Garry Cook resigns (merged)

Re: Garry Cook resigns

Sorry if already posted
Man City chief Cook resigns
9th September 2011 

GARRY Cook, chief executive of Manchester City FC, has resigned amid a controversy over an email sent to a player's mother.

The club launched an investigation earlier this week after claims in a newspaper that Cook has mocked the mother of player Nedum Onuoha, who was acting as her son's agent, and was battling cancer.

Ex-Nike man Cook, who has been wirth City for four years, has driven the transformation of the club since the takeover by the Abu Dhabi United Group.

The club has named director John MacBeath as interim chief executive while a permanent replacement is found.

Lifeling City fan and Tesco Asia chief executive David Potts has already been linked with one of the highest profile roles in British sport. 

In a statement regardijng Cook, who was paid £1.8m last year, City said: "The club announce that the board led review initiated on Monday of this week, as a response to allegations made to the football club, football authorities and a national newspaper by Dr Anthonia Onuoha, has been concluded.

"As a result, the Club can confirm that there is foundation to Dr Onuoha’s allegations and the Chairman has written to apologise to Dr Onuoha for any distress caused.

"Following the findings of the review, chief executive officer Garry Cook has offered his resignation, which has been accepted with regret by the board."

Chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak said: "Garry has made a remarkable contribution to Manchester City Football Club over the past three years.

"His judgement in this matter should in no way lead to his accomplishments being overlooked. On every level, the club is unrecognisable from the organisation which he inherited and our staff and supporter services, community outreach and commercial activity have seen unparalleled growth under his direction with yet more projects to be realised on the horizon.

"On behalf of Sheikh Mansour and the board, I would like to thank him for his energy and tireless commitment to serving all those connected with the football club.  He will always be welcome at Manchester City.”

Garry Cook said: "I am privileged to have held my position at Manchester City Football Club and to have experienced the opportunities that it has presented. 

"The privilege is in part offset however by the significant personal focus which has at times, detracted from the magnificent achievements of those working at the football club.

“It is that factor, together with my error of judgement in this matter that has prompted me to reach this decision, which I believe is in the best interests of the football club."

don't know at the mo what any official announcement says but, if he was responsible for sending that email and then lying about it, he had to go, so there's no point in whingeing about the Sun or any other media outlet.

the 'cup for cock ups' remains city's - a trophy we still find it difficult to get rid of.

doesn't matter how good or bad he may have been to blue-eyed city fans - to a very very professionally run outfit - as we are now - he was always likely to be a liability, sadly, and had to go sooner or later imho.

onwards and upwards brothers.

Woah, I'm outta here. The brainless sycophants have found their way out of the Gareth Barry fan club thread!

A sad loss but he had to go really. Will be remembered as the bloke that started 'it' all. Best of luck Cookie.

Thaksinssoldier said:
BillyMC said:
mcfcliam said:
As much as I didn't really like Cook, at least he was kind of in touch with the fans and knew what we wanted e.g. cheap, affordable ticket prices.

IF Kenyon comes in, will we see the astronomical ticket price rises come in like at Chelsea?

Yes so in touch that he called us United. He was a non football man who didnt understand the soul of MCFC...he tried his utmost to ingratiate himself with the fans..for me he failed with that.

yes,so much so that 99% of those that have posted are gutted he's gone.

The guy went out of his way time and time again for supporters and made sure this trickled down the organisation.

It was his fucking job to go out of his way for supporters. He was never a football person and never will be no matter how hard he tried to impress certain fans.

El Kun said:
Disastrous. His contribution moving the club forward has been nothing short of outstanding. He sussed Kia was a **** also and refused to deal with him. Kia and the media twats have won and we have let them. Kia must be licking his lips at the thought of a new CEO coming in for a fresh start. Not only this but we could be well and truly fucked regarding FFPR considering Cook has it all in order.

It's not just your pure negativity and posting the same shit twice that make you stand out.

Guess the fucking other

i blame mark hughues if he dint sign tevez the kia wouldnt be involved with this club SPARKY U TWAT!!!

this is a joke by the way

Right i'm going to throw a name into the hat here...

Done an excellent job wherever he's been and could well be the ideal candidate...

Andrew Lazala. British born. Currently CEO of Metro trains in Australia.

He's had tremendous success throughout his career.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGaMH1uzXtM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGaMH1uzXtM</a>

the blue panther said:
don't know at the mo what any official announcement says but, if he was responsible for sending that email and then lying about it, he had to go, so there's no point in whingeing about the Sun or any other media outlet.

the 'cup for cock ups' remains city's - a trophy we still find it difficult to get rid of.

doesn't matter how good or bad he may have been to blue-eyed city fans - to a very very professionally run outfit - as we are now - he was always likely to be a liability, sadly, and had to go sooner or later imho.

onwards and upwards brothers.

The best post on this issue by far....take a bow son,take a bow

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.