Garcia and his fans from last season

peter.evans said:
I don't have a problem with people giving their opinions, right or wrong, on a player. That is what this forum is about. What does make me laugh is that there appear to be 'untouchable' players who are overpraised and can simply do no wrong and others who get slaughtered as part of a herd mentality as soon as they fart out of place. For example, am I the only person who though captain fantastic got himself injured and out for a month the other night with a ridiculously unnecessary and stupid tackle ? Would a truly great defender have dived in like that in that situation,e.g. a great defender like a Baresi or a Beckenbaur ? s !!

Kompanys tackle was perfectly timed and he was in no sense out of position.
Blaming him for getting a groin strain for that is a bit like blaming a winger for running quickly and getting a hamstring strain a bit silly.

TCIB said:
I think he reads the game well his main issue is speed.
Nige for example had pace to get across and tackle clean.

De Jong is not quick on any level. I would say he is no quicker than Garcia. However, De Jong is better at keeping the ball and although his distribution is far from special, he is a better passer than the Spaniard. I feel nervous whenever Garcia has the ball.

cleavers said:
FantasyIreland said:
I admire your faith in a player blatantly out of his depth and one i'm convinced would cost us dearly against anything approaching quality opposition.
Well I'll trust Pellegrini's opinion before yours, so far he has been selected to be part of the squad.

To be fair, we don't know if Pellegrini rates him.

I think we should only judge him once he has played in his strongest position, central midfield, under Pellegrini.

My own opinion is that he is a clever player and has a lot more to offer. However, if he does play in midfield, he will need to play alongside two others. Hopefully, he will never play for us in a midfield two with Yaya.

Pellegrini comes across to me as a manager who builds a formation around his players rather than having a set formation and then trying to put square pegs in round holes. For that reason, I am confident Garcia will have a more positive impact this season.

peter.evans said:
I don't have a problem with people giving their opinions, right or wrong, on a player. That is what this forum is about. What does make me laugh is that there appear to be 'untouchable' players who are overpraised and can simply do no wrong and others who get slaughtered as part of a herd mentality as soon as they fart out of place. For example, am I the only person who though captain fantastic got himself injured and out for a month the other night with a ridiculously unnecessary and stupid tackle ? Would a truly great defender have dived in like that in that situation,e.g. a great defender like a Baresi or a Beckenbaur ? Or would a great defender have dived in and got himself sent off in an FA cup final and probably cost us the FA cup like Zabaleta did ? ( BTW I am a big fan of both Kompany and Zabaleta ).

Personally I think Javi Garcia is a good footballer and has played well on many occasions for City. He is asked to do a job which he does well and often looks exposed because of lack of support from his fellow midfielders, Silva, Nasri and Toure being the prime culprits. However, I accept that I am probably in the minority as I do like my footballers with intelligence and technique ahead of brawn and pace, which is often seen to be what makes a great player according to British football fans, You know, the ones who play like that and have never won a bean at international level as opposed to a team like Spain where, er, brain and technique are seen as the priority !

As for the guy who said Garcia is 'OK' against ten man Newcastle and couldn't cut it against the top sides, I suggest you watch a 90 minute recording of the Real Madrid and Chelsea games from last season, then come back and let me know who you thought of Garcias performances in those games !!

I agree to an extent about Kompany, it wasn't necessary to make that tackle, it was out on the left wing and Newcastle wouldn't have been in a threatening position had he not made it, so at 3 or 4 nil, whatever it was at the time, it was a bit daft. However, he's a player that loves to make tackles and if you try and coach it out of him too much you'll lose what makes him great so it's a bit of a balancing act.

As for Zabaleta, I have to disagree entirely, he prevented an almost certain goal by getting himself sent off, in effect sacrificing himself so that we'd still have a chance. I'd rather it have been 0-0 with us having 10 men than 1-0 down with 10 minutes to play against a very determined Wigan side.

Paul11/12 said:
Barcon said:
Not trying to be a dick or anything but, what is the purpose of starting a thread slagging off City players? I just don't get it. Why not wait until he's gone before having a go?

I'm not slagging him off on here, I can see he tries his hardest. I'm having a go at the Garcia lovers from last year that slagged me off and told me how great he'll be once he'd adapted to our game. I'm just asking any of those fans who they'd like to see him take the place of as far as game time is concerned? Shall we leave Fern out, for a few games here and there so Garcia can get his act together, or maybe a fit Rodwell should be left on the bench while Garcia learns the British style? Maybe Milner, more often than not was MOM when he got his chances last season! How about taking the place of Yaya, would that be ok?

