future expansion

pirate said:
Wexford Blue said:
Wonder how many additional seats would be added by 'filling in' the corners?
Extend the 3rd tiers to the left and right to meet the start of the north/south stands.
Don't know much about it but surely that would be the least drastic way to increase capacity?... Might not get a huge amount but if would be a start.
colin_bell_and_north_stands_etihad_stadium.jpg

that would affect the pitch quality
the corners open to let in a cross flow of air when the stadium is not in use.
Its thiscross flow that enables the grass to grow properly

Incorrect! Not many other stadiums in the world have these vents in the corner. They were actually put in to ventilate compensating for the effect of the BAlti pies. Happy to set the record straight like....

With the amount of experts on this thread the club need look no further than bluemoon for all their expansion questions.

How many seats do you think would be available by digging down and or building into corners? 2-3k

eshiers1 said:
jonmcity said:
Don't think you need to take the whole roof off, the south stand part of the roof was added after conversion from the games.

while the roof was not in place, the tension cabling system was

the roof works as one large system, it will all have to come down if we want to expand

This is correct the roof is a mono-structure, the primary support being the cable-net tensioned cable that was fully in place for the games. The roof design makes any expansion very difficult and expensive, it wasn't designed with expansion in mind despite what you may hear.

The reason the north stand was only temporary for the games is athletics and field events need a bigger area that a football pitch The design of the stadium from the outset was a football stadium it was never an athletics stadium The solution to this is quite brilliant and the way the local geography was utilised with the pitch being 7M below ground level but above the water table was inspired

richards30 said:
flipmode said:

Looks good doesn't it?
fuck me it makes a hell of a difference ?!?!? looks great that!

So I guess that would add around 12000 to 16000 extra seats seeing as the third tiers hold around 6000 each, then fill in the gaps and square it off at the top....? 64 thousand plus, nice size and should look fabulous...........

kramer said:
eshiers1 said:
jonmcity said:
Don't think you need to take the whole roof off, the south stand part of the roof was added after conversion from the games.

while the roof was not in place, the tension cabling system was

the roof works as one large system, it will all have to come down if we want to expand

This is correct the roof is a mono-structure, the primary support being the cable-net tensioned cable that was fully in place for the games. The roof design makes any expansion very difficult and expensive, it wasn't designed with expansion in mind despite what you may hear.

The reason the north stand was only temporary for the games is athletics and field events need a bigger area that a football pitch The design of the stadium from the outset was a football stadium it was never an athletics stadium The solution to this is quite brilliant and the way the local geography was utilised with the pitch being 7M below ground level but above the water table was inspired
Do you know how far the water table is below the existing pitch level? Seems like there's enough space inside the ground to add at least 5 rows to the 1st tier. 5 rows, 40 blocks, 30 seats a block = 6,000 seats. Have I over-estimated the number of rows available, or blocks, seats per block? I think a combination of squeezing extra seats into the corners and digging down could get us up to 54 or 55k which might be OK and that would make us a UEFA Champions League Final venue as well

I'm sure I read something from the club saying it would be relatively easy to add another 2,000 seats. Where would they go if not the corners?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.