Football fan or City fan

My take on this is best summed up by what I posted a couple of years ago when I picked up on similar points made by 'Newman Noggs' in another thread, as follows (and apologies if I bang on about it!):

"I have, in the past, enjoyed many great English club sides over the years and, indeed, supported them when reaching European finals and so on.

From first being taken to Maine Road I've seen the Tottenham 'double' side of the early 60s; the great Liverpool teams built by Paisley and Dalglish; that fabulous football played by Nottingham Forest under Clough; the amazing team Wenger built around Thierry Henry at Arsenal; and, credit where it's due, even United have played some good attacking footy down the years. And I've enjoyed the quality of the football that each of these great sides have served up.

I was always a believer (especially having witnessed the title being won by 10 different clubs between 1959 and 1971) that it is 'good for the game' that trophies and success are spread around and so on.

But now let me say two things..

First, I have never seen football played to such a level by any English side as with the City squad in recent years under Pep Guardiola. Never.

The technical skill and physical output of each individual player has been amazing to witness. Put them together as a squad and the sum of their parts makes them even greater still.

This football we are privileged to witness each week from Guardiola and his players is lightyears ahead of anything any other English club has produced.

Second, given the way that the sports media whores linked to the original 'Sky Big 4' have behaved towards City since the arrival of Sheik Mansour, never giving us credit for what our club has achieved and continues to achieve on and off the field; and given the way those self-entitled moaners at United, Liverpool and Arsenal have behaved towards City too (from letters to UEFA and the Premier League, bus wrecking, griping away at every opportunity from FFP to 'financial doping' to Covid/'lack of injuries' and so on); then given all that garbage, I say "f**k 'em", I want us to win everything, again and again and again. And then win it all again for good measure.

And let them all, media and the other clubs, cry in their beer about it because their whingeing is, has been and always will be simple jealousy and self-entitlement."
My thought exactly. Great post John.

I used to be a football fan. Then Pep took over and the only football I can now watch for 90+ minutes is a city game without falling asleep. Has Pep ruined football or was it always shit?
Try and catch some of the reruns The Big Match from the 1970s that are shown on ITV4 (is it?). It's not really fair to judge the football from that era against what we see these days (and I'm not including the 115 charges, oil money, FFP cheating mercenaries here). But much of the football back then looks mediocre in comparison to now.

My take on this is best summed up by what I posted a couple of years ago when I picked up on similar points made by 'Newman Noggs' in another thread, as follows (and apologies if I bang on about it!):

"I have, in the past, enjoyed many great English club sides over the years and, indeed, supported them when reaching European finals and so on.

From first being taken to Maine Road I've seen the Tottenham 'double' side of the early 60s; the great Liverpool teams built by Paisley and Dalglish; that fabulous football played by Nottingham Forest under Clough; the amazing team Wenger built around Thierry Henry at Arsenal; and, credit where it's due, even United have played some good attacking footy down the years. And I've enjoyed the quality of the football that each of these great sides have served up.

I was always a believer (especially having witnessed the title being won by 10 different clubs between 1959 and 1971) that it is 'good for the game' that trophies and success are spread around and so on.

But now let me say two things..

First, I have never seen football played to such a level by any English side as with the City squad in recent years under Pep Guardiola. Never.

The technical skill and physical output of each individual player has been amazing to witness. Put them together as a squad and the sum of their parts makes them even greater still.

This football we are privileged to witness each week from Guardiola and his players is lightyears ahead of anything any other English club has produced.

Second, given the way that the sports media whores linked to the original 'Sky Big 4' have behaved towards City since the arrival of Sheik Mansour, never giving us credit for what our club has achieved and continues to achieve on and off the field; and given the way those self-entitled moaners at United, Liverpool and Arsenal have behaved towards City too (from letters to UEFA and the Premier League, bus wrecking, griping away at every opportunity from FFP to 'financial doping' to Covid/'lack of injuries' and so on); then given all that garbage, I say "f**k 'em", I want us to win everything, again and again and again. And then win it all again for good measure.

And let them all, media and the other clubs, cry in their beer about it because their whingeing is, has been and always will be simple jealousy and self-entitlement."
Great Post. Should have more likes.

It can feel like watching another sport dropping down a division or two. Pep has spoiled us. Spare a thought for the young matchgoing kids who will hear about Pep-ball and the City way for the rest of their lives when managers don't meet these heights.

City first and last for me,always has been,always will.
Never been interested in the national team,i knew we're on an international break in the prem,but.honestly,i didn't even know we played the Ukraine till this morning.
When i was younger i would watch most games but now and the last 10-15 years,it is just City unless its a big game that involves us indirectly.
It sometimes worries me meeting people travelling and talking about football,apart from the rags ,arse,liverpool,I couldn't name the team of most other clubs,it would.make me look like a dick and not very knowledgeable etc

Always City for me. I used to watch as many games as I could over the weekend but since VAR came in I struggle to have any interest in games, I only watch City as I support the team. With VAR stripping the emotion from the game it's half the sport it was and I've got better things to do with my time now.

Always been a City fan but I do like other football as well.
Lived most of my life away from Manchester including overseas when there was a lot less televised football and I had to watch what was around.
I now watch more City than everything else but will enjoy things like the World Cup.

I can only watch City.
I pay fortunes for all the Sky,BT whatever and occasionally tune into a big non City game but I never stick with it and bang a movie and check scores on flashscores but then if the team I want to get beat are dropping points I’ll tune in with less than ten minutes to go and every single time…100%…they will score.

Like myself I think most City fans are football fans. If I go in a pub and there's a game on TV I'll watch it. But it's noticeable United fans don't even know there's a game on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.