Florida, Disney, Universal etc

mcfclovin88 said:
I went in the summer of 2009 and I am still cooling down, it was so fucking humid. I had a really good time though.

For anyone who has been in winter time, what's it like holiday maker wise?

Same as rest of the year but the weather is cooler and not humid at all

Best time of year for FL is March-April-May. Best weather by far, but Americans also know this!

If you do go, make some time for a trip to the Space Coast/Merritt Island/Cocoa Beach. It is a quick hours drive down the Tollway. The beach is beautiful, it is more "old Florida" if getting more commercialized than ever. Cape Canaveral is a great day out IF your kids have any interest. If not, spend the day at the beach! I run into Ron Jon Surf Shop t-shirts all over the world from people who went to Disney, but took time to go to one of the nicest stretches of beach in that area of FL.

If you can afford it, find the BEST PACKAGE DEAL you can to stay on the Disney property. If you have a big family and that gets too expensive, a VRBO deal may be your best bet, but you will need transport to Disney.

Good luck and hope you can get the family over here. It will be a great experience for your kids and they will talk about it forever. Spend an extra quid and it will come back to you many times over, year after year.

You need to watch out for spring break in early March - prices go through the roof and there are more people visiting.

I was just at Universal - $160 for a day pass (2 parks) then you can but the express pass for an extra $100. I didn't and was glad because the queues weren't bad at all - 10-20 mins. You can buy the express inside for the same price so my tip would be don't get it at the gate, see what it's like once you're in.

Hotels on International Drive run shuttles to the theme parks every morning and evening. Ohterwise it's $15-$25 for a taxi one way.
I stayed at Double Tree at Sea World. I paid about $110 per night for a 2 room with 2 queen beds.

Go on the Harry Potter ride - it's superb.

Don't stay on International drive. Its horrible. Rent a villa and get a motor. Everywhere is within 20 mins and then cape canaveral is an hour. I Drive also has a load if building work going on at the minute. I was there in feb and its an eyesore.

If is your fist time then prepare yourself for early starts and long days as you try and fit everything in. I first went 17 years ago and been most years since. Mostly go for the golf now but this year we took our daughter (3) and we went back to trying to do everything!!

Worth it though!

bluesmarty said:
Anyone been, prefer a hotel on International drive or one of the on site Disney hotels? Trying to price up a holiday there in the next couple of years.

Suppose it depends which parks you want to do?

we have been twice once stayed at a Disney Hotel and once stayed at a Villa that was quality and i would recommend doing that, we got 5 bedrooms own pool outdoor BBQ, games room and play stations in the kids rooms. It was huge and cheaper than staying in the hotel
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.orlando4villas.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.orlando4villas.com</a>

weve been 3 times when the kids were smaller. Went with another family each time, and all had the time of our lives.
We rented a villa in Kissimee twice, and stayed in a hotel just off I drive the once - and for me the villa was far better. They are all huge and really well equipped, and it was more chilled out. I drive is a bit run down in places - not that youd see that if in a decent hotel
Hiring and driving an 8 seater was part of the fun and youre in total control. Although I think all the hotels run shuttle busses to the parks.
All of which are brilliant - Seaworld stands out for the animals, Universal for the rides but Busch Gardens, an hours drive away in Tampa was the best by a mile for us.
Get up and out early, and prepare to get hot, tired and skint.
Im jealous now Im thinking about it. Its an amazing experience for all.
And the Harry Potter ride is superb, but so is the Hulk, Kracken and the mad one at Busch that stops you hanging over a vertical drop.

Paulpowersleftfoot said:
mcfclovin88 said:
I went in the summer of 2009 and I am still cooling down, it was so fucking humid. I had a really good time though.

For anyone who has been in winter time, what's it like holiday maker wise?

Same as rest of the year but the weather is cooler and not humid at all

Cheers pal, I think if I go again it will be in the winter.

@roman totale, honestly, I have been to the US only twice, but each time I have spoken to an American they have been really friendly.

mcfclovin88 said:
@roman totale, honestly, I have been to the US only twice, but each time I have spoken to an American they have been really friendly.

I've been living here for about 12 years, including 4-5 years in South Florida when we used to get up to Orlando all the time. Most Americans are perfectly decent people who know how to behave in public. They might get a bit loud and giddy every now and then, but you won't find them pissed up and effin' and jeffin' in front of your kids

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.