First City Goal You Saw Live

My very first match, 29 April 1959 (last match of the season) and City had to beat Leicester at Maine Road to stay in the 1st Div. A sign of things to come during my life as a Blue.

City went 0-1 down (no surprise there ! ) but came roaring back to win 3-1. Joe Hayes scored the equaliser - my very first City goal and a game I'll never forget. Billy McAdams & Ray Sambrook scored the others and from that night onwards I was hooked.
Joe Hayes had a lot to answer for !

Ireland vs Sunderland, missed the celebration. Seen it on the back page the next day and thought when tf did that happen?

Graham Baker in the league match against Coventry in 82. We were rubbish in the first half even though we went in level at half time. Second half was much better winning 3-2, know Caton scored the second, can’t remember who got the third. It was a long time ago !

Last edited:
Niall Quinn when we drew 3-3 with Oldham at Maine Road. All 6 goals in the first half, Norman Wisdom entertained at half time...I thought it was Peter Reid

Alex Harley against Spurs towards the end of the 1962-63 season. The final score was 1-0.

An interesting team in what proved to be a relegation season with George Hannah, Joe Hayes, Bill Leivers, Alan Oakes, David Wagstaffe, Matt Gray, Bobby Kennedy, Cliff Sear, Harry Dowd, and Peter Dobing also playing.

https://bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/history/Matches/Match.aspx?id=2477

Spurs were a top team then and had won the League two years before and the FA Cup twice in a row.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.