Favourite curry

I understand why everyone does the curry mile but it can all be a little similar. It's less 'toned down' on Stockport Road in Longsight. As a veggie of 30 years standing, I cook my own curries, pakoras and rice. However, I go to Longsight for for my samosa [Nafees]. Sweets and savouries from Delhi Sweet Centre in Rusholme [Uncle Iqbal is the Godfather of Curry Mile chefs]. Last night I went to Kebabish on the A6 as the staff liek it. They do giant woks of chicken and meat [generally tandoori] if you like that sort of thing, with fresh naan or chapatis. I just had paneer. Similarly, Lahori in Rusholme is more street-food like and what Asians want. Oh my, do Asians love an all-you-eat buffet. Personally, I loathe them with a passion.

Overall, I always pity people who like curry but are not from Asian backgrounds as they usually miss out on the many amazing side dishes and snacks but rather focus on a main meal. Even then, they often neglect having a veggie dish as an accompaniment but which is traditionally always served. In fact, Dahl is a generally revered dish amongst event he most ardent meat eaters a it gives balance and taste. Yet many just turn them nose up at it. Shame. All you 'Meat Bhuna and Rice' types are missing out.

If you haven't had chana halwa with puri for breakfast then, my friends, you ain't lived. A fried egg on top is highly recommended.

My home made dansak, chicken prawn or veg. Loads if lentils gives it a lot of body, unlike some of the gravy type dishes you get from some curry houses.

I used to go for the hottest thing on the menu when I was in my twenties, Tindaloo or Phal . When we used to go out in a group 2 or 3 of us would try the hottest ones and the others something milder. One guy who was extremely gobby when he was drunk used to order Chicken Madras every time . One night he was really loud and the chef must have decided to teach him a lesson because after the first mouthful of Madras it was like he'd drunk a bottle of the world's hottest chilli sauce mixed with some Chernobyl Reactor coolant. He went red , eyes watering couldn't breathe hardly let alone talk for about an hour. He was drinking every yogurt/milk/sauce he could get his hands on. We all tried it and it was like 50 times hotter than our Phal/Tindaloo's but we only took a small bit not a huge mouthful. So funny though and when we asked the waiter what it was, he just winked and laughed.

Now for that reason I'm more sensible and have a Madras or at most a Vindaloo.

My home made dansak, chicken prawn or veg. Loads if lentils gives it a lot of body, unlike some of the gravy type dishes you get from some curry houses.
i got into making my own and TBH the end result was not far off what you would buy from a decent takeaway,however after buying the spices chicken and all the other stuff its not much cheaper than just buying a madras or bhuna from the local takeaway,i make my own rice now to keep the cost down

what makes me laugh if you look on trip advisor at resorts like puerto del carmen and the like , the top places are all you can eat chinese and curry houses , we hve the local cuisine and its brilliant and wont give you illness

we are looking to branch out and try new things , must admit we get nan and chapatis normally than rice , when we have kids its normally itlian in the uk as they havent got the palate for spice yet ,

so my leftover turkey curry in a few days will taste like chip shop curry , so they can eat it

and if you have never had bulls bollocks in spain or chicken feet in the very chinese places in towqn , you need to try them

i got into making my own and TBH the end result was not far off what you would buy from a decent takeaway,however after buying the spices chicken and all the other stuff its not much cheaper than just buying a madras or bhuna from the local takeaway,i make my own rice now to keep the cost down
It's the satisfaction of making my own for me and I do a big batch to freeze a few portions, once you've got the spices they pay for themselves and store well for ages. Spot on about the rice, you can buy enough for a week from any supermarket for the price of a pilau etc. chuck a tin of coconut milk instead of water brings it to a new level.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.