Fernando vs Garcia

Mister Appointment said:
chris85mcfc said:
FantasyIreland said:
I don't really go with this best 11 scenario,so,imo,depending on the opposition......he might do.

He needs to learn to defend on the front foot

At times against Everton he was 2 or 3 yards ahead of Demichelis and Mangala, and Toure was urging him to push up alongside him

The reason Fernandinho is so vital to the way we play is that he can defend on the front foot, which is the way Pellegrini likes to play

Again he isn't Fernandinho and his job isn't the same as Fernandinho's. He plays a very different role, one which effectively is to stand two or three yards in front of Mangala and Demi and protect them. I'm sure Yaya urged him forward many times, but it's those movements into the centre of the park and further forward which leave him more exposed than Fernandinho because Fernando's slower.

Also it's just so early in his City career - it's a bit like the criticism of Mangala - i find it both gratuitous and a little pointless.

Well fuck me mate theres no point in having a forum if we can't even discuss a players progress

I know what his game is, my point is that i don't think he suits the way we play. All of our defenders defend on the front foot, one of the reasons Nastasic struggled at the start of last season, and can't get in the team now

I'm not saying he's garbage or doesn't warrant a place in the team/squad, just that if he is playing in a 2 man midfield then he has to play in a 2 man midfield, and not sit 10 yars behind Yaya

The fact Yaya was urging him forward is telling me someone is getting their wires crossed, either Fernando or Yaya

I very very much doubt that Pellegrini has asked Fernando to defend so deeply, its goes against everything he has been successful in employing

chris85mcfc said:
Well fuck me mate theres no point in having a forum if we can't even discuss a players progress

It's not really a discussion when you pitch up with "doesn't get within a million miles of the first team when everyone's fit" or words to that effect.

I know what his game is, my point is that i don't think he suits the way we play. All of our defenders defend on the front foot, one of the reasons Nastasic struggled at the start of last season, and can't get in the team now

I'm not saying he's garbage or doesn't warrant a place in the team/squad, just that if he is playing in a 2 man midfield then he has to play in a 2 man midfield, and not sit 10 yars behind Yaya

The fact Yaya was urging him forward is telling me someone is getting their wires crossed, either Fernando or Yaya

I very very much doubt that Pellegrini has asked Fernando to defend so deeply, its goes against everything he has been successful in employing

I disagree, he's there to cover the defence ergo he has no need to be sat on the half way line where two passes can bypass him and leave the opposition on top of our back four. Especially in a midfield two.

As for being upset about people censoring discussion, nobody's doing that. However if you pitch up with your initial post "doesn't get near the first XI blah blah" then you can expect to be pulled on it when a player has only been at the club a short time. Also, not to pick holes in your argument for the sake of it, but one injury to Yaya or Fernandinho and Fernando becomes part of our best XI, so he's not a million miles away from anything, especially the first team and our best XI.

Mister Appointment said:
chris85mcfc said:

It's not really a discussion when you pitch up with "doesn't get within a million miles of the first team when everyone's fit" or words to that effect.

I disagree, he's there to cover the defence ergo he has no need to be sat on the half way line where two passes can bypass him and leave the opposition on top of our back four. Especially in a midfield two.

As for being upset about people censoring discussion, nobody's doing that. However if you pitch up with your initial post "doesn't get near the first XI blah blah" then you can expect to be pulled on it when a player has only been at the club a short time. Also, not to pick holes in your argument for the sake of it, but one injury to Yaya or Fernandinho and Fernando becomes part of our best XI, so he's not a million miles away from anything, especially the first team and our best XI.

Perhaps someone should have told the captain that before kick off on Saturday

I'm sure he will come good and end up being a decent squad member for the next couple of years, but he doesn't make us look any more solid defensively from what ive seen so far

chris85mcfc said:
Mister Appointment said:
chris85mcfc said:

Perhaps someone should have told the captain that before kick off on Saturday

I'm sure he will come good and end up being a decent squad member for the next couple of years, but he doesn't make us look any more solid defensively from what ive seen so far

I agree that defending on the front foot needs work. I also reckon he could do with shaving a half-second or two off his time on the ball when he receives a pass. But these things should work themselves out with time in the squad and league.

FantasyIreland said:
I'm not sure how anyone can see him as anything but a Garcia upgrade.

I Agree. He looked phenomenal in his first couple of matches, better performances than Garcia managed at any point whilst as City. Was disappointed with a few performances after his injury but he seems to be getting back in to the groove now and improving with every match. He's no Fernandinho but why are people expecting him to be? I have no problem with having a midfielder whose primary role is just sitting in and helping the defence out, it gives the team more balance than every fucker constantly trying to "defend on the front foot." We can't always win the ball back on the half way line and sometimes (IMO) our rabid obsession with doing that can be a weakness.

FantasyIreland said:
I agree,he neither has the awareness or instincts of Dinho,but few do......however,he is very much a destroyer and a player who will be very useful when the situation calls for him.

I think people are being very harsh by judging his synchronicity with his team mates at such an early stage of his City career,when he fully adjusts to their style and movement i'm sure we will see a very effective player indeed.

Certainly not at the moment, in my opinion.

Fernando may be an improvement over Garcia when he first joined but not the Garcia that left.

Lancet Fluke said:
FantasyIreland said:

I Agree. He looked phenomenal in his first couple of matches, better performances than Garcia managed at any point whilst as City. Was disappointed with a few performances after his injury but he seems to be getting back in to the groove now and improving with every match. He's no Fernandinho but why are people expecting him to be? I have no problem with having a midfielder whose primary role is just sitting in and helping the defence out, it gives the team more balance than every fucker constantly trying to "defend on the front foot." We can't always win the ball back on the half way line and sometimes (IMO) our rabid obsession with doing that can be a weakness.

He'd be a hell of a bargain if he was another Dinho given that he cost about half what Dinho did.

To the thread title ... no contest. Don't remember Garcia making one single block akin to Fernando's efforts on Sat.

This is a baseless comparisons on few grounds
First of all people are comparing the best of javi time with Fernando intials months ,jabi became reliable after more than a season and fernado just been here for few months

Secondly its a cliche that foreign players need time to settle in England ,its not easy and premier league is filled with players who had a bad start or bad season but came good eventually

And lastly even after all those reasons he is still performing very well and will only get better

And please stop jumping the gun with players and back them in all situations

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.