Fabian Delph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darren Andert.. I mean Jack Wilshere?
Delph?

Verratti should be the one we spunk a huge load on if Pogba ends up at Barca/Real.
I'd rather promote Kean Bryan to backup duties if it meant getting in a special talent like Verratti rather than some overpriced and/or injuryprone English players.

Sterlling, fine, even at the crazy price, he's 20 and brings something completely new to our team and he's not always injured but he's the only English player I'd be looking at for the 1st team squad, unless you can get Stones/Barkley at a really good price (which is about as likely as Brendan Bodgers never saying 'technician' again)

Slovenia aren't an opposition to measure a player on. I'd expect England to perform well against them. In the FA Cup final Delph was on the ball a lot and got into good positions, Villa didn't make the most of those positions and Delph was as guilty as anyone for running out of ideas when he got into the final third. We've got to look beyond this "solid squad player" idea and also looking at the home grown quota as something we've got to fill anyway we can. Rightly the club have been linked to Sterling and Wilshere who are two promising young English players and worth the investment. I'd sooner see us use our academy players to fill any quota, than waste money on bang average English players from elsewhere that will cost a premium. That way we are promoting from within the club and can either a) uncover a real talent or b) increase the value of an academy player and recoup money.

I think every squad needs that player that is willing to sit on the bench every now and then and be a part of a squad. That is a certain type of mentality and one that is hard to find. I'm not suggesting that Delph would do this, but my general feeling is that those types of players will not be marquee signings, because those types of players want to start each week. I think Milner, in his time here,was a great example of this. A decent footballer that was willing to work hard, but understood where he was at. The HG part is an advantage not a necessity that I think we have to force ourselves to fill, I just believe if we are going to do that then there are some decent British players that can satisfy 2 criteria. Yes we have an academy that should soon start producing and British players now command silly fees. Fees that can be avoided by using our academy. Now that's a bit of a contradiction, I know, but my initial point was that Delph isn't a bad footballer, good enough in my option, for what I've just explained. I think there is sometimes, a bit of a mentality block around the fans when it comes to assessing decent young English talent.

17+4+4 for CL
17+8 for PL.
The PL quota would get him regular games, but the CL will be a problem if he does join us. We have no chance of exceeding 21 senior players for Europe so the calibre of the 4 HG players has to be high, or at least high enough to do a back up job to our 17 overseas players. Hart fits the bill and Clichy just about does too, and if we can land two other HG players of quality then we can safely consign Wright to the PL list only as the CL rules tell us that only two of our main squad have to be keepers. So that leaves us with the task of fill two spots we might consider to have European standards in their game. Sterling and Wilshere would, for me, fit that bill but I would also think that Delph would not unless he joins up in expectation of being included in the PL squad only and with our top brass being obsessed with European domination, there's no way that Delph could be in any part of that.

Ha ha, I'm with you Pam on this one. How have we got into this mess when we're seeming absolutely desperate for homegrown players.

I think every squad needs that player that is willing to sit on the bench every now and then and be a part of a squad. That is a certain type of mentality and one that is hard to find. I'm not suggesting that Delph would do this, but my general feeling is that those types of players will not be marquee signings, because those types of players want to start each week. I think Milner, in his time here,was a great example of this. A decent footballer that was willing to work hard, but understood where he was at. The HG part is an advantage not a necessity that I think we have to force ourselves to fill, I just believe if we are going to do that then there are some decent British players that can satisfy 2 criteria. Yes we have an academy that should soon start producing and British players now command silly fees. Fees that can be avoided by using our academy. Now that's a bit of a contradiction, I know, but my initial point was that Delph isn't a bad footballer, good enough in my option, for what I've just explained. I think there is sometimes, a bit of a mentality block around the fans when it comes to assessing decent young English talent.

That's just not true. Milner wanted game time and he worked hard and was rewarded. In the big games he regularly played. He left to get a stronger guarantee of first team football and another pay day. Delph will not come to City and watch England next summer sat at home. He will also realise there's little chance of him playing week in week out at our club. We'd be much better at signing a home grown keeper if all we want is squad filler. I don't care where the player is from, the club will decline if we buy players who can "do a job" but don't mind too much sitting on the bench. There aren't many English players that are good enough. The level of talent seems to be improving at younger age groups but currently I'd only consider Clyne, Sterling and Wilshere for City.

This. HG additions should be either ones who strengthen us (e.g. Sterling) or who have big potential (e.g. Fulham lad). Otherwise let's cover with our own lads and either develop them or sell them on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.