No mate. You seem to be mistaking me for somebody that rates him just because I'm not slagging him off.

kenzie115 said:
peter.evans said:
I don't have a problem with people giving their opinions, right or wrong, on a player. That is what this forum is about. What does make me laugh is that there appear to be 'untouchable' players who are overpraised and can simply do no wrong and others who get slaughtered as part of a herd mentality as soon as they fart out of place. For example, am I the only person who though captain fantastic got himself injured and out for a month the other night with a ridiculously unnecessary and stupid tackle ? Would a truly great defender have dived in like that in that situation,e.g. a great defender like a Baresi or a Beckenbaur ? Or would a great defender have dived in and got himself sent off in an FA cup final and probably cost us the FA cup like Zabaleta did ? ( BTW I am a big fan of both Kompany and Zabaleta ).

Personally I think Javi Garcia is a good footballer and has played well on many occasions for City. He is asked to do a job which he does well and often looks exposed because of lack of support from his fellow midfielders, Silva, Nasri and Toure being the prime culprits. However, I accept that I am probably in the minority as I do like my footballers with intelligence and technique ahead of brawn and pace, which is often seen to be what makes a great player according to British football fans, You know, the ones who play like that and have never won a bean at international level as opposed to a team like Spain where, er, brain and technique are seen as the priority !

As for the guy who said Garcia is 'OK' against ten man Newcastle and couldn't cut it against the top sides, I suggest you watch a 90 minute recording of the Real Madrid and Chelsea games from last season, then come back and let me know who you thought of Garcias performances in those games !!

I agree to an extent about Kompany, it wasn't necessary to make that tackle, it was out on the left wing and Newcastle wouldn't have been in a threatening position had he not made it, so at 3 or 4 nil, whatever it was at the time, it was a bit daft. However, he's a player that loves to make tackles and if you try and coach it out of him too much you'll lose what makes him great so it's a bit of a balancing act.

As for Zabaleta, I have to disagree entirely, he prevented an almost certain goal by getting himself sent off, in effect sacrificing himself so that we'd still have a chance. I'd rather it have been 0-0 with us having 10 men than 1-0 down with 10 minutes to play against a very determined Wigan side.

Have to say I'm with you on your comments about both Kompany and Zabaleta. Zabba took one for the team as a result of someone else's mistake (as I recall Milner having to do likewise in another match). If Kompany has one weakness (which will get ironed out with age and experience) it is that impulsive streak to dive in where it's not necessary. He risks mistiming the tackle and either getting injured or (as with Nani in the FA Cup) getting sent off. Interestingly in THAT QPR game he chose not to and QPR scored from the cross. Maybe that still weighs on his mind.

I'm not convinced that we have seen the best consistently from Garcia and that like many other players under Mancini last season , team instructions and tactics didn't utilise him effectively.

IMHO I still think we need to strengthen our defence before transfer deadline day, as now both Kompany and Richards look injury prone (which is why I think we can rely more on Zabba than Richards) and believe that this season will be as close as when we won the title because the top 10 all look capable of taking points off each other. We need to make sure we don't slip up against the lower half teams 'cos that's where I feel the title will be won or lost. A clean sheet at Cardiff would be a great start!
CTID

FantasyIreland said:
The sooner we can rid ourselves of this bloke the better,he has nothing to offer our first team and is preventing us signing someone who can.

A terrible purchase.

-- 23 Aug 2013 01:21 --

NoahCity said:
He'll be back up to Yaya/Fernandinho along with Milner, Rodwell and Barry.

He's pub league in comparison to the above.
Every club needs squad players.

He was exemplary when he came on for Kompany the other night. Won every single header (I think six) he went up for, didn't give he ball away once and covered Zaba a few times very well after a Zaba attack down the right.

Exactly what was needed after our captain went off injured.

peter.evans said:

Good post mate.

Silly needless three yard passes in midfield by Zaba Yaya Navas and Silva then a burst forward to nothing by Fernandinho saw us lose the ball and Zaba Yaya Navas Silva and Fernandinho all too far advanced out of position saw Kompany left on his own - poor play by all five players - then Kompany dived in as he thought he had to cover for them, when he really didn't need to as he could have stayed on his feet. How many times have we seen threads laughing about Phil Jones being shit because he's always diving in?

Yet García does well - and he had some excellent games for us last season including Newcastle, Madrid, Chelsea and Stoke - yet gets another thread full of posts slating in him while the untouchables are left alone.

Why not get behind the lad and hope he does well for us in the game time he does get (as it won't be that much as he will just be a squad player)?!

Kenzie. You may well be right re the Zab tackle in the cup final but from the other end of the ground, where I was sitting, it looked a bit rash to say the least. Had we stayed 11 v 11 I think we would have gone on to win, although it was probably our worst performance of the season !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.