Fabinho

Status
Not open for further replies.
D
Sam lee and other well connected journos have stated that we aren't in for any cm

Yaya signed his contract so ended all speculation

3 players for one Position (6)

Yaya, Fernandinho, ilkay
Dont think Sam Lee or any journalists are well,connected, where were they before we bought Silva, they had no idea. Billy may well be convinced but last week showed us the journalists can be as in the dark as the rest of us. Reckon Zins info from the agents side could be more reliable and he's insisted since billy said it was off that he was being premature.

Because he has a skill set of a N8 playing slightly deeper, not pivot. Busi+Xavi, Weigl+Gundogan, I think the analogy is clear. Gundogan's best quality - the ability to progress the ball through midfield areas - would be wasted there, pivot can't run with the ball to opponent's box. There's a reason why he played in 2 possession-based teams and was never used as pivot there. Pep played him alongside Silva or KdB, he was constantly making runs into oppo's box and acted mostly as AM. Also showed that he's a fine goalscorer.
I'll just quote my earlier post on differences between pivot and deep-lying N8: "one of them predominantly sits in front of the defence, acts like a wavebreaker and distributes the ball to beat the first layer of press, mostly using simple, low-risk passes. Sometimes he can act as one of CBs. The other one helps to bring the ball further and participates in attacking moves much more, presses higher up the pitch, though he can occasionally drop as deep as pivot to help with the build-up. Obviously, the qualities needed for these two types of players differ a lot."

I didn't watch Bayern a lot this season, but I don't trust Whoscored. I'm pretty sure Thiago didn't play a game in this position (sole DM pivot), he doesn't fit it. Ask @Maldeika.

He has played a couple of matches as DM (pivot) - mainly at the beginning of the season when Alonso did not play - or sometimes when Alonso got substituted. The problem is not him on that position but that we really lack the creative 8 whenever he plays somewhere else. I do not like him as a 10 either as we usually have so much ball possession that you need movement on this position more than you need the passer - and despite Ancelotti going for this system in the big matches (more to get Alonso in the squad) the result weren't so great either.

Thiago can play the position - I have seen Gündogan playing well there, too. But I like some more grid on this position and whereas it might be okay against a lot of teams there is teams in which I like the more sweeper like pivot.

Both Thiago and Gündogan are great 8s with both a sense for defense and for offense - and with creativity. That is not that often - not at that level. A Kroos e.g. (and I have watched him for years) might be the absolute world class passer - but he lacks the defensive sense and lacks being dynamic. Both things Thiago and Gündogan might not have in abundance - but enough for an 8 to be very useful. I can see them as a double 8 or double 6 in some systems or against some opponents but it all depends on the other partners in the mix, too.

I haven't read more than the post I just quoted (got an alert because of my name) - but I think you actually talk about a KDB-Silva-Gündogan midfield. It for sure would work fine against some opponents - especially if the fullbacks are used inverted. Would need workrate from the other two, too - but I think both KDB and Silva have learned to play deeper this season, too. But as I said before, against some opponents I would prefer a more defensive 6.

He has played a couple of matches as DM (pivot) - mainly at the beginning of the season when Alonso did not play - or sometimes when Alonso got substituted. The problem is not him on that position but that we really lack the creative 8 whenever he plays somewhere else. I do not like him as a 10 either as we usually have so much ball possession that you need movement on this position more than you need the passer - and despite Ancelotti going for this system in the big matches (more to get Alonso in the squad) the result weren't so great either.

Thiago can play the position - I have seen Gündogan playing well there, too. But I like some more grid on this position and whereas it might be okay against a lot of teams there is teams in which I like the more sweeper like pivot.

Both Thiago and Gündogan are great 8s with both a sense for defense and for offense - and with creativity. That is not that often - not at that level. A Kroos e.g. (and I have watched him for years) might be the absolute world class passer - but he lacks the defensive sense and lacks being dynamic. Both things Thiago and Gündogan might not have in abundance - but enough for an 8 to be very useful. I can see them as a double 8 or double 6 in some systems or against some opponents but it all depends on the other partners in the mix, too.

