Fabinho

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he was signed as a right back, he'd be deemed a good purchase for the position.

If he was signed as a midfielder, he'd be deem a good purchase for the position.

He's not a Milner, or to a lesser extent a Fernandinho, in that he can fill in at other positions. He can seamlessly play either.

So for that, potentially saving money on a second separate right back, £35m for more than decent cover in two problem positions would be good money.

Monaco have had a great season, their players are in demand. They were never going to sell for less than £30m in today's market. I'd say it's a fair price for both clubs, if true.
Yes. I don't particularly disagree that about 30 million would have been their asking price. Yes and 35 million may very well be fair. But folks calling it "cheap" or a "bargain" are stretching the truth. He'll be the most expensive DM transfer at 35 million. That can't be deemed cheap or a bargain. At least in my opinion.

If he was signed as a right back, he'd be deemed a good purchase for the position.

If he was signed as a midfielder, he'd be deem a good purchase for the position.

He's not a Milner, or to a lesser extent a Fernandinho, in that he can fill in at other positions. He can seamlessly play either.

So for that, potentially saving money on a second separate right back, £35m for more than decent cover in two problem positions would be good money.

That's pretty much how I see it too.

Yes. I don't particularly disagree that about 30 million would have been their asking price. Yes and 35 million may very well be fair. But folks calling it "cheap" or a "bargain" are stretching the truth. He'll be the most expensive DM transfer at 35 million. That can't be deemed cheap or a bargain. At least in my opinion.

How expensive he is compared to a couple of other signing is the stupidest way possible to decide his value.

It's about how much he adds. How good he is. What he brings.

If someone signs Mbappé for £100m this summer and he goes on to score 500 goals for them in a 15 year career and wins 20 trophies, he will have been one of the biggest bargains in history.

It's about what you are getting pound for pound.

If a team is one right back away from being the best team in the world, than spending £60m on that right back and becoming the best team in the world would be a bargain.

Players values should never be decided by how much another player in that position cost, it should be about how much you gain for that spend, and fixing the defensive midfield position for 5-10 years, as well as cover for right back with an excellent player who has the potential to definitely make the small step up to world class is a bargain for £35m in a world where £30m will very rapidly become a medium sized transfer.

Last edited:
35 million for a DM is not a bargain. Its not cheap. Its expensive. He might turn out to be worth the price, but its not a bargain. At that price he'd have to finish out a top 5 DM over the next few years.

If he does, he'd have been worth the price. But its not a bargain by any stretch. And we should stop pretending it is.

35 million pounds will be the record DM transfer. So its not a bargain and probably will never be. But he could justify it by becoming one of the best.

Why so hung up about transfers fees? By all accounts he is an excellent right back as well as midfielder. Compute that.

I think what he means by that is that if he moved up and started scoring goals and getting assists which he wouldn't be doing in the DM spot then he'd be perfectly fine, because a DM would just mostly be shuffling the ball from side-to-side and playing out from the back. Not to diminish that role necessarily, but a person getting goals and assists is almost always worth more than any other position. I'm guessing this is what he means...
If we're buying him to sit in front of the back four and shift the ball from side-to-side, we might as well just put Fernando in the team and save the money. The whole point of spending £35m on a player in this position is that he can cover the defence, but also dictate play from deep. For that sort of money, I'd be hoping for more of an Alonso rather than a De Jong, and from the limited amount I've seen, this guy seems like he could be that player.

If we're buying him to sit in front of the back four and shift the ball from side-to-side, we might as well just put Fernando in the team and save the money. The whole point of spending £35m on a player in this position is that he can cover the defence, but also dictate play from deep. For that sort of money, I'd be hoping for more of an Alonso rather than a De Jong, and from the limited amount I've seen, this guy seems like he could be that player.
Except Fernando can't shift the ball effectively from side-to-side or play out from the back. I kind of meant to subsume playing deep in the playing out from the back but I know that isnt clear.

I'm not trying to discredit the roll of a CDM here, I understand it's hard to be very good in that role, there aren't many world class players in these position. But, players who score goals and get assists are ALWAYS worth more money in football, that's just how it is. That's why Mbappe is worth so much right now. It's simply my observation for how much players are worth in certain positions, whether that's right or not is not up to me to say.

Also, I haven't seen Fabinho a whole lot this season, but from what I have seen he seems to be more of a box-to-box player and likely thrives more in a midfield 2, or as the withdrawn 8 in a midfield 3, I don't know if the pivot role suits him.

It's kind of like Gundogan, you can probably play him in the pivot role and he'd be fine, but he always looked better to be in either a midfield 2 or withdrawn 8 in a midfield 3.

How expensive he is compared to a couple of other signing is the stupidest way possible to decide his value.
I think you'd find that even you disagree with yourself on this point. So I wouldn't belabor it.

It's about how much he adds. How good he is. What he brings.
Sure. If you wanna believe that, I won't stop you.

If someone signs Mbappé for £100m this summer and he goes on to score 500 goals for them in a 15 year career and wins 20 trophies, he will have been one of the biggest bargains in history.
Technically, he still wouldn't be one of the biggest bargains. He'll have been worth his price tag. Messi was a bargain, Kompany was a Bargain.

World record breaking buys are at best worth their price. You thought they'll be great, and they didn't disappoint. A bargain is a player you buy for the general price of a good player then turned out great. Ngolo Kante was a bargain for Leicester, worth his price for Chelsea. To use an appropriate example.

It's about what you are getting pound for pound.
If a team is one right back away from being the best team in the world, than spending £60m on that right back and becoming the best team in the world would be a bargain.
NOPE! It would have been worth it. But still not a bargain.

Players values should never be decided by how much another player in that position cost, it should be about how much you gain for that spend, and fixing the defensive midfield position for 5-10 years, as well as cover for right back with an excellent player who has the potential to definitely make the small step up to world class is a bargain for £35m in a world where £30m will very rapidly become a medium sized transfer.
This is laughable. In that case 500 million for a DM will be a bargain. So long as we win many trophies after purchasing him. Seriously Dona stop with the silliness. I don't have the energy to explain what you already know.

Last edited:
Fabinho literally translates as 'fabulous boy' - FACT.

"Inho" = little.
Fernando + inho = little Fernando.
Fabinho = little Fabio.
Its a cultural thing; we call the kids "inho"(boy) and "inha"(girl).
Sometimes this goes even when you're adult.
Of course is weird when the guy is 1.90mts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.