Fernando Torres [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's still a very specualtive situation, subject to many variables.

1. Would Mancini sign both Balotelli and Torres if both Inter and Liverpool were willing sellers? As far as FT is concerned, there has never been a better time to be in a strong position when negotiating with the Anfield club. There has been specualtion last week that they are 'interested' in signing England international Wayne Bridge. Clearly for us if the pursuit of the Spaniard is 100% genuine, Liverpool will doubtless look to augment their squad with one or two of our squad. Simultaneously, it gives us a tremendous opportunity to scale down the current squad and reducing the cash element.

2. I recall his negative comments about us last year when he was linked to a move away from Anfield. I'm not sure he would choose us if Chelsea maintained their interest. They too would be in a position to offer a mixture of cash and player. They might even contemplate a Torrres vs Drogba + cash deal that would appeal in the short term to Liverpool whilst the club is going through its liquidity crisis whilst Gillett and Hicks remain owners.

3. His injury proneness. I 'm not certain at all how likely it is that he has picked up a 'Michael Owen type injury' that will recur with ever increasing frequency, so that he eventtually becomes another, more expensive, version of Santa Cruz. Several posters have indicated their concerns about his fitness record. Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure that if a bid was made and accepted, followed by the agreement of personal terms, the medical would be of profound importance for risk assessment thus avoiding the prospect of us doing what Real Madrid did when signing Jonathan Woodgate.

As for the player himself, I regard him as a player of real quality with many good aspects to his game, especially his pace, ball control and off the ball movement. If he did arrive, and it is still a big if, he would get first class service from Silva, Milner, Johnson, Kolarov and co and he career would prosper. Of that I am sure.

Pam said:
There's still the issue of giving the dippers dosh to spend. Benetez could usually be relied on buy crap. Hodgson is a different proposition. £50m plus in his hands is not osmthing I care to see.

I think he will leave anyway, so the dippers are going to get the dosh from someone.

Personally, I just worry about his injury record and him being a high-risk investment. We'll need to put him through a much more stringent medical than we did for Santa Cruz.

justalittlemoreeffortade said:
sam221985 said:
Won't get all the transfer fee. Torres and Liverpool aren't just parting ways for footballing reasons.

Surely we are also rapidly gaining on the point in our history when we stop worrying about what other clubs have or want because we understand the strength that we have.

I hope that's true but I fear we are getting ahead of ourselves a bit. I have already seen many posters who think we should win the PL this season and that top 4 is a done deal.

Having seen the last 2 games (albeit without the A team playing) it brings me down to earth a bit.

Liverpool will be competiting with us this season, I am sure.

Chippy_boy said:
justalittlemoreeffortade said:
Surely we are also rapidly gaining on the point in our history when we stop worrying about what other clubs have or want because we understand the strength that we have.

I hope that's true but I fear we are getting ahead of ourselves a bit. I have already seen many posters who think we should win the PL this season and that top 4 is a done deal.

Having seen the last 2 games (albeit without the A team playing) it brings me down to earth a bit.

Liverpool will be competiting with us this season, I am sure.

Shouldn't be too concerned at what we have all witnessed in the last two games. They have been used as a taster for the kids, who I think fly back today. The next two games should give us some indication as to where the first team squad is up to as far as preparation for the big KO.

I do agree with you that Liverpool's challenge will be alot more serious under Woy, and they will be serious top 4 contenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.