I haven't read more than the post I just quoted (got an alert because of my name) - but I think you actually talk about a KDB-Silva-Gündogan midfield. It for sure would work fine against some opponents - especially if the fullbacks are used inverted. Would need workrate from the other two, too - but I think both KDB and Silva have learned to play deeper this season, too. But as I said before, against some opponents I would prefer a more defensive 6.

Kdb, silva and gundogan midfield looks good on paper. Agaisnt powerful teams like Chelsea and spurs we may struggle a bit. I think this summer priority is to get the defence sorted out, we will be a much better team with our fullbacks and new keeper. A centre back should be next on the list. Defensive midfield could wait until next season if there's no one available, although I would be a lot more confident of sweeping up the trophies if we could pull Fabinho off. Toure and Fernandinho will both leave next season I should think, so that frees two spaces up in midfield.

The sole pivot or 'Regista' as is characteristic in Pep's systems is an endangered species. It's little wonder we're all struggling to find too many to purchase.

After Alonso's retirement, actually feel that Busquets might be the only current WC one. Maybe Weigl, but not particularly convinced. Yaya's done it to some extent past 2 seasons.

Struggle to find anybody else tbh.

Pep will need to either improve Yaya in being a Regista, or if we're sure to get Fabinho, teach him from scratch.

Kdb, silva and gundogan midfield looks good on paper. Agaisnt powerful teams like Chelsea and spurs we may struggle a bit. I think this summer priority is to get the defence sorted out, we will be a much better team with our fullbacks and new keeper. A centre back should be next on the list. Defensive midfield could wait until next season if there's no one available, although I would be a lot more confident of sweeping up the trophies if we could pull Fabinho off. Toure and Fernandinho will both leave next season I should think, so that frees two spaces up in midfield.

agreed. against the team with similar technically good midfield but with physical, City may struggle.
just like pep said, the referee is different here. physical battle is always allow in this league.
there's no other 6 foot midfielder in the team, except aging Yaya. he's not gonna play 3 times per week.
hope pep realize this, and get another technically decent DM/pivot/regista with good physical/height.

Cheers, insightful reply as usual.
The sole pivot or 'Regista' as is characteristic in Pep's systems is an endangered species. It's little wonder we're all struggling to find too many to purchase.

After Alonso's retirement, actually feel that Busquets might be the only current WC one. Maybe Weigl, but not particularly convinced. Yaya's done it to some extent past 2 seasons.

Struggle to find anybody else tbh.
M.Llorente is another upcoming name, will probably play for Madrid next season.
Pep will need to either improve Yaya in being a Regista, or if we're sure to get Fabinho, teach him from scratch.
Agree 100%. Even if we get Fabinho, he'll need to learn a lot, his suitability in far from guaranteed. The upside of this deal (if it happens) is that he can also be an almost ideal 'inverted' versatile fullback, in the mould of Lahm, Alaba, Henrichs.

Agree 100%. Even if we get Fabinho, he'll need to learn a lot, his suitability in far from guaranteed. The upside of this deal (if it happens) is that he can also be an almost ideal 'inverted' versatile fullback, in the mould of Lahm, Alaba, Henrichs.

Yeah I too see him in that inverted role if he's to come.
Till now I haven't seen him display 'regista'-like qualities so to speak from whatever little I've watched of him >_>.

Any news on Fabinho?
It's all very quiet, after BS said he wasn't coming to England there's been almost nowt on him going anywhere (apart from the usual rag bull shit).

I wonder if similar to the Mbappe suggestions that they've both agreed to stay at Monoco for another season and have pre-agreements for the following season elsewhere?

I'm just thinking with 4/5 players seemingly leaving Monaco would like to keep some sort of stability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.