, played and lost then fair enough, but this defies logic. I feel sorry for the travelling fans. It reminded me very much of the cba attitude v Arse in the 2020 Covid semi.

I just don't get it, just go out early rounds like Arteta does ( and Klopp used to) in order to give PL and Champs League a fighting chance.

It will take me a while to get over this one!!
It was a shitter no doubt. You can't win them all as they say, but to gift those urchins a cup final victory really rankles. If the result was down to poor prep, piss ups etc. then that really is pants.

Lot of hindsight being used there. I’ve already said myself that I was surprised at the line up. But it was hardly a League Cup 2nd round type team.

He picked what he thought was the best team for the job. Turns out he was wrong. Even the best are sometimes. But it was a world away from a couple of those semi final surrenders in terms of selection.

Stones has spent half his career injured. Yet how many times has he stepped straight back in after weeks out and played a blinder?

I like Doku. But he’s hardly been a guaranteed starter when the best X1 was being picked. I’d be a rich man if I had a pound for the number of times this season I’ve heard a comment like… He’s a good impact player to bring on when the opposition are tired but he doesn’t offer enough when he starts.

Agreed. Don't have too many qualms about the team selection. Only Stones I really raised my eyebrow to. Can only imagine he hasn't been fully fit recently and that's why he hasn't featured. Did seem an odd selection when we know the ferals only real chance is a quick break with the pace of the likes of Rashford and that gimp Garnacho and risking a CB that doesn't seem to be 100 percent. Doku although he's improved a lot offensively recently can still very much be a liability defensively. I partially blame him for the West Ham goal on the last day just strolling back that conceded the corner. Can probably count on one hand how many times he's played well when he's started.

Anybody that has followed this thread will be aware of my main gripe about the cup final and that's the horrific preparation. Put it this way if the Spurs game was the weekend before the West Ham game and not midweek do you think the players would be going out on the piss after it??? Absolutely no fucking chance. They'd justifiably receive widespread condemnation about it too.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.